The horror.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Redstar

Re: The horror.

Post by Redstar »

Ampoliros wrote:"Guy on a forum" no

Guy who's getting his master's degree in literature maybe?
Guy who loves Dune?
Guy who enjoys critical study?

If I go for a Doctorate in literature (which I probably won't) my dissertation would definitely be on Dune.
Yet still a "guy on a forum" to me. I'm sure you have all those "credentials", but I neither had any idea you did nor do I care. If you're so good on the subject, get it done then I'll let you know if it's worth putting on my shelf. Otherwise it's just an ill-formed dream.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

SandChigger wrote: Maybe I've missed some altercation between the two of you?
I think I missed it too.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Ampoliros wrote:
SandChigger wrote: Maybe I've missed some altercation between the two of you?
I think I missed it too.
I really don't know why everyone seems to think there's a problem between us. (At least on my end)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Redstar wrote:I really don't know why everyone seems to think there's a problem between us. (At least on my end)
Your condescending, patronizing tone was what led me to think it.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

He's not the only person I've been snarky at. No need for Internet drama.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Right. Gotcha. Whatever you say.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I apologize if I've come off as condescending or patronizing, but it really wasn't my intent. Half the time I forget the difference between Ampoliros and Nebiros, then I remember that Amp is the Flying Dutchman.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oooh, sounds like time for a touchstone list! :D

Ampoliros is ... ruddy ... and very fuzzy.
Nebiros is ... swarthy ... and baby-faced.

Ampoliros is ... usually easy to understand and pretty much always on point.
Nebiros is ... never so, for either.

Who's got more? :P
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I think Amp works for a chain bookstore in Texas and so has some first-hand knowledge of the
retailing of books and Nebby is a dickhead from some unnamed third world country, like Fez ....

and yes, Redstar, you often display an elevated level of assholeness without being amusing
or entertaining or adding to the relevant discussion.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Amp has the cool Battleship Yamato avatar and doesn't think Ronald Moore did such a hot job with Galactica. The other guy: I don't know; I've got nothing.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

My only disagreement with Moore is that he didn't reveal Gaeta's role as Cylon #7.

I think Moore should get the rights to do a Dune TV series after Brian dies and stipulates in his will that KJA can't do anything else with the license and should if possible be whipped in public by Friend.

I'm posting the first part of my notes here in a few mins. Transcribing them took more time than I thought. No, I didn't dictahike them. Mostly they are just observations and refutations.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I saw a skit on Robot Chicken the other night where Moore was throwing darts at pictures of the cast to decide who the cylons were.

:lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

SandRider wrote:and yes, Redstar, you often display an elevated level of assholeness without being amusing
Well that's enlightening. Can't say I was trying to be funny/entertaining. But thanks for bringing this to my attention so I can withhold that behavior in the future.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Redstar wrote:
SandRider wrote:and yes, Redstar, you often display an elevated level of assholeness without being amusing
Well that's enlightening. Can't say I was trying to be funny/entertaining. But thanks for bringing this to my attention so I can withhold that behavior in the future.
If you're unaware of it how do you plan to avoid it? :?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Freakzilla wrote:I saw a skit on Robot Chicken the other night where Moore was throwing darts at pictures of the cast to decide who the cylons were.
That can't be too far from the truth. The "big reveal" at the end of Season 3 was one of the biggest jump-the-shark moments in television history.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Freakzilla wrote:
Redstar wrote:
If you're unaware of it how do you plan to avoid it? :?
More "Is this right to post?" self-questioning, I suppose.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

To post, or not to post: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing end them?
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

It is better to be silent and thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

(The Litany for Preeqs on (Dune) Discussion)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Aye, That's the rub.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Redstar wrote:

well, that's wasn't a criticism of you, you understand ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
rain_maker

Post by rain_maker »

TheDukester wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I saw a skit on Robot Chicken the other night where Moore was throwing darts at pictures of the cast to decide who the cylons were.
That can't be too far from the truth. The "big reveal" at the end of Season 3 was one of the biggest jump-the-shark moments in television history.
If you watched the "Finale Special", R. Moore actually admitted that the writers did NOT have the final 5 pre-selected based on logic and basic story plotting. Rather, they decided who the final 5 were based on which characters would be the "coolest" as the final 5. I'm dead serious. I can't stand Battlestar Galactica anymore (despite being its biggest fan while it was on) because we were all lied to for four seasons (and almost 6 years) about the series being intentionally written for 4 seasons (ahead of time) with a beginning, a middle and an end. In reality, they were writing it as they went along on the basis of what would be "the coolest (tm)" and didn't admit it publicly until an hour before the series finale. I, for one, will not watch a single episode of Caprica after the load of horse shit the final season of Battlestar Galactica turned out to be.

However, I thought the ode to Frank Herbert's Dune at the end of the final episode of the series was a nice touch, although I highly doubt it was intentional.

/rant off
I had no idea that there were this many Frank Herbert fans left alive, what with the head exploding horror that is the KJA/BH atrocity.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

rain_maker wrote:Rather, they decided who the final 5 were based on which characters would be the "coolest" as the final 5. I'm dead serious.
I had heard that, too (in my version, they admit it on a podcast; or maybe they did both).

And they chose unwisely, too. I went from huge fan to disbelieved outrage in the space of about 30 minutes, once it became apparent what they were setting up. I remember thinking, "No way, that's just too stupid; this is some sort of misdirection" ... but, no, it turns it they were just being that stupid. Because they are TV people, I guess. It's like a requirement to be a moron to work in TV.