Amp's WoD Notes

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Ampoliros

Re: Amp's WoD Notes

Post by Ampoliros »

where does it mention that all their planets were in the same system? Wasn't Bandalong hidden?
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah. I've always assumed that they'd spread out quite a bit since the Dune days.

(Was it Bandalong or Bangadong? :shock: One night in Bangkok ... 'cause that's all they ... ahem, nevermind. :oops: )
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I really don't recall. It makes sense that they would, but considering they were poised to conquer the universe anyways they probably decided to wait just a little longer. (Check?)
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Ampoliros wrote:Pg 33 -Passengers in the common area are talking about the news of Paul’s death. How did they know if Jessica just
found out? Why isn’t Jessica surprised and angered? (Gurney’s spy network should be shot)

Pg 34 -‘Rapt Pupil’ isn’t the phrase ‘apt pupil’?
-Jessica and Gurney see a Way-kool steward distributing Bronso’s tract. Let’s not investigate it yet…right after
someone in the same bar was killed in a knife fight for arguing the same subject. Amazing Guild security…
Typical McDune character idiocy. Characters who are normally extremely clever or observational end up extremely dumbed down and ignorant, mainly to serve the authors' stupid plots and pointless sub-plots.

And what is "way-kool?"
Ampoliros wrote:Pg 37-38-Quickly Ruined by Stilgar’s execution of Mohaim, which we are told was awesome. KJA apparently forgets
that Paul trained the Fedayken to resist voice, instead he has Stilgar gag Mohaim.
The Fremen were naturally resistant to voice, as noted by Jessica in Dune. Remember Jamis?
Ampoliros wrote:Pg 42. -Apparently the VIP landing pad is in the middle of a huge crowd at the public landing port.
-Senator Amidala almost assassinated on the landing pad by explosion.
-Crowd is awed by the moisture in the blood spread by the explosion.
Amidala? Huh?

And somehow the idea of a giant crowd in awe of some blood is really funny. Although, shouldn't they be used to seeing Fremen diving for coins in tanks by now?
Ampoliros wrote: Pg44 -Ha Ha Ha Duncan was drunk once…

He gets drunk again? Somehow I don't see a Zensunni Mentat going on a bender... Although I do love me a good drunken Duncan scene. :D
Ampoliros wrote: Pg 45 -Leto and Ghanima “would never know their father…just political pawns.” (Jessica’s thoughts.)
-Alia suggests that Ghanima was named in honor of Harah, not for the fact that she was gained from losing his
wife to childbirth and politics.
Well I guess since Jessica is totally clueless to everything else, she might not know that the twins were preborn. Has she not seen them yet, or is Alia not telling her? Shouldn't they have the eyes of Reverend Mothers? Even though the twins haven't developed speech yet, I imagine Frank Herbert's Jessica would be able to tell by the way they stare at her, let alone the obviously blue eyes.

