"Earl" Gurney

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: "Earl" Gurney

Post by Freakzilla »

Kind of ambiguous...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Not so much, really. Let's PARSE! :D

Or at least clear up the pronoun references. ;)
HoD wrote:When the Harkonnens were forced to abandon it [=Giedi Prime], colonists left behind by the Scattering came from the Danian group, calling it [=GP] by the Halleck name [=Gammu] given to it [=GP] in the great remapping. The colonists had been known as Caladanian in those days but millennia tended to shorten some labels.
Nothing to indicate that the name of Caladan was changed except by natural (linguistic) process.

GOT THAT KJA? THERE WAS NO INTENTIONAL CHANGING OF CALADAN'S NAME! Moron.
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

SandChigger wrote:GOT THAT KJA? THERE WAS NO INTENTIONAL CHANGING OF CALADAN'S NAME! Moron.
That's how I see it; Caladan morphed into Dan by age.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Why call the changing of the name of one planet, "the great remapping'?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Freakzilla wrote:Why call the changing of the name of one planet, "the great remapping'?
A lot of planets were probably renamed, like Kaitan or Salusa Secundus, no doubt.
The quote chig posted refers to the name Gammu as the name it was given to Geidi Prime in that "Great Remapping".
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, it only makes sense that more than one planet was renamed (or it wouldn't have been "great"), but it's pretty clearly saying that Caladan-to-Dan wasn't part of it.

(Also, this is the only mention FH makes of it in the books, FWIW.)
Harq al Ada

Post by Harq al Ada »

redbugpest wrote:
rain_maker wrote:
redbugpest wrote: 2. Again - you assume that everyone has seen it. Fail.
You've never seen the Big Lebowski? :shock:

There's this book series by Frank Herbert ever heard of him?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Let's see how you're doing so far... Funny avatar with Jean-Luc, check. Clever sig line, check. Bitch-slapping the pet preeq troll, check. Yeah, you're OK. :D )
Raveem

Post by Raveem »

Four pages, mostly filled with attention to he-who-shouldn't-be-attended-to.

The earldom is actually of some interest and I remember scratching my head over it. Not about what Gurney did with it later on in the series since loyal retainers of royal households were often ennobled (and given estates) and... continued to do exactly what they did before. But the fact that it was an earldom. You see, since Dune nobility is obviously based on the European peerage, that implies:

[Emperor] -> Duke -> Marquess -> Count -> Viscount -> Baron.

All that makes sense, especially in light of the fact that it was *Baron* Harkonnen, intensely jealous of *Duke* Atreides: a barony is the lowest rung of the ladder whilst a dukedom is the highest, often implying descent from royalty (i.e., a title given out to younger sons or daughters' husbands to prevent them and their lines lapsing into commonality). As Hawat mentions, the Harkonnens "bought" their title, something looked down upon (but nonetheless not able to be denied) by the "nobility of the sword" (what Gurney, or indeed, the Corrinos have) or the nobility of the blood (what the Atreides have).

All well and good, but what has this to do with Gurney's earldom? Earldom isn't listed above since it is an English oddity: heritage from Scandinavian incursions into the British Isles. It is actually the equivalent of count. And that's what made me scratch my head: the Europeans have the list above. We have the same list in England, but with earl instead of count. But no national nobility has both. Yet in Dune we have Count Fenring and Earl Halleck. So either Frank Herbert made a slip, or he simply used earl and count interchangeably.

I suspect whilst FH knew about European nobility, he was looking more at British titles since, along with the earldom, that is in line with the fact (as mentioned previously in this thread) that Fenring obviously wasn't of the same Great House calibre as the Baron or the Atreides, but was a count. I.e., that the title is divorced from any ancestral lineal estate (i.e., noble status is not tied to vastness of estates held, but dependent on a grant by the "fount of honour", in this case, the Emperor).

Raveem.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Marhaba, traveller! You have been too long far from the sietch. :) )
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Could different Houses have used different versions of the titles, much as different countries do?

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Raveem

Post by Raveem »

Not really. All Houses were still dependent on the Emperor/Landsraad for their social position (remember, Paul had to invoke his "hatchetmanship" of the Imperium as the source of his authority), so there was no fragmenting of the nobility; it really was one empire spanning the then known universe.

Raveem.
Molluskapod

Post by Molluskapod »

<EnglishMajor>
Their are some interesting issues involved with the titles in Dune. For example the observation that the rank of Count=Earl. Earl Gurney was the right-hand man and friend to Paul much like Count Fenring was to Shaddam. Or perhaps "errand boy." Was the difference in title a subtle message that the Atredies would rule differently than the Corrinos?

Edit: Also both Gurney and Fenring were given nominal rule over Caladan by their respective emperors.
</EnglishMajor>
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I always felt that the titles were equal in position, but differed in action. Earls and counts had the same level of power and influence, just earls also had their own fief.
A Little Galach

Post by A Little Galach »

So I'm in Heretics, and the Gammu/Geidi Prime issue was discussed, as well as the Non-KJA origin of the No-Chamber being Harkonnen but post-Baron.

Gammu was changed from Geidi Prime to Gammu by Gurney. The No-Chamber was built by Harkonnens during the reign of the Tyrant before they were economically crushed and disbanded or diluted or whatever.

