Shilling KJA-style may become illegal?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Lundse

Shilling KJA-style may become illegal?

Post by Lundse »

There are certain problems regarding this law, but I do applaud the sentiment:
Up to $11,000 in fines for writing a review you get paid for, if you do not disclose it.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/10/05/ ... id-Reviews
And a bit more info:
http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2009/07/s ... ws191.html
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/money/ ... ommis.html

Interesting, maybe they can call in Conway as a witness for the defence when one of the hack minions go on trial:
"Members of the KJASF get paid in merchandise for reviews without disclosing it, yet you say they arenot getting paid for reviews without disclosing it - how is that?"
"I won't answer that."
"Are you yourself a member of the KJASF?"
"I won't answer that either."
"Will you explain why you think getting paid for a review is not getting paid for a review?"
"I feel the prosecution is being rude and siding with people who have ridiculed me."

PS: I am sorry if this misrepresents Conway's views - I just haven't gotten an answers about what they are the last five times I asked.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Shilling KJA-style may become illegal?

Post by SandChigger »

Nothing at all about bloggers & reviewers who get "paid" in peer appreciation or virtual "high fives" & congratulatory slaps on the back or whatever the fuck that moron was twisting around to claim that we're shills as well? :roll:

How odd. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

SandChigger wrote:Nothing at all about bloggers & reviewers who get "paid" in peer appreciation or virtual "high fives" & congratulatory slaps on the back or whatever the fuck that moron was twisting around to claim that we're shills as well? :roll:

How odd. ;)
Well, at about that point where my little narrative ends, he would be thrown out of the witness chair for being in contempt of court.

I imagine the defence attorney shouting down the bailiff with cries of "ad hominem, ad hominem". 'Cause the way I imagine it, it's Arnoldo :-)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ad hoc propter non compos mentis in re corpus delicti! :lol:

(I love it when the little fart squeak gets his Latin up and tries to sound intelligent. Someone with user name "Arnoldo fayne" vandalized my user page on Wikipedia today. Ah, yes, vandalism ... the last recourse of the incompetent. :laughing: )
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

SandChigger wrote:Ad hoc propter non compos mentis in re corpus delicti! :lol:

(I love it when the little fart squeak gets his Latin up and tries to sound intelligent. Someone with user name "Arnoldo fayne" vandalized my user page on Wikipedia today. Ah, yes, vandalism ... the last recourse of the incompetent. :laughing: )
What does the Latin bit say, online translator isn't working to well.

On another note, do any of these guys ever realise that playing linguistics with you is just dangerous? :)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SadisticCynic wrote:
What does the Latin bit say, online translator isn't working to well.
It shouldn't say anything ... I just strung together whatever came to mind. :P

Ad hoc (lit. for this) is "formed, arranged, or done for a particular purpose only". Like an ad hoc solution. But I mishmashed it together with a word from the last part of
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc, lit. after this, therefore because of this.
Non compos mentis, lit. not having control of (one's) mind.
In re, lit. in the matter of, "with regard to".
Corpus delicti, lit. the body of the offense = "the facts and circumstances constituting a breach of a law".

It ain't grammatical, so it don't mean nuttin. :D
On another note, do any of these guys ever realise that playing linguistics with you is just dangerous? :)
Meh, one does what one can. :oops:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I can't see enforcement of this being too strong,
and frankly, wouldn't support the giving the FCC any
more power in any case.

caveat emptor, dude.
(or whatever the correct latin phrase is for "look out for your own ass")

on an unrelated note, tehKJA dropped a new blagh,
with just tons of "celebrity" name-droppings, reads
like a TV Guide article, or a Parade Magazine sidebar.

too bad I have no idea who these people are he's babbling on about, tho ....

lots of funny pics to do horrible things to with photoshop and such, so win.

edit: yes, there is a new one of The Going-Out Jacket,
yes, he's still wearing it,
yes, he's still a douchebag.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Ad hominem! Ad hominem! Ugh, Arnoldo, Hyppo...I can't believe these atrocities are still going.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Lundse wrote:There are certain problems regarding this law, but I do applaud the sentiment:
Up to $11,000 in fines for writing a review you get paid for, if you do not disclose it.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/10/05/ ... id-Reviews
And a bit more info:
http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2009/07/s ... ws191.html
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/money/ ... ommis.html

Interesting, maybe they can call in Conway as a witness for the defence when one of the hack minions go on trial:
"Members of the KJASF get paid in merchandise for reviews without disclosing it, yet you say they arenot getting paid for reviews without disclosing it - how is that?"
"I won't answer that."
"Are you yourself a member of the KJASF?"
"I won't answer that either."
"Will you explain why you think getting paid for a review is not getting paid for a review?"
"I feel the prosecution is being rude and siding with people who have ridiculed me."