And I'm not sure I see the connection between Harah and Ghanima... Two totally different names.
Ampoliros wrote: Pg 48 -Jessica doesn’t know her parentage (OM much KJA? She knows the Baron is her father.)
OM? Jessica knew she was the Baron's offspring before The Agony. ;)
Ampoliros wrote: -“I write what is true about Muad’dib, or what should be true. Some critics accuse me of distorting the facts and
writing shameless misinformation…Let these critics return in a thousand years and look at history; then see if they
dismiss my work as propaganda
Two things. First: This is definitely KJA attempting to flesh out the whole in-universe classic dune thing, and it's pathetic. Second: That entire paragraph MAKES NO SENSE! Notice the emphasis I placed up there. If Irulan admits that what she writes isn't necessarily true, then why is she bitching about these critics? And how are they supposed to have a better idea of history 1000 years from then? They'll all be basing it on HER LIES, so OF COURSE her work won't be seen just as propaganga! Arrg, the stupid cunt-nuggets don't even think when they write!
Ampoliros wrote:Jessica lets Irulan out of Death Cell Prison. Alia I guess doesn’t care that she ‘reeks of
trustworthyness!’
Haha, nice one Amp! You'd think they'd at least read the book that theirs is a direct sequel to. Wasn't it Alia who says that?
Ampoliros wrote: Pg 77 -Tupile Alliance asks for Landsraad representation. KJA doesn’t know what the fuck Tupile is obviously. He thinks
Paul gave them amnesty and the right to return. NO, HE PROMISED NOT TO SEEK TUPILE SO IT WOULD REMAIN A
HIDDEN SANCTUARY FOR EXILED HOUSES.
Why would Tupile want representation in the Landsraad? They'd want to protect their anonymity. Keith and Bobo sure are desperate for ridiculous sub-plots.
Ampoliros wrote:Pg 83 -Use of Fremen name for a wind. So, that’s why it’s called winds! How culturally clever they are!
Do they at any point bring up the whole thing about a single Willow tree helpless against the wind but causing it one day to be many willow trees: a wall against the wind? Something Mohiam said in Dune. Seems vaguely appropriate.
Ampoliros wrote:Pg 84 -“I know what you are thinking. I know what you are doing. Most of all, I know what I am doing.”
–St. Alia of the Knife.
Clap... Clap... Clap... :roll:
Ampoliros wrote:Pg 85 Alia does the spice trance to go into OM, not for Prescience.
Yeah, Murbella does this in Cunters of Dune, getting deep into the origin of Honored Matres. Foolishness.
Ampoliros wrote:Pg 87 -Alia wears water rings in her hair to show she is Fremen. Iirc, water rings in hair is a Fremen sign of betrothal/marriage.
Not quite. I think many Fremen women wear water rings in their hair (Not to mention Hwi wearing Ghani's during Leto's marriage peregrination) however I believe it is the specific act of giving water rings to a woman that is considered a sign of courtship.
Ampoliros wrote:Pg 93 -Alia is shipping copies of a “better” “revised” edition of Irulan’s book.
Titled "Dune by Frank Herbert"? Oh, so now we have Alia to thank for the inconsistancies too?
Ampoliros wrote: -Irulan’s “Official histories will easily overwhelm Bronso’s lies by brute force if necessary.” Unless Brian is now
secretly an OH, this is massive irony, no?
Do they ever say EXACTLY what it is about Bronso's work that she disagrees with? And in what way does she revise it? What specifically did he say about Muad'Dib to piss her off?
Ampoliros wrote:Pg 104-Paul has no dedicated tutor (except Duncan, Gurney, Hawat…)No mention of Mentat Studies.
No mention at all of Mentat studies? What about all the other books featuring young Paul? If they missed that, then I swear they haven't read Dune.

All in all, very nice work Amp. Saves me the trouble of reading all that garbage.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Thank you for pointing out my own inconsistencies. Hey look Kev, I can take constructive criticism!

In response :"Way-kool" are the Wayku, KJA's space-faring gypsies who act as stewards on Guild Ships. Apparently they don't have a dress code, since the one we meet is wearing sunglasses and listening to his Ipod while he serves at a banquet. I'm pretty sure Kev was thinking of the name Way-cool rather than Wack-o. Apparently they have some kind of link to both the Jongleurs and the Face Dancers and that only as an explanation why they hand Paul and Bronso over to a Jongleur troop instead of sending them home.

Duncan doesn't get drunk again, but Kev has everyone joke about that one time he did get drunk when he comes out to welcome Jessica.

It is incredibly showing of their understanding of Dune that Jessica has no idea about Chani's pregnancy. Paul tells Mohaim about it in a bid to save her life. Somehow I doubt that Mohaim knows and Jessica doesn't.

