Preek Arguments

Image
    Abandon all sanity ye who enter here

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

User avatar
Hunchback Jack
Posts: 1982
Joined: 30 May 2008 15:02
Location: California, USA

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby Hunchback Jack » 07 Aug 2009 16:16

Why restrain yourself? Sometimes a little passionate cursing goes a long way. And you *do* have a certain flair for it, SR.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks

User avatar
SandRider
Watermaster
Posts: 6163
Joined: 05 Oct 2008 16:14
Location: In the back of your mind. Always.
Contact:

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby SandRider » 07 Aug 2009 16:36

amazon won't LET you say a lot of stuff, not without obfuscation, which I loathe.

"A--Hat Pickle-F%%k_er" doesn't cut it for me.

And there is NO WAY I'm letting those assholes delete my account
and force me to buy another piece of bullshit from them just to
comment on their goddamn board.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008

User avatar
TheDukester
Posts: 3808
Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
Location: Operation Enduring Bacon
Contact:

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby TheDukester » 14 Aug 2009 13:02

Could we sticky this?

In all seriousness, it can be a great time-saver.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby Freakzilla » 14 Aug 2009 13:34

Done
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
TheDukester
Posts: 3808
Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
Location: Operation Enduring Bacon
Contact:

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby TheDukester » 14 Aug 2009 13:39

Boo-yah! :dance:

Thanks, FZ.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.

User avatar
Leto
Posts: 78
Joined: 29 Mar 2008 12:54
Location: Here and there
Contact:

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby Leto » 17 Aug 2009 08:16

11. "They own the copyright, so they can decide what is canon and what isn't!"

13.a. "Only a writer can criticize the work of other writers!" (AKA "The Ganymede Gambit")


For all of those statements : money. Who paid them? who paid the copyright ?
I paid for books which respect FH's spirit. They do not. I give them money to give me some pleasure. They do not. I paid for a book, not for a scrap. I paid a writer (or two -- are you sure?! :evil: ). So, if my "investment" does not satisfy me, I'm supposed to fire the CEO out. I lost money 'cause to them. So, I HAVE TO criticize them!!
And the worst : I give them money. And what did I receive ? Insults (talifans aso), scrap (their books) and they only allow me to shut up!! :naughty:

12. "Frank's books contained inconsistencies, TOO!"

Frank wrote Dune for about 20 years. And he does not know when he wrote dune what will happen in C:D. So, there are some inconsistencies, OK.
But P&tB know where they are going (Hunters & Sandworms are not taking into account) : Legends and Houses have a common and official horizon : the Chronicles. Even having the end, they are able to make mistakes.
It's true they even contradict themselves, so....

14. "The new books are easier to understand, so they're better as an introduction into the Duniverse."

I do not want entertainment. I've comics to do so. I want (strong) ideas, I want thinking aso... That's what FH did, that's what I'm looking for.
If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets
Gurney Halleck
Image
Image
KJA ? Keep Just Away?
Filo

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby Freakzilla » 17 Aug 2009 08:47

Leto wrote:14. "The new books are easier to understand, so they're better as an introduction into the Duniverse."


Do they realy use that?

I was 13 when I read Dune, what's their excuse? If you want something easy to understand try something like Green Eggs and Ham.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
lotek
Posts: 5735
Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby lotek » 17 Aug 2009 09:01

Freakzilla wrote:
Leto wrote:14. "The new books are easier to understand, so they're better as an introduction into the Duniverse."


Do they realy use that?

I was 13 when I read Dune, what's their excuse? If you want something easy to understand try something like Green Eggs and Ham.


it's not something easy to understand they want, it's something they can understand and which doesn't force them to accept the fact that they have the intellectual capacity of a turnip :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.