I have two questions:

Does this mean that the Harkonnen's ruled over their planet's renaming? I find this as intolerable.
Don't the Tyrant and Moneo refer to "Geidi Prime" in GEoD, and a Harkonnen melange stash there? Does this conflict with the above, and if so am I a bad person for pointing it out?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I don't think it's clear whether the Harkonnens ever ruled again on Giedi Prime/Gammu, but they were obviously not a small family and so would have remained there in numbers even after the deaths of the Baron and the two Rabban/Harkonnen nephews.

Leto would have longer memories of knowing the planet as Giedi Prime. Moneo would have followed his lead in how to refer to the planet.

You're never a "bad person" for pointing out places where FH made mistakes or was lazy, because he was only human and we don't worship him as some infallible being. He apparently never did any of the hard math concerning Arrakis and its size, gravity, orbit, etc. (There's NO WAY IN HELL you could have a midday sun directly overhead in Arrakeen, for instance.) And while language and linguistic matters, like this naming issue, were important in the books, FH was no Tolkien and he never really worked out a fully described new language for any of the peoples in the books.

But I'm not sure yet that this really is a mistake. ;)
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

It was mentioned in Messiah (IIRC, that is) that during the Jihad, many Great Houses dropped to House Minor status. Perhaps this is what happened to House Harkonnen. It is also true that the Harkonnens were quite a large family, other members are mentioned but not named in Dune during the gladiator fight scene and also in Rabban's thoughts, and when Paul reveals to Jessica that she's a Harkonnen descendant she speculates whether she's a daughter of some distant cousin of the Baron who fell out of grace with the rest of the family (although it's obvious her thoughts are a kind of defensive mechanism since the slightest hint of being a Harkonnen must have been unbearable to her).
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Redstar wrote:I always felt that the titles were equal in position, but differed in action. Earls and counts had the same level of power and influence, just earls also had their own fief.
"Counts" are called "Earls" in English Royalty. They are the same thing, a noble who reigns over a county. Earl's wives (or females with equal title) are "Countesses". An amusing etymological story I've heard for the English difference has to do with how "Count" would have sounded similar to the popular Middle English word cunte.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

A Little Galach wrote:So I'm in Heretics, and the Gammu/Geidi Prime issue was discussed, as well as the Non-KJA origin of the No-Chamber being Harkonnen but post-Baron.

Gammu was changed from Geidi Prime to Gammu by Gurney. The No-Chamber was built by Harkonnens during the reign of the Tyrant before they were economically crushed and disbanded or diluted or whatever.

I have two questions:

Does this mean that the Harkonnen's ruled over their planet's renaming? I find this as intolerable.
Don't the Tyrant and Moneo refer to "Geidi Prime" in GEoD, and a Harkonnen melange stash there? Does this conflict with the above, and if so am I a bad person for pointing it out?
I always assumed that by Gurney renaming the planet and it being swarmed by Caladanians that that represented the fall of geidi Prime and House Harkonnen, presumably in Gurney's lifetime. Gurney must have then been in charge of Geidi Prime or have some kind of authority to re-organize the Landsraad.

After an Atreides becomes Emperor and the Fremen are free to roam the galaxy in angry armies, the Harkonnens, who hunted Fremen for sport for 80 years, are pretty well done for.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Real power in the Landsraad lies in CHOAM contracts and directorships, ruling a planet does you no good if that planet doesn't have a product.

The Atreides Emperors probably just pulled the Harkonnen fangs by stripping them of their CHOAM holdings like Paul did to Shaddam, and left them on their poor homeworlds.

I don't recall any exports from Geidi Prime being mentioned.
~Pink Snowman
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

Freakzilla wrote:Real power in the Landsraad lies in CHOAM contracts and directorships, ruling a planet does you no good if that planet doesn't have a product.

The Atreides Emperors probably just pulled the Harkonnen fangs by stripping them of their CHOAM holdings like Paul did to Shaddam, and left them on their poor homeworlds.

I have a hard time believing that Geidi Prime, the home world of the Beast Rabban, wouldn't be one of the first stops on the jihad. Just kinda the way I always saw it.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Superdog wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Real power in the Landsraad lies in CHOAM contracts and directorships, ruling a planet does you no good if that planet doesn't have a product.

I have a hard time believing that Geidi Prime, the home world of the Beast Rabban, wouldn't be one of the first stops on the jihad. Just kinda the way I always saw it.
Muad'dib's Jihad was religious, not political. Someone still has to rule the planet.
~Pink Snowman
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

Freakzilla wrote:I don't recall any exports from Geidi Prime being mentioned.

Pillingitam? I may have spelled it wrong but, you know, the sodding enormous trees preferred by the very wealthy?
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Heretics wrote:Harkonnens had grown some of the finest pilingitam, a wood of steady currency,
always valued by the supremely rich. From the most ancient times, the
knowledgeable had preferred to surround themselves with fine woods rather than
with the mass-produced artificial materials known then as polastine, polaz, and
pormabat latterly: tine, laz, and bat). As far back as the Old Empire there
had been a pejorative label for the small rich and Families Minor arising from
the knowledge of a rare wood's value.

"He's a three P-O," they said, meaning that such a person surrounded himself
with cheap copies made from declasse substances. Even when the supremely rich
were forced to employ one of the distressful three P-Os, they disguised it where
possible behind O-P (the Only P), pilingitam.
lotek

Post by lotek »

gotta love the 3 PO joke :mrgreen:
Spice is the worm's gonads.