10 year anniversary...

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Nebiros

10 year anniversary...

Post by Nebiros »

On October 10th 2009 it will be 10 years since the release of House Atreides. The beginning of the milking of Dune. Maybe we should have a moment of silence or something. Although 2002 with the release of The Butlerian Jihad is when I considered the books to go in decline in quality but that of course is just me.

I don't know the date when Kevin first called Brian on the phone. That would be sometime in early 1997, but I don't know the precise date. If only we could have a time machine to go back and stop Brian from answering the phone...
Redstar

Re: 10 year anniversary...

Post by Redstar »

Wow. '97? I wasn't even born yet.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Hello, I'm 12 and what is this ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

A pronoun.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Wow... 1999 was 10 years ago. I started pissing about on the internet in September 1999, my first post on a Dune forum was a few days after that :P

Was a golden age... before the prequels came. :evil:

No, that's not fair - it was pretty exciting for the first couple of years. The miniseries, the prequels (which WOULD improve as the authors got into their stride)... <goes all misty eyed>
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

10 books, 10 years, 0 awards
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Ampoliros wrote:10 books, 10 years, 0 awards
:lol:

(It's funny 'cos it's true)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

KJA: "No awards? What about New York Times Notable Book?"

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Hunchback Jack wrote:KJA: "No awards? What about New York Times Notable Book?"
Stop it! :lol:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

The funny thing is, I wrote that post *before* reading your post in the "Praise for Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson" thread. The whole "notable book award" thing is *such* a joke.

:)

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Wow, ten years. What a crime. Just think of how many trees have been wasted in pursuit of these books. :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

GamePlayer wrote:Wow, ten years. What a crime. Just think of how many trees have been wasted in pursuit of these books. :)
Trees that provide shade, oxygen, and climate control. Trees that prevent erosion...trees that are home to countless species.

KJA is killing our planet. That son of a bitch.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

there you go !

that's the level of fanaticism I'm looking for !

{you forgot to mention that Keith kills kittens and laughs ....} :twisted:
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:there you go !

that's the level of fanaticism I'm looking for !

{you forgot to mention that Keith kills kittens and laughs ....} :twisted:
I heard he eats human babies.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

KJA is like a Christian Fundamentalist. He'll hold up a book he claims to be full of lofty ideals and truth, but he's only skimmed it and really doesn't get it and often acts in the exact opposite manner. But God help you if you show him the error of his ways!
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

AMEN!!! :lol:

Jesus wept ... but Tennessee teen Calvino Inman sheds burning tears of blood! :lol:

On The Early Show RIGHT NOW!

(I'd cry, too, if my mother had saddled me with a monicker like that! :cry: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

Ten years ago today now... Ten years and eleven books. Depending on your timezone.

Compare that to Frank Herbert: First ten years (1965-1975) two Dune books. Next ten years (1976-1986) four Dune books but if he lived possibly five if he released Dune 7 in 1986.

Kevin and Brian more than doubled that in number of books, but of course zero in quality.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

And it was completely left up to Kevin, they'd have done 20 of them by now. He truly doesn't care; it's just another series of hikes to him.

God, he's such a hack. Words fail to describe it.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

inhuien wrote:A pronoun.
:D

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Nebiros wrote:Ten years ago today now... Ten years and eleven books. Depending on your timezone.
I've still got about 7 months until I started reading House Atreides. :)
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

TheDukester wrote:And it was completely left up to Kevin, they'd have done 20 of them by now. He truly doesn't care; it's just another series of hikes to him.

God, he's such a hack. Words fail to describe it.
Someone posted an interview here in which Bobo sounded like he wanted to end the news books after these "Heroes of Dung" and several Great Schools books. I bet TheKJA isn't happy that his gravy train will be ending soon. I mean, what's he going to go back to after he's done hiking nuDune? LucasBooks won't have him.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

It seems pretty certain they'll be ending after the ridiculous "schools" thing (if not sooner, given that The Zombie is already either 62 or 63). I think he's already addressed that in at least two interviews, along the lines of "that will bring it to 18 or 19 books, and that's enough."

As for Anderjacket, it will definitely be the end of the gravy train; I don't see him getting a gig like this one again. Once it's obvious to everyone that none of his "original" stuff sells more than a few copies, it'll be back to tie-ins for V: The Miniseries and Eureka.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And then we can forget ALL about him again. :D
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

Frybread wrote:Someone posted an interview here in which Bobo sounded like he wanted to end the news books after these "Heroes of Dung" and several Great Schools books. I bet TheKJA isn't happy that his gravy train will be ending soon. I mean, what's he going to go back to after he's done hiking nuDune? LucasBooks won't have him.
Have any figures been released as to what he has made thus far from pillaging of Dune? Any way to guess? With all those best-sellers he's got, I'm sure (I would HOPE) his finances are secure; unless he drops $100 as breadcrumbs when he hikes about.
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

Slugger wrote:
Frybread wrote:Someone posted an interview here in which Bobo sounded like he wanted to end the news books after these "Heroes of Dung" and several Great Schools books. I bet TheKJA isn't happy that his gravy train will be ending soon. I mean, what's he going to go back to after he's done hiking nuDune? LucasBooks won't have him.
Have any figures been released as to what he has made thus far from pillaging of Dune? Any way to guess? With all those best-sellers he's got, I'm sure (I would HOPE) his finances are secure; unless he drops $100 as breadcrumbs when he hikes about.
I'm not sure what the exact sales have been and, in addition, what TheKJA's cut is of the sales. But I would bet he hasn't has as many "bestsellers" as he has had with nuDune.