It's The Combo That Gets Me

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

HoryThory

It's The Combo That Gets Me

Post by HoryThory »

Since I'm new hear, and still testing the waters, I'm going to just say fuck it and come out with my biggest issue surrounding these pukequels.

Here's the thing. When I found out that a new Dune series was being written by Brian Herbert, I was pretty pleased to hear it. I mean, I wanted (really WANTED) to see where Frank was going with the series post-Chapterhouse. Although I felt Chapterhouse could've ended the series, I didn't WANT it to end there. Know what I mean?

Then I found out that he and K-Jizz-Anderson were going to write prequels to Dune. WTF! Why? Was it necessary? Okay. Fine, I decided. I'll pick it up and read it anyway. So I trodded down to my local Barnes and Noble and picked up House Atreides when it came out. And although I didn't "like" what I saw, it held my interest. I mean, the writing was just "okay". And the story was equally "okay." Then came House Harkonnen. A little worse than Atreides but I could still swallow it. Then came the putridly bad House Corrino. I had a tough time reading that one. Then they decided to go back EVEN FURTHER and do the Butlerian Jihad.

WTF! Again!

So I dutifully trodded down to my bookstore and picked up the hefty tome. It took me weeks to get through it. So terribly written. So many problems with inconsistencies versus Frank's books. And from there, the series nosedived into a steaming pile. The Machine Crusade and The Battle of Corrin were just...horrible. Absolutely atrocious! Then, finally, we got to Dune 7 and 8 (I can't even bring myself to name their titles, they're so bad). Then this new Heroes shite.

WTF! Again!

Wading through these latest books, I felt like a sewer rat, forced to eat the scraps of the well-to-do (Frank's work).

But here's the thing. I think I could've handled the bad writing IF they kept their story straight with Frank's. Or, if not, then have good writing/prose that kept me engaged and made me not notice these inconsistencies. But no. We get both shitty writing/prose AND a desecration of Frank's work.

Okay, I'm done ranting. Sorry for the long comment but I needed to evacuate that out of my ...soul.
Image"One tended to believe power could overcome any barrier . . . including one's own ignorance."
Frybread

Re: It's The Combo That Gets Me

Post by Frybread »

I read all of the McDune books up to PoD. I refuse to read any more of the books, so I haven't read WoD.

I am another one of many who would have loved to have seen Brian Herbert finish the series with Dune 7. Unfortunately, he brought into the fold the Hack of Hacks, who is more worried about sales and book counts than quality of prose.

With how bad the McDune books have become, I would have remained happy if Brian Herbert had stuck to his guns and never allowed another Dune book to be published.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I couldnt get through the first Legends book, and only read Hunters and Sandworms because they were the long-awaited Dune 7 books.

Didn't read PoD or WoD. That's it, I'm done.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

oh yeah, I like This One.

rest easy, lad.
you're amongst friends here.

every word of your story can be repeated by most here.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
lotek

Post by lotek »

yep I know exactly how you feel and felt...
that excitement and thrill, all for nothing...
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Hunchback Jack wrote:I couldnt get through the first Legends book, and only read Hunters and Sandworms because they were the long-awaited Dune 7 books.

Didn't read PoD or WoD. That's it, I'm done.

HBJ
:lol:

Same thing here...i fell unconscious during Butlerian Jihad...
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It took me about a month of bedtime reading to get through The Butlerian Jihad. I'd read a chapter or three and then throw the damned thing across the room and turn out the light.

Awful, awful, awful SHIT. :twisted:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Perhaps the fault was ours for investing even a small part in anticipating these Nudune crap piles. I wish I'd never heard of them :/
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

inhuien wrote:Perhaps the fault was ours for investing even a small part in anticipating these Nudune crap piles. I wish I'd never heard of them :/
Trust me, if I knew then what I know now about how much of a hack piece of shit KJA is I wouldn't have anticipated HuoD or SoD. It makes me sick that my hard-earned money went to the HLP and the Hack when I bought all those shit books.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Frybread wrote:
inhuien wrote:Perhaps the fault was ours for investing even a small part in anticipating these Nudune crap piles. I wish I'd never heard of them :/
Trust me, if I knew then what I know now about how much of a hack piece of shit KJA is I wouldn't have anticipated HuoD or SoD. It makes me sick that my hard-earned money went to the HLP and the Hack when I bought all those shit books.
Nothing cures the soul of such past misjudgments better than discovering truly talented authors and supporting their worthwhile books with your money. Better than a hundred "Hail Mary's" :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I made it through Hunters of Dune. I thought, no way they are going to make Omnius and Erasmus out to be Marty and Daniel, that's just too stupid even for them. But they did. I asked for my money back at DN.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

Going out on a limb here, but, besides the obvious cliches, terrible writing, and insipid plotting, I thought that Legends was better than House. It had to deal with the original characters they created -- it just didn't seem as bad as watching them ruin Frank's characters. Afterward, I just ignored them in chronology; I don't care what KJA babbles about the corruptibility of history, someone somewhere is going to remember "evil
" sentient machines ruling planets, and being defeated by big gee-whiz space battles. Besides, I had fun with the books, in a C/D-flick on at 2 AM kind-of-way.

For Hunters and Sadworms (hehe) every turning of the page was accompanied by an expletive. The only books I ever threw across the room and thought about burning.

Did that "Sci-Fi Essential" sticker kill anyone else?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hey, just wait till Irulan on The Thunder Throne of Dune comes out with the Syfy one! :lol:
HoryThory

Post by HoryThory »

Well we all seem to be in agreement on the quality of the writing. That's for sure. What a shitbag.
Image"One tended to believe power could overcome any barrier . . . including one's own ignorance."
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

HoryThory wrote:Well we all seem to be in agreement on the quality of the writing. That's for sure. What a shitbag.
I like your avatar :lol:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Definitely! :lol:

The Sandworm has swallowed the wordworm but spit out the head.

Kinda like not eating a shrimp's shit line. :laughing:
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

SandChigger wrote:Definitely! :lol:

The Sandworm has swallowed the wordworm but spit out the head.

Kinda like not eating a shrimp's shit line. :laughing:
I've said this before and I'll say it again. You have such a way with words. It brings tears to my eyes. :tissue2:

Nice avatar, HoryThory! :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
HoryThory

Post by HoryThory »

You can all thank GamePlayer for my avatar. Did it in short order and to spec. What a guy!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

i will thank GP then. Thanks GP!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

LOL! :) Glad you like it.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:lol: Outstanding!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Tleszer wrote:I've said this before and I'll say it again. You have such a way with words. It brings tears to my eyes. :tissue2:
You GET me, you really, really GET me! :tissue2:
HoryThory

Post by HoryThory »

Do you two need a moment? :cat fight:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nah, it's passed. :P
Schu

Post by Schu »

Funniest thing I remember was someone saying "how can you criticise the new dune books, have you even, like, read them??".
I haven't read many, just the house series and the "sequels" and bits of the legends series, but it was still more than the guy that said that comment had read, so he had to admit that :P