PS: I am sorry if this misrepresents Conway's views - I just haven't gotten an answers about what they are the last five times I asked.
1. Chew on this - Members do not get paid for posting reviews in any form, including points. Individuals that get an ARC of a book will have to disclose that they did receive an ARC under the new FTC guidelines, which most, if not all, are already doing...

2. My connection with KJASF or any other organization that I may or may not be a member of is none of your business, so you can just quit demaining that I answer that kind of question. I refuse strictly because you (and I do not refer to just Lundse) have been such asses about it.

3. See question 1

I would expect that this will be the last time that this would be brought up, as this is a clear and direct answer.

I would also expect that, having had such a clear and direct answer, you will stop trying to flag KJASF member reviews "paid" reviews, since under FTC guidelines, they are not.

Post by SandRider »

okay, if you won't confirm or deny your membership in tehKJASFFFUUUU,
will you comment on the rape and murder of a young girl in 1990 ?

(you see where this is going, right ?)

edit:
Members do not get paid for posting reviews in any form, including points.
read your own club's FAQ, failure.
(this is why I hate you - this right here, this stupid bullshit, this .....)
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

If they recieve "goodies" for posting positive reviews, then it is payment.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Sorry, but you fail.

You are not reading it, you are interpreting it.

As a Special Forces member, we will be asking you to help us spread the word when a new project is released. This means we’ll want you to:
Post Blogs
Post Links
Post reviews on Amazon.com and other sites
Get involved in discussion groups
Provide local support (as needed) for Kevin's appearances and signings

Some rewards of membership include:
Charter Membership in the KJA Special Forces
Members-only bulletin board with direct access to Kevin J.Anderson, who will be participating and answering your questions.
A chance to win Advance Reading Copies of books not yet available in bookstores
Reading draft chapters and sneak previews of works in progress
Reading hard-to-find short stories from the KJA writing vault
Prizes and drawings
Special Invitations, Offers, and Discounts at http://www.anderzoneshop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exclusive Special Forces gear
Special gifts for assisting at signings or conventions

No mention of payment (including points) at all. You are trying to make the connection that because it says "We will be asking you to" and "Some rewards of membership are" that it means that you get stuff to post reviews.

Wrong. Posting reviews earns you nothing at all in cash, merchandise, or points. If you believe that I AM a member of KJASF, they you must also believe that I have access to information that you do not have.

I am stating it as a FACT. Posting a review earns zip, zero, nada. Plain and simple.

Post by Freakzilla »

That's obviously the way you read books, too. :lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Freakzilla wrote:That's obviously the way you read books, too. :lol:
Just so we are really clear, My claim that there is no reward whatsoever for reviews does not come from just reading the FAQ, but is rather from direct contact with the KJA organization.

Post by lotek »

if his "organization" is as well put together as his books I think the term might be slightly exagerated...
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

redbugpest wrote:
Just so we are really clear, My claim that there is no reward whatsoever for reviews does not come from just reading the FAQ, but is rather from direct contact with the KJA organization.
Even if rewarding people for shilling was their plan, I don't think he's THAT stupid to come right out and say it.

:roll:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:
redbugpest wrote:
Even if rewarding people for shilling was their plan, I don't think he's THAT stupid to come right out and say it.

I do!

(think he's THAT stupid :mrgreen: )
Spice is the worm's gonads.
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Freakzilla wrote:
redbugpest wrote:

That is the point - it is not the plan. Reviews earn no membership benefits at all.

Post by SandChigger »

OK, so you're saying that he's changed the organization and its initial rules since end of April? :)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

(...)we will be asking you to help us spread the word when a new project is released. This means we’ll want you to:
Post Blogs
Post Links

Members-only bulletin board with direct access to Kevin J.Anderson, who will be participating and answering your questions.
Prizes and drawings
Special Invitations, Offers, and Discounts at http://www.anderzoneshop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So as a member you are expected to do these things, and as such you get rewards.
And you say "Sorry, you fail". uh huh :crazy:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
rain_maker

Post by rain_maker »

redbugpest wrote:Sorry, but you fail.