User avatar
SandRider
Watermaster
Posts: 6163
Joined: 05 Oct 2008 16:14
Location: In the back of your mind. Always.
Contact:

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby SandRider » 17 Aug 2009 15:04

Leto wrote: .... and they only allow me to shut up!!


hey, that's a beautiful turn of phrase !
(serious, too, not making fun @all, I like that alot & will use it again)
(right up there with " ... and don't afraid of anything")

Freakzilla wrote:
Leto wrote:14. "The new books are easier to understand, so they're better as an introduction into the Duniverse."


Do they really use that?


yes.
I've heard it straight from Merritt on the DN BBS.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008

User avatar
GamePlayer
70mm God
Posts: 2993
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 11:26
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby GamePlayer » 17 Aug 2009 15:37

SandRider wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Leto wrote:14. "The new books are easier to understand, so they're better as an introduction into the Duniverse."


Do they really use that?


yes.
I've heard it straight from Merritt on the DN BBS.


Dear gawd :shock:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby Freakzilla » 17 Aug 2009 15:40

If that's not a slap in FH's face, I don't know what is.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener
Posts: 3289
Joined: 10 Feb 2008 16:27

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby Nekhrun » 17 Aug 2009 16:42

Freakzilla wrote:If that's not a slap in FH's face, I don't know what is.

This:

Image
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby Freakzilla » 17 Aug 2009 19:49

I wonder if it tasted like sawdust?
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
SandRider
Watermaster
Posts: 6163
Joined: 05 Oct 2008 16:14
Location: In the back of your mind. Always.
Contact:

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby SandRider » 18 Aug 2009 00:18

tasted like an ass-sandwich.




full of fail & AIDS.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008

User avatar
Ampoliros
Posts: 2518
Joined: 14 Mar 2008 11:22
Location: I think we took a wrong turn...

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby Ampoliros » 18 Aug 2009 03:18

If it looks like a failcake and smells like a failcake....

Its #15 on the NYT Bestseller list!
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus

rain_maker
Posts: 44
Joined: 30 Mar 2009 00:55
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Contact:

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby rain_maker » 20 Aug 2009 00:06

I think we need to add one, considering B. Conway's latest:

15. I don't have time right now to locate the references you're using (that prove I'm an idiot with the reading comprehension of a 6 year old), but I'll get back to you when I have the time (i.e., never).
I had no idea that there were this many Frank Herbert fans left alive, what with the head exploding horror that is the KJA/BH atrocity.

Lundse
Posts: 524
Joined: 01 Jul 2008 11:36
Location: Århus, Denmark

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby Lundse » 20 Aug 2009 04:04

rain_maker wrote:I think we need to add one, considering B. Conway's latest:

15. I don't have time right now to locate the references you're using (that prove I'm an idiot with the reading comprehension of a 6 year old), but I'll get back to you when I have the time (i.e., never).


Needs an example or something - this might be a good argument in some cases. When it is used to defend oneself against admitting that "P" means P, it is not.

15. I will not concede that fact P is the case in the Dune universe, just because you have shown me a quote saying "P". I will stall perpetually while claiming I have to look it up or check the context and hope this embarrasing fact, which directly contradicts what KJA has told me, will never be brought up again.

(I have tutored argumentation theory, and I don't think I have seen that fallacy mentioned anywhere. Not even sure it qualifies as a fallacy...)

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby SandChigger » 20 Aug 2009 05:03

The list is already up to #18. This new one, if adopted, would be #19.

Should be in the form of a direct quotation to conform to the others. :)

Edit: It's not really a fallacy at all. More of a method of derailing an argument. Obstructionist sabotage?

rain_maker
Posts: 44
Joined: 30 Mar 2009 00:55
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Contact:

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby rain_maker » 20 Aug 2009 12:44

My bad, this should be #19 (if adopted).

I submit that it is an "argument" in that it is a tactic employed to obfuscate a very clear point made by an OH. I use this sort of tactic all the time, in Court, to draw the Court's attention away from a good point made by opposing counsel and to refocus on something that is beneficial to my argument. Although I don't simply state that "I don't have time" and then proceed to argue ad nauseum in another forum, but the re-direction tactic is similar.