Bronso's work got him in trouble because he dared suggest that Paul was human, not divine. KJA and Brian have Bronso tell the truth, exaggerate that Paul is a tyrant, apologize for his regime, suggest he is not divine, suggest he is corrupt, suggest the priesthood manipulated him for their own gain.

within a few paragraphs it goes from Bronso's lies were so severe that any government would execute him to Bronso was just trying to portray Paul as a Leader who would have stopped the jihad if he could.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I really liked the casual dropping of the Star Wars scene in there.

I double-dog dare someone to do that in an Amazon review.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Shameless Bump, I'd love to see our new members take on this.

Also, unless you guys desperately want to read them, I think I'm going to refrain from transcribing the last 2/3rds of my notes.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

One vote for desperate howl/swipes here! :P
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

I quite enjoyed Amp's annotations, despite vomiting several times whilst reading them.

Post 'em!!!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Amp's Notes Part II Blue Text is a direct quote otherwise quotes are paraphrased.

Pg 117 Jessica never heard rumors of Guilt-Caster, yet Tessia remembers the rumors as a young acolyte.

Pg 118 Guilt-Caster Attack Go Squad! Psychic Amplification of Guilt to put the subject in a coma. Its’ amazing
no one has invented the Tin-Foil Hat. It’s the BG equivalent of “Wittle babby gonna cry? Cry-baby gonna cry?”

Pg 119 “Everyone lies, every day of his life. The effect of such untruths is a matter of degree, of purpose, and
of benefit. Falsehoods are more numerous than the organisms in all the seas in the galaxy. Why then are we Tleilaxu
perceived as being deceptive and untrustworthy, while others are not?
” Seriously?

Pg 119 Bronso acts angry and retarded. Rhombur knows without a doubt that the BG assaulted Tessia but he doesn’t
have any proof, so he doesn’t do anything.

Pg 121 Argument between KJA & son, oops I mean Rhombur and Bronso. ‘Cause Bronso is only his step-son…

Pg 121 Bronso noticed the decline in respect with which influential members of Ixian society regarded his father.
KJA’s son scolds the OH. We report you decide. Either way LOL

Pg 123 Bronso climbs out a window. Paul chases after him “awkwardly but with surprising speed” He’s new to
wall climbing, but he’s Paul!

Pg 124 I’m sure this part has to be stolen from some run-away-in-a-boxcar-join-the-circus book… Paul and Bronso
hide in a cargo container to get on board the Heighliner.

SEVERAL HOURS LATER

Pg 127 “You must have been very clever to get aboard the Heighliner."” They are told this
by a serving man “eyes shielded behind dark, opaque glasses. He sported a black goatee on a very pale face;
a headset blocked his ears, and Paul heard loud noises-music? voices?-wafting from the earpieces.
” Ennzyn:“It is
my profession to spot anything out of the ordinary.”

Hmm, so they got caught by Bono? If its this easy to get on board a Heighliner, then where are all the friendly space-
bums riding the rails? Or could you not include that part without getting sued by the Boxcar Children?

Pg 127 2 Noble heirs have been missing FOR SEVERAL HOURS and Guild Transports haven’t been halted. Or an alarm
raised?

TWO WEEKS PASS

Pg 132 Paul is worried that trying to see a navigator will only get you thrown off the ship?

Pg 133 Bronso has Ixian Keys that will get him past all the Guild security.
He doesn’t need them since no one seems to ask how he gets to the navigator anyway.

Bronso sees the Navigator, Paul sees a mutated shape through a gas cloud.

They get thrown in a cell. The cell has an “energy field”:
He and Bronso stood behind the electronic containment barrier of a holding cell. Waiting. The Guild had
already done full identification scans on them, and soon enough somebody would figure out who they really were.

Hey Kev, In DUNE they are called SHIELDS, and Paul and Bronso would just walk out slowly. Or use their Ixian Bypass Key.
The guild security has been a joke so far, why would they search the boys?

To be fair, the navigator (who should maybe possibly have SEEN THEM COMING) wanted to throw them out the airlock.
Ennzyn has such influence over the Guild he gets them to release the boys to him and then to RHEINVAR THE MAGNIFICENT!