As a Special Forces member, we will be asking you to help us spread the word when a new project is released. This means we’ll want you to:
Post Blogs
Post Links

Prizes and drawings

No mention of payment (including points) at all. You are trying to make the connection that because it says "We will be asking you to" and "Some rewards of membership are" that it means that you get stuff to post reviews.

Wrong. Posting reviews earns you nothing at all in cash, merchandise, or points. If you believe that I AM a member of KJASF, they you must also believe that I have access to information that you do not have.

I am stating it as a FACT. Posting a review earns zip, zero, nada. Plain and simple.
The bold parts prove your FAIL.
If the Hack removed the words "Post reviews on Amazon.com and other sites" from the "As a Special Forces member you'll be expected to" paragraph then, in fact, your argument would be correct. Unfortunately, for you, if (a) members are expected to post reviews and (b) members recieve compensation (prizes, gear, gifts, etc), then members are receiving compensation for posting reviews. Thus, any Special Forces member is a paid hack who should be required to disclose this fact when posting a review.

Additionally, your ongoing refusal to confirm your membership in the Special Forces is meaningless, considering that we have proof that you were a member when it started up.

FAIL ... again.
I had no idea that there were this many Frank Herbert fans left alive, what with the head exploding horror that is the KJA/BH atrocity.
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

SandChigger wrote:OK, so you're saying that he's changed the organization and its initial rules since end of April? :)
I am saying that whatever information that you may have seen, copied, or downloaded during your brief incursion when the site initially launched is woefully outdated, and has been for some time. Did you not think that his organization would grow and change to meet the desires, opinions, and needs of the membership?

The people who are members there write reviews because they want to. Period.

Post by TheDukester »

Brian Conway, whom everyone KNOWS is a KJASF member wrote:If you believe that I AM a member of KJASF, they you must also believe that I have access to information that you do not have.
Brian, you are simply unbelievable.

We know you are a member. You know you are a member. Why you insist on playing this little game is one of life's most enduring mysteries.

I'll stick with my original thesis: you know what's going on over there is wrong, and you're backed into a corner. Rather than do something sensible — for instance, simply admitting that Anderjacket's shilling is morally and ethically questionable, or just leaving the site for good — you've chosen to attempt to muddy the waters and divert attention from the real issue. It is your typical gambit when it comes to discussion: confuse, distract, misdirect, and obscure. Every single person who has dealt with you at this site now knows that's what they'll be getting if they attempt any discourse with you. It's why you have zero credibility here.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

rain_maker wrote:
redbugpest wrote:Sorry, but you fail.

Post Blogs
Post Links

Prizes and drawings

The bold parts prove your FAIL.
If the Hack removed the words "Post reviews on Amazon.com and other sites" from the "As a Special Forces member you'll be expected to" paragraph then, in fact, your argument would be correct. Unfortunately, for you, if (a) members are expected to post reviews and (b) members recieve compensation (prizes, gear, gifts, etc), then members are receiving compensation for posting reviews. Thus, any Special Forces member is a paid hack who should be required to disclose this fact when posting a review.

Additionally, your ongoing refusal to confirm your membership in the Special Forces is meaningless, considering that we have proof that you were a member when it started up.

FAIL ... again.
Again, because you appear to not be able to read or to comprehend what I am saying...

Posting reviews earns you nothing at all in cash, merchandise, or points.

Quit trying to use the text on the registration page in an out of context manner. There is no requirement to participate in any manner for membership. You just have to be an invited fan.

Post by redbugpest »

TheDukester wrote:
Brian Conway, whom everyone KNOWS is a KJASF member wrote:If you believe that I AM a member of KJASF, they you must also believe that I have access to information that you do not have.
Brian, you are simply unbelievable.

We know you are a member. You know you are a member. Why you insist on playing this little game is one of life's most enduring mysteries.

I'll stick with my original thesis: you know what's going on over there is wrong, and you're backed into a corner. Rather than do something sensible — for instance, simply admitting that Anderjacket's shilling is morally and ethically questionable, or just leaving the site for good — you've chosen to attempt to muddy the waters and divert attention from the real issue. It is your typical gambit when it comes to discussion: confuse, distract, misdirect, and obscure. Every single person who has dealt with you at this site now knows that's what they'll be getting if they attempt any discourse with you. It's why you have zero credibility here.
So if you know I am a member, and I am telling you that member reviews do not earn any cash, merchendise, or points, why do you think I am muddying the water?

I am clarifying an issue that seems to be a major problem for you all.

It's a crystal clear statement.