On your next Amazon visit ...

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Ampoliros

Re: On your next Amazon visit ...

Post by Ampoliros »

Hunchback Jack wrote:
SandChigger wrote: ... asked if he missed the bits about Shaddam's ghola army ...
Please tell me you're joking. You mean KJA lifted a major plot point from the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy?

HBJ
major plot point? try the whole fucking series.

Separatists in Paul of Dune, Amidala assassination redux, Giant Ion Cannon Planetary Defense Guns (Empire Strikes Back), Ghola-clone army Bene Jedsserit using mind tricks, all in winds. Heck, Lucas has pretty good grounds to sue for copyright infringement.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Thanks for fielding that one, Amp! :D
Hunchback Jack wrote:
SandChigger wrote: ... asked if he missed the bits about Shaddam's ghola army ...
Please tell me you're joking.
And STILL you doubt me?!
:tissue2:

:D
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Well, I thought you might not have meant a *literal* ghola army.

After all, you do sometimes tweak your descriptions for comical effect. ;)

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:D
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:Hey, what happened in the comment thread on Prester Dilly's review?!
It's back, Chiggie. Mr. Dilly-o thinks he's pretty clever, but ... not. Typical KJASF fail.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

What a stupid, cowardly motherfucker. Wow ... what admirable spineless slugs KJA has for fans! :D

Edit: Comments reposted:
Last edited by you 23 minutes ago
Ronald Craig says:
Unbelievable. I have to admit, I didn't see this one coming. Delete the review so that the old comments disappear!

Congrats, Prester, you certainly pulled a Dilly! :D

Oh, you edited the disclaimer just for me?! Thanks!

"Ronald Craig, (Sandchigger), has had an unhealthy, deep hatred for the authors of these books. Therefore, his bile should be taken at face value." (Btw, you don't need the two commas if you use parentheses.)

Yes, that is perhaps true. I do hate what the author (are there really two?) is doing to the Dune universe created by Frank Herbert. But the depth of my "unhealthy" (Oh, you're a psychologist now?) "hatred" is nothing compared to my utter contempt for people who lack the courage or ability to stand behind and defend their convictions and who stoop to weaselly tricks and accusations because of that lack. For COWARDS, in other words.

(Rest assured I will be keeping a copy of this comment and will repost it as often as you care to delete your review. And I'll be recreating my earlier comment as well. :D )

Your post: Aug 5, 2009 10:45 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
OK ... let's see, how did it go....

"All in all, the story constructs a very nice bridge into 'Children of Dune'."

No, it doesn't. This book covers only two or three months of the nine-year period between Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. It is obvious from the set-up in this book (Shaddam's ghola army, for instance. Did you not catch that?) that the following volume, The Throne of Dune, will be set within the same pre-Children period. (Otherwise Shaddam, who is dead by the time of Children, won't have much opportunity to play with his army!) Therefore your statement that this book represents a "fine bridge" is absolute nonsense. You *did* really read it, right?

I can point out other problems with your review, or would you like to address the above first? (Or will you delete your review a second time to delete these comments? :D )

In your "reviewers [sic] note", you state

"While being a member of many fan sites hosted by the authors, the writer of this review has NEVER been offered payment or rewards/prizes by any of the authors."

But you are a member of the kjasf.com "KJA Special Forces" website, are you not? On the registration page of that site (http://www.kjasf.com/registration.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), anyone can clearly read

"Some rewards of membership include:

Charter Membership in the KJA Special Forces
Members-only bulletin board with direct access to Kevin J.Anderson, who will be participating and answering your questions.
A chance to win Advance Reading Copies of books not yet available in bookstores
Reading draft chapters and sneak previews of works in progress
Reading hard-to-find short stories from the KJA writing vault
Prizes and drawings
Special Invitations, Offers, and Discounts at http://www.anderzoneshop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exclusive Special Forces gear
Special gifts for assisting at signings or conventions"

Did you *not* read that when you registered? Does that *not* constitute an offer of "rewards/prizes"? If not, in *what way* does it not?

I'm sorry, but after you pull a trick like deleting your review to remove unfavorable comments, and make false statements like this (not to mention the potentially libelous claim on your profile page that I am "cyberstalking" you), your credibility is rather lacking. Why should anyone accept your evaluation of this book, either?
Last edited by SandChigger on 06 Aug 2009 00:51, edited 1 time in total.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

What's the deal? Did he delete his review and reentered it to remove all the comments?

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yep.

That smells like a WIN to me over a TOTAL PUSSY PRESTER DILL PRICKLE. :D

Edit: And it looks like the system is rejecting my unhelpful votes on his review. It did the same thing for my votes on his Terrah Incontinent "review". :roll:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

That is so slimey.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:Yep.

That smells like a WIN to me over a TOTAL PUSSY PRESTER DILL PRICKLE. :D

Edit: And it looks like the system is rejecting my unhelpful votes on his review. It did the same thing for my votes on his Terrah Incontinent "review". :roll:
Did you check out the reference to you in the In My Own Words section on his page? These guys are so delusional. Do they even know what cyber-stalking means?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

It's like a requirement that all of McKevin's fans be complete hypocrites. And unable to back up their alleged convictions.

