Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Samarkan

Re: dismissing the legacy: a poor lit. trick indeed

Post by Samarkan »

I <3 this thread :lol:
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

lotek wrote:I know I'm on the slow train here but I just realized that to integrate(too soft a word) his heresies into FH's world, JAKy boy has tried to make all of the real Dune pass for delusions and lies of Irulan...
Can anyone explain this without me having to read(and buy any more of that crap)?

I went through enough going up to Sandworms Of Dune and I don't remember any mention of that, which is not only a poor writing trick(but could have been accepted if it meant coming up with something really mind blowing_insert any pun based on wind), but it feels more like JaKs knows he's sooo far away from his league he can only destroy everything FH built in order to exist!
Anyway if you read this BH and JAK,this is for you, in the words of Duncan:

"You are a servant! You've sold Fremen for their water!"

nb: the amazon forums are amazing
If the HLP ever grows a heart and wants to save Frank's legacy, maybe it can hire an author in a fews years who can clean up the mess that TheKJA has made of Dune. I've heard the Star Wars franchise had to do so after Keith's Jedi Academy series.

Maybe the damage-control author could include in the book that the McDune books were all in-universe texts.
lotek

Post by lotek »

well if that ever happens I hope it's within my lifetime...
and concerning the Mc dunes their damage was severe but they'll be easily forgotten since they're crap on a stick(did i just make that expression up or does it already exist?)
No need to give them more credit than they deserve, they don't and will never belong to Dune
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

lotek wrote:well if that ever happens I hope it's within my lifetime...
and concerning the Mc dunes their damage was severe but they'll be easily forgotten since they're crap on a stick(did i just make that expression up or does it already exist?)
No need to give them more credit than they deserve, they don't and will never belong to Dune
True. Maybe the HLP could hire an author to write a true sequel to Ch:D in which the author just flat out ignores the McDune books. He or she could create an ending that completely invalidates what TheKJA has done.
lotek

Post by lotek »

yep at least KJA and bobo would come in useful with their experience in ignoring the background of the story you're picking up :)
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I think that's the only way it could be done. Just flat out pretend the McDune books didn't happen. None of them.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

good thing I didn't read any of them then, huh ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Actually Dizzy uses this in Gears of War 2, whenever you perform a bad reload. :)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Hunchback Jack wrote:I think that's the only way it could be done. Just flat out pretend the McDune books didn't happen. None of them.

HBJ

I hope KJA lives to see his works forgotten. I don't want to see anyone financially ruined even if they brought it on themselves but I love the image of KJA in his 80's still going to cons trying to peddle signed first editions of his books that he's had in his basement for 40 years.

Poor Becca, she hardly deserves to be a target. And yet...
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
lotek

Post by lotek »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Actually Dizzy uses this in Gears of War 2, whenever you perform a bad reload. :)
ha ha nice!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Amp wrote:Poor Becca, she hardly deserves to be a target. And yet...
bullshit.

she's had as much (or more) to do with the actual writing, production & promotion
of this crap as Brian ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

She's KJA's first (and possibly only?) proofreader. She hasn't stopped or hindered him in a decade.

GUILTY!!! :evil:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

Yeah, Becca talks all the time about being his proofreader. Which, is curious -- why would you marry your proofreader?
Long Live the Fighters.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Because your dentist was already taken?

+++++

I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb by guessing that one of Becky's roles is to be Keith's first fan and a continual rah-rah supporter of everything he hikes out. Whether that's a strong enough foundation for a marriage is open to debate.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

I wish my partner would be supportive of my writing, but he isn't.

I don't have rah-rah's. I want some rah-rah's. :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:
Long Live the Fighters.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

She wasn't his proofreader initially, of course. :roll:

They were co-workers at Livermore (I assume she was a technical writer there as well) and he joined her reading group. The rest is history. (She never tells herstory, har har!)

Women have married men for less. I guess she decided less was more. (Less hair, less talent, ... less sex?)
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

With the 'steamy' twitter quotes I saw on here, I'm not so sure about that last part.
Long Live the Fighters.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I would never date a girl as interested in literature as me. I once had a short relationship with a girl that defined herself through music in much the same way that writing is my life, and in the end she was the most conceited person I've ever met. I can't imagine what someone passionate about the same field as me would be like... Even if she was just mildly interested in reading/writing I wouldn't let her near my work. Inspiration, yes. Anything else is just mutual ego-stroking.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I guess mutual stroking can pass for sex in some quarters. ;)
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:I guess mutual stroking can pass for sex in some quarters. ;)
It's called brainstorming in some quarters ;)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:Because your dentist was already taken?

+++++

I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb by guessing that one of Becky's roles is to be Keith's first fan and a continual rah-rah supporter of everything he hikes out. Whether that's a strong enough foundation for a marriage is open to debate.

It's no wonder he actually thinks he's a great writer.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

you all bring up good points about the collaboration of Becca.

I don't like tearing them apart, but I do it because he's put himself in the smug position to destroy something I care about and force it upon the public. He very much needs to be put before the Gom Jabbar to see if he can be saved from himself.

And the Gom Jabbar crafted for KJA? He has to read each and every negative critical review for anything he has written.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:
TheDukester wrote:Because your dentist was already taken?

+++++

It's no wonder he actually thinks he's a great writer.
probably thinks he's a good shag too :lol:
Samarkan

Post by Samarkan »

Freakzilla wrote:Well, after FH's books we go into Dune bizzaro world where Leto was just crazy and the Golden Path was wrong.

How's that?
I don't care what Kebbin and Boron would have to say about what is Dune canon and what isn't. We all know that what Frank Herbert wrote is canon -- he's the original author. Since Frank Herbert is dead and he never publicly stated that he wanted either of those two morons to continue his work, then their fanfic drivel has no legitimacy. And they can tout their alleged FH notes all they want, until they produce the evidence, those disks are imaginary.