Interesting Time-line here. The Guild is doing ID checks on the boys. They let Enzynn release them apparently before they
finish the ID. They don’t care or don’t bother to get them back when they realize they are the heirs to Great Houses. They
tell Enzynn who the boys were, he doesn’t bother to notify the Houses either, but he does tell Rheinvar, about a month later.
Oh and Neither the guild security men nor Enzynn, who was responsible for the two boys aren't fired for this amazing breech
in security. Ix isn't sanctioned for possessing bypass keys to Guild Navigators and neither House Vernius (sic) and House
Atreides are punished. Unless this is some kind of satire of the Guild = UN then its about as dumb as a home lobotomy kit.

Pg 134 Weeee! Let’s join the circus as punishment for getting caught when the guild was planning on tossing us out an airlock!

Pg 135 Jessica wants to make sure the BG don’t think she is desperate to find Paul… Cause that would be “emotional”.

Pg 136 Leto arrives on an “Express” Guild Transport reserved for Cargo. So…what are Heighliners again? Wouldn’t “Express”
transports be used for diplomatic and emergency use anyway?

Leto: "Paul isn't some weak-willed boy who can easily be talked into doing something foolish. No matter what Bronso may
have done, my son makes his own decisions.
" ACCORDING TO KJA YOUR SON IS A WEAK-WILLED IDIOT.

Pg 137 Mohaim chastises Jessica for caring that Paul is gone. She reiterates that Jessica should get to making a daughter.
Yeah, Paul is completely unimportant to the BG breeding program. His genes, gone missing, would not phase the BG one
bit… He’s only a candidate for the KH after all…

Pg 138-139 Guild knows where Paul and Bronso are!
-demand payment for travel
-no mention of trade sanctions or penalties for trying to see a guild navigator.
-Didn’t bother to return them, not their job.
-revealing their location would breech their confidentiality clause.

Pg 141 The Jongleurs are from House Clown of Planet Clown

Pg 142 “Harmony Wood” nice idea…stooped name and delivery.

Pg 144 KJA “If artificial X is better faster and cheaper why don’t Y just adopt it in their own Z? Because they are too proud!
So they Won’t!"

Poor Kev is bitching about not getting critical love again?

Pg 147-148 Attack of the Magic Jedi Clowns!

Pg 149 “I’ve already had enough trouble with Fremen Traditionalists who believe that Paul’s Past has no bearing.” OH War
mentioned yet again.

Pg 149 KJA er I mean Irulan is toying with the idea of writing a YA Dune. Yippee!

Pg 150 Paul used clown tricks, not religion and leadership and myth to win.

Pg 151 Clown Prince RVTM bribes a guild ship to wait for them… A traveling troupe can afford this?

Pg 152 Pilot charges late fees. RVTM threatens to take 100 solaris out of Bronso “in other ways”!!!

Pg 154 They aren’t just clowns, they are Assassins! And Face Dancers! BRONSO HATE FACE DANCER!

Pg 154 Apparently it takes 5 days to get from Ix to Chusuk at the swiftest passage. Apparently travel in KJA books has
nothing to do with distance, speed or time. Everything travels at DYNAMIC TENSION ZOMG Speed. Or is it Comb-over speed?

Pg 155 Mention of Guild Security on passengers. I guess after knifing in the common area, Kids breaking into navigator
areas, and Assassin clowns bribing cargo lifters the Guild finally thought security might be a good idea.

Pg 157 Common knowledge apparently that Jongleurs are assassins yet no one makes the connection between the troupe
and the assassination…

Pg 158 Gurney’s new baliset is rare fake new better wood. He buys it even though 1 page earlier he was dangling the sale
as a reward in search of information.

Pg 158 Duncan and Gurney look for Paul, but get distracted by shopping.

