First of the review deletions -- the conspiracy begins

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

TheDukester

First of the review deletions -- the conspiracy begins

Post by TheDukester »

Or at least the first that I've noted ... but I've been keeping a fairly close eye on it.

Anyway, as of going to bed last night, Jessica's Wind has 12 reviews and they were spread out across the entire spectrum: there was at least one rating in each of the five stars. This morning, there are 11 reviews and none in the 1-star category. And I specifically remember reading the 1-star review, too ... hopefully, the author wasn't kidding when he/she said they had saved a copy to the hard drive.

Judge for yourselves ...

http://tinyurl.com/hlp-conspiracy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... and be warned: we appear to be entering the Tor/HLP/TheKJA review-deletion phase. :roll:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Frybread

Re: First of the review deletions -- the conspiracy begins

Post by Frybread »

TheDukester wrote:Or at least the first that I've noted ... but I've been keeping a fairly close eye on it.

Anyway, as of going to bed last night, Jessica's Wind has 12 reviews and they were spread out across the entire spectrum: there was at least one rating in each of the five stars. This morning, there are 11 reviews and none in the 1-star category. And I specifically remember reading the 1-star review, too ... hopefully, the author wasn't kidding when he/she said they had saved a copy to the hard drive.

Judge for yourselves ...

http://tinyurl.com/hlp-conspiracy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... and be warned: we appear to be entering the Tor/HLP/TheKJA review-deletion phase. :roll:
I think you're right. I remember there being 12 reviews yesterday. I don't know exactly what was deleted, but I doubt Amazon would delete a 3-star or higher review.
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

I read the review in question, and am not suprised, since it was nothing but a long rant. Exactly the kind of thing that you guys complain about - no substance at all....

Sounds like Amazon is starting to do their jobs...

Post by TheDukester »

It was definitely the 1-star. Zero doubt at all. It was there, I read it, and I remember thinking that every star now had at least one review.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

redbugpest wrote:I read the review in question, and am not suprised, since it was nothing but a long rant. Exactly the kind of thing that you guys complain about - no substance at all....

Then why doesn't Amazon delete the 5-star reviews that are nothing but a regurgitation of the summary at the back of the book plus praise of the authors? Those are devoid of substance as well.
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Frybread wrote:
redbugpest wrote:I read the review in question, and am not suprised, since it was nothing but a long rant. Exactly the kind of thing that you guys complain about - no substance at all....

Then why doesn't Amazon delete the 5-star reviews that are nothing but a regurgitation of the summary at the back of the book plus praise of the authors? Those are devoid of substance as well.
None of those reviews violate the posting guidlines

The one star in question did.

Post by TheDukester »

LAWL!

I knew this would get you back here, Bri-Bri! Man, you make this too easy.

News alert for Brian Conway: Amazon's been deleting McDune negative reviews since the first book. We're used to it. Other than being annoyed when Amazon deletes a review that violated none of their guidelines, no one here really gets that upset about it any longer.

I started this thread because I knew it was sure to get a reaction from you. And I made very, very sure to use the word "conspiracy" in the title, too ... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

redbugpest wrote:
Frybread wrote:

How did the 1-star violate the guidelines. I don't have a copy of it, since I didn't think Amazon would delete it so soon, but I don't recall the poster attacking the authors or using foul language.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

redbugpest wrote:None of those reviews violate the posting guidlines
None of them have actually read the book, either.

Reminder: that moral high ground can be a slippery bitch.

(Also, your Treehouse friend Dilly-o's review is in major violation for mentioning another Amazon user ... and that's just off the top of my head)
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Frybread wrote:
redbugpest wrote:
Frybread wrote:

How did the 1-star violate the guidelines. I don't have a copy of it, since I didn't think Amazon would delete it so soon, but I don't recall the poster attacking the authors or using foul language.
The review was nothing but a rant about KJA and BH - it deserved deletion.
You will get closer to convincing me if the vine reviewer's 2 star review is deleted.

Post by Sev »

It was M's review - aka Meowthmama - that has been deleted. And she's done over 250 reviews for Amazon, so knows how to write, but because it's a 1-star... it's mysteriously vanished (even though at least 8 people had found it useful)
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

redbugpest wrote:The review was nothing but a rant about KJA and BH - it deserved deletion.
Interesting.

So what's your stance on 5-star reviews that are nothing more than a re-write of the jacket blurb?

And what's your stance on reviews from individuals who are members of a closed, pay-for-play, author-controlled website where the author offers rewards for users who will mention his books on the web?
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

Sev wrote:It was M's review - aka Meowthmama - that has been deleted. And she's done over 250 reviews for Amazon, so knows how to write, but because it's a 1-star... it's mysteriously vanished (even though at least 8 people had found it useful)

Ah. I remember her review now.

