Scientology and Legends of Dune

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Mr. Teg

Scientology and Legends of Dune

Post by Mr. Teg »

Dunecon 2007 Panel White Paper Part 1 of 5

The Philosophical and Spiritual Foundations of the New Canon of Dune

Spice Planet-Dune-Arrackis-Rakis-Arruckus

There is no question that Herbert did for science fiction what Tolkien did for fantasy. He was a giant of science fiction. His Dune series of books set numerous sales records and helped bring the genre out of the realm of space opera[1] and into the hallowed halls of literature.

Though fans believed they had bid a sad farewell to the sand planet of Arrakis upon Herbert's death in 1986, Kevin J. Anderson has assumed writing the Nebula and Hugo award-winning series with the help of Herbert's son Brian.

Publishers Weekly, Dune: The Butlerian Jihad, "The kind of intricate plotting and philosophical musings that would make the elder Herbert proud,"

Publishers Weekly, Dune: The Machine Crusade, "Dune fans will enjoy the sweeping philosophical power that surfaces, invoking the senior Herbert's remarkable vision."

The purpose of this paper is to examine the philosophical foundations of the Legends of Dune written by Kevin J Anderson.

Due to the lack of time and space, we don't intend to delve into the elaborate plotting of the new books, nor explore the direct influence of such diverse works as Star Wars, Terminator, Battlestar Galatica, and even the Transformers, which has recently been made into a cinematic production.

Rather, we want to go to the heart of the theme of these new books and shed light on the one source that in the darkness of space binds them all.

Scientology...

You may recall that Kevin J Anderson is famous for setting the Guinness World Record for the "Largest Single Author Signing." What he usually avoids mentioning is that the book signing was for a book co-authored with none other than L Ron Hubbard titled Ai! Pedrito . The original story, according to the foreword, is based on Hubbard's involvement in U.S. intelligence operations, particularly in Latin America, and was expanded into a novel by Kevin J Anderson.

One reviewer wrote, "as you'd expect from both Hubbard and Anderson, the pacing is brisk and the action plentiful." By the way, the full title of the book is Ai! Pedrito, When Inteligence Goes Bad. The success of the book signing and the initial rapid rise on the best-sellers list is said to be due to the mobilization of church members, cited as a common tactic whenever a book under Hubbard's name is published.

Something else you may also recall is that Kevin J Anderson often makes references to the Writers of the Future science fiction contest every year. Again, what he avoids mentioning is that the complete title of the event is the L Ron Hubbard's Writers of the Future Contest, established by L Ron Hubbard in 1983 and still funded and run by the Church of Scientology. In fact, listed as the author with L Ron Hubbard on Volume IX of L Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future is again none other than Kevin J Schwartz Anderson. The third author listed on the same book is Octavia Butler as in "Octavia Butler" of Legends of Dune. Quark of fate? Quentin as in "Quentin Butler" is also the name of L Ron Hubbard's son...

Part 2 of 5

You may also be surprised to learn the extent Scientology is linked with science fiction.

The founder L Ron Hubbard originally was a pulp science fiction writer, and in fact, his book Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health, was first publicised through John W. Campell's Astounding Science Fiction, the same editor and magazine that serialized the original Dune book. Even now Scientology magazines are often illustrated with pictures of spaceships and exploding stars, and some scientology books published during the 1960's and 1970's depicted science fiction scenes on their dustjackets.

The basic belief of Scientology is that a human being is actually an immortal spiritual being, termed a thetan, that is presently trapped on planet Earth in a "meat body". The thetan has had innumerable past lives and it is accepted in Scientology that lives antedating the thetan's arrival on Earth lived in extraterrestrial cultures. L Ron Hubbard used the science fiction term space opera to describe these incidents which are seen as nonfiction in the beliefs of Scientology and considered scripture. Otherwords, modern-day science fiction genre of space opera is actually an unconscious recollection of real past lives that can be uncovered in detail through Scientology auditing.
A brief sampling of the more than thousands of such collected stories or incidents through Scientology auditing does reveal a disturbingly common theme, that members lived past lives in robot bodies.

"A past life as a robot working in a factory in space, a planet blew up and the robot was blamed."

"A member went to another planet on a space ship, where he was deceived into a love affair with a robot decked out as a beautiful red-haired girl.
(Erasmus "...reverting from his guise as a kindly old woman to the more familiar appearance of a robot," SOD, page 19).

"A member in the body of a robot was frozen in an ice cube and trapped on a planet."
(Erasmus served as a synchronized robot under Omnius before he fell into an ice crevice where he was trapped for twenty years and had only the ability to think, BUT, page 314).

Other frequent elements found in collected incidents include bodies floating in green or blue fluid in cylinderical tanks.

However, the most widely know and documented incident resulting from auditing sessions was the story of the Overlord Xenu, sometimes also referred to as Xemu the Titan, who pursued the galactic genocide of billions of his subjects by detonating thermonuclear bombs on Earth after being deposed from power with the help of his renegades. This incident which dramatizes Scientology's advance level of teachings was made into a screenplay by L Ron Hubbard and later expanded into a novel titled Revolt in the Stars.

"Xenu strikes and knocks her sprawling into the corner. Xenu calls Doctor Stug to "robotize her," and "Depersonalize her with neurosurgery...she might be even more fun."

Starting to sound familiar?

Another core belief of Scientology regarding thetans or spiritual beings is they have the potential for "knowing and willing cause over life, thought, matter, energy, space and time," the ability to operate free of the encumberances of the material universe. In fact, initiates are encourage to believe their mental powers were unlimited ultimately discarding their "meat" or "physical body" taking an evolutionary step towards a new species or superman.