Pg 160 Halting construction on one Heighliner is enough leverage to make the Guild cave in to giving free information. Kev, your
homework for the night is to research TRADE MONOPOLY. Ixian congress spits in Rhomburs face and resumes the construction.

Pg 163 No such thing as showmanship, just use psychic powers to manipulate people K maybe hypnotism and charisma, but
to be really good be psychic. KEV discussing how the only reason his empty and motionless books sell is because of the huge
DUNE on the cover. Or maybe Brian wrote this.

Pg 165 Guild Genetic scanner ID’s Bronso as royalty, but its just a joke! Ha ha ha… /facepalm. Doesn’t reveal Paul cause he’s not
related to that particular house.

Pg 167 Duncan and Gurney spend a WEEK on Chusuk, even though they got all they needed to know within hours of landing.

Pg 168 Apparently the Face Dancers, Way-cool and Jongleurs are closely related.

Pg 170 High speed courier can get to Caladan and back w/ Atreides troops faster than Jessica et al. can get to Paul and Bronso.
-Heighliners travel instantly (for all intents and purposes), and Diplomatic missions would have landing priority! Stop changing the
physics of the universe!

-Oh, its because of the schedules, not the speed.

Pg 171 “How much of History actually happened the way it is documented?

-Theater's architecture is almost as stunning as the Jongleur magic show, so we are told.
-Paul feels like he can “smell” the light in the Theater. Er WTF?

-P&B on Balut for a week already, WTF is up with time? (wait…P&B…PINKY AND THE BRIAN!?!?!?!)

Pg 172 “Theater built by a famous architect…whose name I forget…”

Pg 174 P&B are going to help in an assassination! Yippee!

Pg 175 “Paul that was foolish and stoopid and you risked the entire House for…WE WUV YOO!!!”

Pg 176 KJA: “A REAL FATHER is the one who gives you a home and raises you…

Pg 177 Lets go to a BG world and see your mother, I don’t care what they think!

Pg 177 It takes 3 days to book passage to Caladan…

Pg 178 Finally, Leto punishes Paul for running away; GO TO YOUR ROOM!

Pg 179 Nice Face Dancer tells Paul there will be an assassination at the Play. Paul tells this to…no one.

Pg 182-183 Paul thinks something is wrong at the Play.

Pg 184 Paul saves the governor! Yea!

-Red Shirt dies in assassination plot.
-So does Rhombur
-Bronso hates Paul for being the hero and being loved by Rhombur.
-Jongluers act like they are caught and go invisible. Still get caught.
-Assassins are just scapegoats, we’ll let them go because they are Paul’s friend.
-Suggestion that the Assassin Clown Squad actually is innocent, even thought whoever the assassin
was used the stage props that Paul and Bronso set up for the assassin clown show to attempt the assassination.

Pg 195 More about how Paul’s story must be re-written to incorporate new info.

Pg 196 Golden Mutated Carp in the Atreides pool. (where are all the normal animals?) Since I have to use my imagination I’ll assume
they look like KJA.

Pg 198 Jessica almost starts to think about the twins future and heritage, but luckily she’s interrupted by Alia’s wedding announcement.

Pg 201 KJA seems to forget that Jessica is a Sayyadina of the Fremen during Chani’s secret water funeral.

-(+)Funeral decently written, yet water is given out, not her possessions.

Pg 203-204 How does Alia miss all these people at once? Surely she would have guards for Jessica that reported her movements.

Pg 206 Bronso has eliminated pictures and visual records
-Duncan remembers him from the YIB episodes
-Remember pg 66: A massive scowling face appears over Paul’s Funeral: Bronso of IX! Jessica recognizes him immediately.
-Seriously Dude, read your own fucking books.

Pg 207 Don’t need pics, Ixians gave them to us. WTF micro-plot.
-Track Bronso through tracts!
-OVER 900! Mentats specially trained to find Bronso. Why mentats? Why not just Imperial Security? Fedaykin?