Now, in fairness, I expect Amazon to delete the 4-star and 5-star reviews that are by users who haven't posted any other reviews and are there just to promote the book and not to honestly review it.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Some Smart-ass Hater on Amazon wrote: :
5.0 out of 5 stars They've Done It Again!, August 4, 2009
By You Know Who "Man do I hate bad writing." (Midwest USA) - See all my reviews
This book are so good written. I always know Paul rally was off Caladan many times even though he dad said he wernt. I wish these book would come out in order though. Its too hard to keep trak of where everything is happening. I think us Dune fans wan't to see Dune rewritten so it fits in with the new books more better. Heopfully the movie will include details from these books too!@ Keep up writing (i'll keep listening).
& the fact this this review is still up
is proof enough that Amazon is deleting
reviews based on Stars, not on content ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
lotek

Post by lotek »

jeez is that for real?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I posted a new thread over at amazon, which is the proper place to discuss amazon deletions:
Strangely, against all odds, the 1-star reviews have begun to be deleted, once again.

Apparently M's review was seen as nothing more than a rant against the authors by someone who hadn't read the book.

Someone doesn't know the difference between a rant and a complaint: If the writer's quality, as proven by their multiple available works, is the problem, then discussing that in the review is very relevant to the review process.

For those who think we are a conspiracy of angry Dune fans, just go read some of the low rating reviews for the same authors other books. You'll see the exact same complaints:
bad or no characterization
sloppy irrational science
plot holes a 3 year old could spot
Characters with IQ's in the low double digits.
complete ignorance of the rules of the universe he is writing in

If the authors had allowed for the proper channel for these complaints to be voiced, they wouldn't need to be constantly re- posted and defended here. Instead they chose to joke that we are like terrorists.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

lotek wrote:jeez is that for real?
sort of .... :wink:
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

you should definitely add that to the thread over at amazon!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

"Proper place?" Yikes.

We have had a lot of new users sign up here in the year since Paul was published; I'd argue it might be relevant to them to learn that Amazon has a history of deleting negative reviews for the McDune books.

But whatever; it's no biggie to me, either way. Again, I started this thread looking to draw Pestie out into the open ... it's no accident I used "conspiracy" twice. :wink:

Mission accomplished!
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

SandRider wrote:
This book are so good written. I always know Paul rally was off Caladan many times even though he dad said he wernt. I wish these book would come out in order though. Its too hard to keep trak of where everything is happening. I think us Dune fans wan't to see Dune rewritten so it fits in with the new books more better. Heopfully the movie will include details from these books too!@ Keep up writing (i'll keep listening).
It's poorly written, and by a hater, but does not violate the posting guidlines, so it will probably stay. You prove my case, not yours.

Post by Freakzilla »

redbugpest wrote:
SandRider wrote:
It's poorly written, and by a hater, but does not violate the posting guidlines, so it will probably stay. You prove my case, not yours.
Dude, we've watched this happen with every book.

Wait for it...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandRider wrote:
lotek wrote:jeez is that for real?
sort of .... :wink:
ok ok I get it...
but then again considering the iq level needed to like those books when you compare them to the real deal it's natural I fell for it ;)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

redbugpest wrote:It's poorly written, and by a hater, but does not violate the posting guidlines, so it will probably stay. You prove my case, not yours.
I notice you are hooked on this thread. Will we see anymore answers to my questions in the Winds v Dune thread? Or do you yield that floor.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

redbugpest wrote:It's poorly written, and by a hater, but does not violate the posting guidlines, so it will probably stay.
It's also a joke, son. You know, like, ha-ha?

He did the same thing for Pauline of Dune:

http://tinyurl.com/getacluebrian" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And he's also written a fake review for CoD:

http://tinyurl.com/getagripbrian" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get it now? No?

Well, at least it's great to see that your humor-ectomy operation was such a resounding success.
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Ampoliros wrote:I posted a new thread over at amazon, which is the proper place to discuss amazon deletions:
Strangely, against all odds, the 1-star reviews have begun to be deleted, once again.

Apparently M's review was seen as nothing more than a rant against the authors by someone who hadn't read the book.

Someone doesn't know the difference between a rant and a complaint: If the writer's quality, as proven by their multiple available works, is the problem, then discussing that in the review is very relevant to the review process.

For those who think we are a conspiracy of angry Dune fans, just go read some of the low rating reviews for the same authors other books. You'll see the exact same complaints:
bad or no characterization
sloppy irrational science
plot holes a 3 year old could spot
Characters with IQ's in the low double digits.
complete ignorance of the rules of the universe he is writing in

If the authors had allowed for the proper channel for these complaints to be voiced, they wouldn't need to be constantly re- posted and defended here. Instead they chose to joke that we are like terrorists.
just one more usless thread....