(Norma Cenva, "...to Norma, the human body was no more than an organic receptacle...she began to recreate her body, creating matter out of nothingness...anything, absolutely anything, seemed possible to her now...the embryonic superbeing Norma Cenva took control...")

The discarding of the "meat body" was a phrase aft repeated by the titans and cymeks as well in the Legends of Dune.

Another famous novel by L Ron Hubbard made into a movie with the help of John Travolta is Battlefield Earth, which was initially titled Man, The Endangered Species, was not marketed as directly related to the Church of Scientology at the time, but considered to contain many strong elements of Scientology doctrine. The few remaining pockets of humanity were enslaved by the Psychlos, who kept humans or man-animals, otherwords hrethgir, to help strip the planet of it's minerals ultimately ending with a slave revolt and the detonation of thermonuclear bombs. The book received many good reviews, such as by Kevin J Anderson who said, "Battlefield Earth is like a 12-hour Indiana Jones marathon. Non-stop and fast paced. Every chapter has a big-bang-up adventure."

Publishers Weekly said about the novel, "This has everything: suspense, pathos, politics, war, humor, diplomacy and intergalactic finance..."
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Tyrant Worm

Post by Tyrant Worm »

whoa.
Atrocity is recognized as such by victim and perpetrator alike, by all who learn about it at whatever remove. Atrocity has no excuses, no mitigating argument. Atrocity never balances or rectifies the past. Atrocity merely arms the future for more atrocity. It is self-perpetuating upon itself—a barbarous form of incest. Whoever commits atrocity also commits those future atrocities thus bred.
-The Apocrypha of Muad'Dib
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Scary, isn't it? :shock:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Where's the scientology recruitment video ala Cruise (and the follow up parody ala O'Connell)? :)

KJA: It is an honor to be a writer. It is a privalege to be a writer. As a writer you understand you really are of no help to anyone.

*flash cut*

KJA: When a writer drives by an accident, he knows that he's the only one that can sensationalize it.

*flash cut*

KJA: To me, it's all about the HLP. It's just good money (waves hand and makes swooshing sound)

:)
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

I have nothing but contempt for Scientologists... If this is in fact true, then I shudder to think that I have supported them.

What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.
-Julius Caesar

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/451/451.html
http://omacl.org/
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

Intriging.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

GamePlayer wrote:KJA: When a writer drives by an accident, he knows that he's the only one that can sensationalize it.
Remember how he blogged about hiking to the top of a mountain and came upon...um, happened upon two girls crying because they'd just learned their friend had died?

I just found that incredibly tacky of him. And saying so with passion is what got all the "blog" comment threads deleted.

He still doesn't understand how the concepts "Dune" and "blog" should go together. :roll:
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Wow.. I didn't know that KJA was really a Scientologist, I thought that was just a funny rumor. Who wrote that article?
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Mandy wrote:Wow.. I didn't know that KJA was really a Scientologist, I thought that was just a funny rumor. Who wrote that article?
We don't know if he is or not, he does make use of the church's organization to boost his sales though.

Rob
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Mandy wrote:Wow.. I didn't know that KJA was really a Scientologist, I thought that was just a funny rumor. Who wrote that article?
I did...work in progress. :wink:
CHOAM
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

It's very well written!
Simon

Post by Simon »

I agree, well written. Despite it's length it is very readable.

I admit I have a hard time accepting that an organized group (of it's size) would harbor such insane concepts (well there were Nazi's...)

It all sounds a bit to fantastic. Not that I know one way or the next. Do they have literature that really says "We are all robot spirits trapped in meat sacks!". Can you hook us up with some links? I'm curious and would like to know more.

It just sounds very "Heaven's Gate" to me.
Last edited by Simon on 26 Feb 2008 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Here's a link with more than you'll ever want to know:

OPERATION CLAMBAKE - The Inner Secrets of Scientology
Simon

Post by Simon »

I read Dianetics as a result of bordom and availability (it was the only book in the car on a long, long trip) and I didn't read anything about "robot spirits :lol:

ok, I'm going to check your link out now Chig, thanks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I found a paperback copy of Dianetics among the books in my old office. :shock:

Never read it, but it's kinda fun to do the random passage thing with.

I don't know whether the Thetan stuff is mentioned in it or not. Let's write Kevin and ask! :D
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I love Operation Clambake. I still have that website bookmarked from years ago. It's a good laugh. Go Xenu! :) :lol:
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

I haven't read the original book, but as far as I understand the part about the thetans was made public later.

Check out the South Park Tom Cruise episode :D
CHOAM
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Mr. Teg wrote:I haven't read the original book, but as far as I understand the part about the thetans was made public later.

Check out the South Park Tom Cruise episode :D
One of my favorites :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
orald

Post by orald »

Dad, Tom Cruise won't come out of the closet! :lol:

Thanks Teg, that's a brilliant article. When will you finish it you think? Is it all written down already as a draft?

GamePlayer, can you give a link to this O'Connell parody?
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

orald wrote:GamePlayer, can you give a link to this O'Connell parody?
That parody is the funniest thing O'Connell has ever done.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
orald

Post by orald »

Omphalos wrote:
I'm sure it is...a link would be appriciated though.

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

orald wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
I'm sure it is...a link would be appriciated though.
Ill look around for it when I get home, orald. Sorry, but I cannto find it on my work computer.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

orald

Post by orald »

I thought I recognized his face from somewhere...damn my youth watching of Sliders. :oops:
Well, at least I knew it went downhill when they started getting rid of all the original actors.

The bad Mission Impossible music in the background is kinda distracting, hard for me to hear him over it.

Lol, crazy laughing episodes FTW. :lol:

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

The Tom Cruise stuff from Superhero Movie is the only funny bit of the movie, I think they are online at youtube now too.

Rob