Pg 208 Mentat Duncan realizes that individually wrapped salted peanuts COME FROM AIRLINE STEWARDS. Er I mean WTF BRONSO
USES GUILD SHIPS?!?!? NO WAY!

Pg 214 RVTM is dead, replaced by a Face Dancer.

Pg 218 "prescience -> seeing the future doesn’t help unless you can see the future." Paul could see all possible futures, I think KJA
forgot this.

Ph 219 Jessica and Alia see Paul in a spice vision

-(+)After 10 books, they finally got the spice orgy right! (mostly)

Pg 221 “All offworld ships were searched thoroughly, every passenger questioned, each cargo deep-scanned.
Bronso and a team of face dancers still sneak through somehow.

Pg 221 KJA’s school of religion: All high priests will try to assassinate you. Because they are Corrupt and Fanatic.

-Part II Also, this 2 page micro-plot suggests to Alia that she should trust Jessica (And Bronso!).

Pg 228 Alia (KJA) decides to sell “authentic replicas” to bolster the treasury marked with a seal of authenticity
(Brian) and blessed by the Quizarate (HLP)

-"I have decided that the only way to prevent the fraud is to create a seal of approval, an official mark that
reassures buyers-the faithful-that a particular object has been authenticated as the original. All additional profits shall go into the
government treasury…Official facsimiles, rather than fakes…She put the artifact back down in exactly the same position. Then on impulse,
she spun the piece around so that it faced the other way. Making her own mark. These objects were not really sacred, though she would
continue to act as if they were. They were just . . . things.

Pg 230 Stilgar: I know nothing of rivers… Stilgar (POD) screams ‘like a woman’ after falling in a river.

Pg 232 Security seizes a lunatic shouting (truth’s ironically) in public. He’s just an “inept fool and had never posed much of a threat
(Chigger Cameo?)

-Alia is planning on releasing a fake Bronso Pamphlet

-Apparently all Alia’s government does is execute people. Cause she is crazy and possessed.

Pg 233 Priests of Dur! ”Alia had studied the details of the ceremony so many times that she barely noticed as the Qizara spoke in Chakobsa,
following traditions as old as the Zensunni wanderers who were the forebears of the Fremen, while the Sayyadina spoke afterward in
flowery ancient Galach, using words that had once been uttered by Priests of Dur in royal wedding ceremonies, before their recent
fall from grace.
” FAIL AND AIDS

Pg 236 Duncan shows Gurney how much of Alia’s Bitch he’s become and how far he’s come from the Atreides honor he holds so dear.
They are discussing the merits/requirements of capital punishment.

Pg 237 Bronso of KJA is "outrageous and treasonous so much so that ANY government would need to execute him" –yet- Bronso of
DM was just a historian telling the Human side of Muad’dib executed for being a Heretic, not a traitor.

Pg 238 Neither Alia nor Jessica recognize the face dance “shocked” at its natural appearance and yet in all of Frank Herbert’s Dune
he never mentioned it looking strange and there were plenty of dead Face Dancers in FH DUNE CHRONICLES.

**Wait a minute, why is Bronso helping Paul? Last we saw, he hated Paul and severed all ties between Vernius(sic) and Atreides. Yet here he’s
helping to destroy Paul because Paul asked him too. But he still hates him. Soooo KJA’s logic is that Bronso Hates Paul, so he’s going to
destroy Paul’s rep. Yet Paul wants, no ASKED him to do this. So wouldn’t a vengeful Bronso want to help build up Muad’dib’s Myth? Oops.**

Pg 239 Seilto had offered to sacrifice himself. Face Dancers are helping Bronso to the point of throwing away their lives why? Here you go:
"I hear that Muad'Dib killed a Face Dancer, at the end," Sielto said with no emotion whatsoever. "An infiltrator and conspirator
named Scytale. Maybe that's a good enough reason for us to help you against him.
"

-Yeah, that’s the ENTIRE reason.