Essentially, it is a way for a pre-tard to avoid admitting the point and drawing the argument away from an issue on which they are clearly wrong. I think it's worth inclusion because at this point the pre-tards have no way whatsoever of avoiding the incredible number of contradictions and ret-cons in McDune and will be simply unable to make "arguments" in the proper application of the word.
I had no idea that there were this many Frank Herbert fans left alive, what with the head exploding horror that is the KJA/BH atrocity.

User avatar
Apjak
Posts: 518
Joined: 30 Jun 2008 12:06
Location: Kansas City

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby Apjak » 20 Aug 2009 13:11

Maybe it's time the list went through mitosis and became:

Preeq Arguments (or stances)

and

Preeq Tactics

the later being things like this questionable #19 "I won't bother to do my homework."
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert

User avatar
SandRider
Watermaster
Posts: 6163
Joined: 05 Oct 2008 16:14
Location: In the back of your mind. Always.
Contact:

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby SandRider » 20 Aug 2009 14:21

I knew new guy was a mouthpiece from his user name ....

they startin' to congregate 'round here ...

somebody get the rope ready, jus' in case ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008

rain_maker
Posts: 44
Joined: 30 Mar 2009 00:55
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Contact:

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby rain_maker » 21 Aug 2009 11:02

SandRider wrote:I knew new guy was a mouthpiece from his user name ....

they startin' to congregate 'round here ...

somebody get the rope ready, jus' in case ...


Rope's useless.

Sunlight or silver ...
I had no idea that there were this many Frank Herbert fans left alive, what with the head exploding horror that is the KJA/BH atrocity.

User avatar
TheDukester
Posts: 3808
Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
Location: Operation Enduring Bacon
Contact:

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby TheDukester » 21 Aug 2009 11:11

Apjak wrote:Maybe it's time the list went through mitosis and became:

Preeq Arguments (or stances)

and

Preeq Tactics

the later being things like this questionable #19 "I won't bother to do my homework."

Agreed. Let's not confuse a simple issue.

The purpose of this thread — and making it sticky — is to have all of the classic, specific preek arguments in one place. Adding their general tactics just muddies the water.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.

User avatar
Apjak
Posts: 518
Joined: 30 Jun 2008 12:06
Location: Kansas City

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby Apjak » 21 Aug 2009 14:02

TheDukester wrote:
Apjak wrote:Maybe it's time the list went through mitosis and became:

Preeq Arguments (or stances)

and

Preeq Tactics

the later being things like this questionable #19 "I won't bother to do my homework."

Agreed. Let's not confuse a simple issue.

The purpose of this thread — and making it sticky — is to have all of the classic, specific preek arguments in one place. Adding their general tactics just muddies the water.


Well, I think they should be near each other because, illogically, stances and tactics get used interchangeably. Whenever people (myself and OH included) get passionate we just let reason go out the window. Why do you think legislatures needed rules of order. If we label the tactics as Tactics, we can respond to each in kind with "Stay on Target" instead of letting ourselves get baited onto distracting tangents.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1988
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Re: Preek Arguments

Postby DuneFishUK » 21 Aug 2009 16:38

Apjak wrote:
TheDukester wrote:
Apjak wrote:Maybe it's time the list went through mitosis and became:

Preeq Arguments (or stances)

and

Preeq Tactics

the later being things like this questionable #19 "I won't bother to do my homework."

Agreed. Let's not confuse a simple issue.

The purpose of this thread — and making it sticky — is to have all of the classic, specific preek arguments in one place. Adding their general tactics just muddies the water.


Well, I think they should be near each other because, illogically, stances and tactics get used interchangeably. Whenever people (myself and OH included) get passionate we just let reason go out the window. Why do you think legislatures needed rules of order. If we label the tactics as Tactics, we can respond to each in kind with "Stay on Target" instead of letting ourselves get baited onto distracting tangents.

The only tactic I've seen repeatedly is blatant evasion - which is pretty boring and not really list-worthy.

All the arguments they rely on when they work out what they're trying to say are listed here.


Return to “˲”