Cos even the SyFy (See-Fee?) community hates it.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Apjak

Cos even the SyFy (See-Fee?) community hates it.

Post by Apjak »

http://forums.syfy.com/index.php?showtopic=2314836" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do i care anyway it's SyFy...
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Seraphan

Re: Cos even the SyFy (See-Fee?) community hates it.

Post by Seraphan »

:doh: :snooty:
Added: you could've warned us what it was about.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Chilon wrote:...my interest in the DUNE universe is stronger than my passing desire for entertainment, and these works sacrifice the more important need.
Well put.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

These sorts of things are great finds, no matter where they might come from. Every example just adds to the proof that the "vocal minority" TheKJA likes to talk about is, in reality, quite a few people, with many varying interests, spread across all sorts of different places on the interwebs.

At this point, only his most mindless drones are still capable of believing his "vocal minority" crap.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Some of those posts were enough to make me jump out of it.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
lotek

Post by lotek »

Pushtrack
Ok, we're talking the newest book. Hm before I speak of PoD, I will speak of the other recent books. Heretics was ok, nothing on Franks own work. Sandworms was horrible. I read a bit of PoD and it was already coming across as worse than Sandworms which is an accomplishment, but not something I intended to endure when I have so many other books that I'd put on a higher priority.

I got PoD as a gift. Wouldn't have bought it myself after being let down by Sandworms, but I'll still give it a chance when I'm desperate enough. I love the original Dune novels, and when it comes to the BH/KJA books, the Prelude to Dune House books are quite good. Once you ignore the inconsistencies, that is.
Good man!

Dune Fan Store
Well... I just think you're arrogant Pushtrak and that's all about you.

:lol: :lol:

That guy's link in signature leads to a dune book store(duh?) http://dunefanstore.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
His review for SoD
Product Description

At the end of Frank Herbert's final novel, Chapterhouse: Dune, a ship carrying a crew of refugees escapes into the uncharted galaxy, fleeing from a terrifying, mysterious Enemy. The fugitives used genetic technology to revive key figures from Dune's past--including Paul Muad'Dib and Lady Jessica--to use their special talents to meet the challenges thrown at them.
yeah thrown is the correct term in this case
Based directly on Frank Herbert's final outline, which lay hidden in two safe-deposit boxes for a decade, Sandworms of Dune will answer the urgent questions Dune fans have been debating for two decades: the origin of the Honored Matres, the tantalizing future of the planet Arrakis, the final revelation of the Kwisatz Haderach, and the resolution to the war between Man and Machine. This breathtaking new novel in Frank Herbert’s Dune series has enough surprises and plot twists to please even the most demanding reader.

Wanker...

And the rest of the exchange is good fun too!
PushtrackIf taking a dislike to authors defecating on a franchise I love makes it so, then colour me arrogant.
DuneFanStore
You focus on minor issues but we, the imperial sardaukar will show no mercy to one that is so critical to the greatest novel known to men.
That guy's a preeq even if he doesn't know it yet!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I believe we know Pushtrak from the old Dumb Novels days.

IIRC he has alternated between the preeq & OH viewpoints.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

SandChigger wrote:I believe we know Pushtrak from the old Dumb Novels days.

You mean he's inconsistent? :P
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I thought his screen name was familiar.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
lotek

Post by lotek »

SadisticCynic wrote:

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

lotek wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:

Ho-hum, and there goes the great white hope.
Pushtrak wrote:Heretics was ok, nothing on Franks own work.
I'm not willing to assume he meant to write "Franks other work".
lotek

Post by lotek »

inhuien wrote:Ho-hum, and there goes the great white hope.
Pushtrak wrote:Heretics was ok, nothing on Franks own work.
I'm not willing to assume he meant to write "Franks other work".
Ok, we're talking the newest book. Hm before I speak of PoD, I will speak of the other recent books. Heretics was ok, nothing on Franks own work. Sandworms was horrible. I read a bit of PoD and it was already coming across as worse than Sandworms which is an accomplishment, but not something I intended to endure when I have so many other books that I'd put on a higher priority.
I'm not really sure what's that supposed to mean...
The way the sentence is set makes it look like Heretics is a kja book...

heresy!!
burn the witch and all that!!!
shadoo wrote:I have to agree, the prequels was so much garbage. I love KJA and his Saga of the Seven Suns is up there with Dune as another epic, but the writing on the prequels was so much poop. The sequels Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune was more than amazing, I'm astounded at the inconsistencies. Will I read Paul of Dune and Winds of Dune, maybe, or I'll just get the new series from KJA, terra and enjoy that.
really???
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

He mentions Sandworms directly after it, perhaps he meant Hunters instead of Heretics.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
lotek

Post by lotek »

I certainly hope so!
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

SadisticCynic wrote:
He mentions Sandworms directly after it, perhaps he meant Hunters instead of Heretics.
I'm thinking he meant Hunters too. It happens to me all the time, I mean to say or type "Heretics" and "Hunters" comes out. I punch myself each time it happens.

And this DuneFanStore guy is a dimwit.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

THIS looks like a job for CREATIVE ELLIPSIS MAN!!!
In Bizarro World Pushtrak wrote:KJA and his Saga of the Seven Suns is ... so much poop.
:D
lotek

Post by lotek »