Here is where logic in Winds of Dune wins the Gold Medal for WTF:

DUNE IS ABOUT CONSEQUENCES (ECOLOGY IS ALL ABOUT CONSEQUENCES, DUNE IS ALL ABOUT THIS)

- “All Face Dancers have agreed to wear your features-on cue. Immediately after my execution, 'Bronso of Ix' will seem to appear
everywhere at once. There will be hundreds of sightings around the Imperium.
"
- Lets skip past the part where apparently a signal gets broadcast across the entire universe instantly and continue on for a moment...
- "Jessica bolted upright from her shaded seat, astonished and vaguely pleased, as far as Gurney could tell. "It's a
Face Dancer! Not Bronso at all-a Tleilaxu Face Dancer!
"

-Ooo those dirty Tleilaxu!
So, You would expect the next action to be Alia sending legions of Fremen and Fedaykin to hunt down the Bene Tleilaxu for helping Bronso.

Naw that’s too overt an action. Maybe she’ll call in the Tleilaxu representative, or ask for one to come to Arrakis and explain the actions of
the Face Dancers. A too little political for crazy Alia?

Or maybe we’ll just have to wait 100 pages for someone to even mention any of this long enough for them to completely dismiss the relevance
of any Tleilaxu involvement. Its as if millions of brain cells cried out in panic, and were suddenly silenced.

I would LOVE for one of the KJASF visitors to explain how we are supposed to ignore this complete breech of logic.
Last edited by Ampoliros on 25 Sep 2009 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

My eyes, they burn! :clap:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Ampoliros wrote:Everyone lies, every day of his life. The effect of such untruths is a matter of degree, of purpose, and
of benefit. Falsehoods are more numerous than the organisms in all the seas in the galaxy. Why then are we Tleilaxu
perceived as being deceptive and untrustworthy, while others are not?”
Amazingly bad. Truly breathtaking in its idiocy.

I'm almost ready to say that Bobo wrote that. It reads exactly like a desperate, wannabe writer imitating Frank Herbert ... and who fits that description better than his idiot son, the 62-year-old man-child?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:Its as if millions of brain cells cried out in panic, and were suddenly silenced.
:lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I'm afraid if I read all ten books back to back I'd die with a permanent face palm callous.
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

That turns my stomach just reading your cliff-notes... :puke:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

BRILLIANT! :lol:

More! :D
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

:cylon101: I fully and wholeheartedly give permission for one of our visitors to post this on KJASF or Dune Novels. Edit profanity as needed.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Oh man! Amp, are you ok? Have you gone to see a doctor? No one can go through that without getting sick.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Freakzilla wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:Its as if millions of brain cells cried out in panic, and were suddenly silenced.
:lol:
Got there before me Freak.

Nice touch Ampoliros.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

After reading Winds I took a 3 book therapy session of Dune Messiah, Children, and GEoD.

It also helped refresh any other inconsistencies, such as the fact that in Children, Alia and Duncan are married quickly within a month of Paul's death, yet in Winds its at least 3-4 months after, the fact that Hunter seekers don't work in crowds, and the fact that It was Leto II, not Alia, that rounded up all of the Great Houses' atomics.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Ampoliros wrote: Pg 133 Bronso has Ixian Keys that will get him past all the Guild security.
He doesn’t need them since no one seems to ask how he gets to the navigator anyway.

Bronso sees the Navigator, Paul sees a mutated shape through a gas cloud.
Ugh, then why was Paul so daft when it came to Navigators and The Guild in Dune? Remember his chat with Duke Leto? Even Leto was clueless: "Who knows? It's a mystery we're not likely to solve." Something tells me that scne ewould have gone a lot differently if Frank knew about Paul's wacky adventures with the Guild...
"I'm going to try and see a Guildsman!"
"Don't even start with that shit, Paul! We're locking you up for the crossing."
Ampoliros wrote:
Pg 158 Gurney’s new baliset is rare fake new better wood. He buys it even though 1 page earlier he was dangling the sale
as a reward in search of information.

Pg 158 Duncan and Gurney look for Paul, but get distracted by shopping.
What?! This should never happen in Dune. Ever. Fuck.
Ampoliros wrote: Pg 230 Stilgar: I know nothing of rivers… Stilgar (POD) screams ‘like a woman’ after falling in a river.
Maybe one of the authors wrote the PoD river thing, but the other one wrote the WoD reference to rivers. This is why their system sucks.
Ampoliros wrote:
Pg 233 Priests of Dur! ”Alia had studied the details of the ceremony so many times that she barely noticed as the Qizara spoke in Chakobsa,
following traditions as old as the Zensunni wanderers who were the forebears of the Fremen, while the Sayyadina spoke afterward in
flowery ancient Galach, using words that had once been uttered by Priests of Dur in royal wedding ceremonies, before their recent
fall from grace.
” FAIL AND AIDS
Isn't Dur a name for Leto II from The Scattering? Short for Guldur, I believe. What the hell do Keith and Brian mean by it???

Thanks for the notes, Amp. I don't know how you can handle all the pointless Adventures of Young Paul, and the stupidity of all the main characters.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Drunken Idaho wrote:Isn't Dur a name for Leto II from The Scattering? Short for Guldur, I believe. What the hell do Keith and Brian mean by it???
Exactly right, DI. This "Dur" god or whatever of theirs first appeared in House Atreides:
Kailea had cleaned herself up, made a valiant effort to reconstruct her damaged gown and torn lace, and then wore her altered appearance like a badge. "I should have been attending a ball this week," she said, her voice empty as if all the emotion had been scrubbed from it. "The Solstice of Dur, one of the largest social events on Kaitain. My mother said I could attend one when I was old enough."
Later in the same book:
Bringing up the rear was the green-robed High Priest of Dur, who had by tradition crowned every Emperor since the fall of the thinking machines. Despite the varying fortunes of his ancient religion, the High Priest proudly sprinkled the iron-red holy dust of Dur right and left onto the audience.
It's been suggested that this is a mangling of Abu Dhur:
FH in Dune Messiah wrote: "Blessed is Abu d' Dhur, Father of the Indefinite Roads of Time," Scytale said. And he thought: There! I've told him straight out that I come from a Guild Steersman and wear the Steersman's conconcealment.
FH in Children of Dune wrote: "Perhaps you have no choice," Leto said. "You are the fit-haquiqa. The Reality. You are Abu Dhur, Father of the Indefinite Roads of Time."
So they have either inappropriately appropriated the shortened form of the Scattering name for Leto II, using it millennia too soon, or they have completely mangled the Dhur part of Abu Dhur. Or, as a third alternative, just pulled something stinking and new out of KJA's fat ass.

Either works fine for me, but the second is my personal favorite, because in Arabic D and DH (like TH in Eng. that or there) are completely different sounds and the confusing of the two would emphasize yet again the IGNORANCE of the hack(s) when it comes to language matters, in contrast with the obvious RESEARCH and THOUGHT that Frank Herbert put into his work. :)

(I'm still waiting for an answer from someone about that Chisra Sala Muad'Dib BULLSHIT. :twisted: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

"... She put the artifact back down in exactly the same position. Then on impulse, she spun the piece around so that it faced the other way. Making her own mark. These objects were not really sacred, though she would continue to act as if they were. They were just . . . things.”

Anyone else seeing some blatant sub-text here? As in: this is exactly how Hacky and Bobo treat Dune?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Exactly. ;)

Another mark of Kevin J. Anderson's unprofessionalism: using Dune as a soapbox to air his own grievances.

Tsk tsk. :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Yeah. whereas only one passage in PoD was dedicated to us, at least half of WoD is a direct metaphor for the OH situation IMHO.