I really thought I couldn't have less respect for the lot of them. I was wrong.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh, yeah, I've been aware of the accusation of cyberstalking on Pusster Dilly's page for a long time now. And no, he doesn't have a clue as to what the term means. Other than what Kevin or 'Becca have told him. (I saw where he popped in for a two-line "bile and hate" poo-poo in the comments on his "review". Isn't it funny that he has to have Conway pop in to defend it? ;) )

Hypocrites ... yeah. And cowards. But then look who their idol is. :roll:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

What I don't understand is the loyalty they have to the guy and to each other. Whats he ever done for them? Why are they so interested to preserve his source of revenue? Why do they CARE?

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

Done! Thank you for alerting us of this Top 10 reviewer!

TheDukester wrote:... please consider bumping up this review with a +1 vote:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RS1Q3O1EFN ... r_rdp_perm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a fairly important review (as such things go), as it is from a Top 10 reviewer. It is likely to have some traction with people who are into that sort of thing, those who are aware of the OH-Preektard debate and want a neutral viewpoint instead, and those who are on the fence and are looking to read two or three reviews before deciding whether or not to purchase. The longer that review stays out front, above the fold, with it's big "Top 10" staring everyone in the face, then the better it will be for alerting potential victims to what a steaming pile of crap we're helping them to avoid.

(For those that remember, this would be similar to Joanna Daneman's review of Pauline last year. She was a ranked reviewer who stuck by her words and her review was at the upper-left of the page basically the whole time. For all I know, it's still there).
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hunchback Jack wrote:What I don't understand is the loyalty they have to the guy and to each other. Whats he ever done for them? Why are they so interested to preserve his source of revenue? Why do they CARE?
He writes simple books they can ENJOY. They can imagine themselves to be READERS because of him. Any attack on his books, books they enjoyed and thought good, if not GREAT, is an attack on their own taste and judgment. It's personal.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Hunchback Jack wrote: Whats he ever done for them?
The only thing I can think of that makes sense is that KJA provides them with a comfort zone. He writes non-challenging, plot-heavy, A-to-B books that are unburdened by bothersome things such as character development, meaningful dialogue, or tension. And every book is the same Star Wars novel, just with different names.

Apparently, it's very comfortable to know, before you even read the first page, exactly what you'll be getting.
Sev

Post by Sev »

This review has, unbelievably, started to rack up a few unhelpful votes recently - Paranoid perhaps, but I wonder if the KJASF could be reduced to this underhanded tactic...
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I don't doubt it at all. In fact, I think it's a conspiracy begun by Brian Conway!

Actually, I don't doubt that such a thing could be possible, but it's also true that these things tend to ebb and flow. Every mainstream book I've hawk-eyed over the past years — whether because I was a big fan, a big non-fan, or just curious — has had surges of yes votes and/or no votes. Why, I don't know.

Still, I'd be disappointed if it turns out that the KevTards really felt the need to vote it down. There's just no way that is not a helpful review.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I think it's KJASF folks. People usually (but not always) vote down reviews they disagree with, even if they are even-handed. Who would have the incentive to vote down the one negative-yet-reasonable-sounding review for the book?

Even if someone liked the previous books in the series, and visited the page to see others' comments about it, wouldn't vote down a negative review. It's someone with a purpose, an axe to grind.

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

+1'd, now at: 33 of 42.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Score another point for my grand "conspiracy" ... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I really wish I hadn't even wasted any time responding to that bullshit last week.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

TheDukester wrote:
Hunchback Jack wrote: Whats he ever done for them?
The only thing I can think of that makes sense is that KJA provides them with a comfort zone. He writes non-challenging, plot-heavy, A-to-B books that are unburdened by bothersome things such as character development, meaningful dialogue, or tension. And every book is the same Star Wars novel, just with different names.

Apparently, it's very comfortable to know, before you even read the first page, exactly what you'll be getting.
To be fair, this is the same expectation most of the population has with respect to their entertainment. Film, music, literature; most of the time they all want it safe, inoffensive, facile and homogenized. There are large portions of the population that seek challenging and new art and entertainment, but they are always outnumbered by the people who don't want to put any thought into their entertainment. For the most part, people are only too happy to pay money for dull, uninspiring product because they want assurance of something they will like rather than chance something they might not. Naturally, most people will then hypocritically bitch and moan about the fact there is nothing good to watch/listen/read :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

GamePlayer wrote: To be fair, this is the same expectation most of the population has with respect to their entertainment. Film, music, literature; most of the time they all want it safe, inoffensive, facile and homogenized. There are large portions of the population that seek challenging and new art and entertainment, but they are always outnumbered by the people who don't want to put any thought into their entertainment. For the most part, people are only too happy to pay money for dull, uninspiring product because they want assurance of something they will like rather than chance something they might not. Naturally, most people will then hypocritically bitch and moan about the fact there is nothing good to watch/listen/read :)
That's very true. I myself prefer a story where the good guy doesn't always win. I like movies/books with tragic endings that don't give you exactly what you expect. Knowing how a novel will end when you pick it up defeats the purpose and makes it nothing more than a waste of time and trees.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I prefer a mix of uplifting and tragic tales. A balance, one might say. When it comes to art and entertainment, there's nothing necessarily wrong with enjoying comfort food, but there is something VERY wrong with an exclusive diet of comfort food at the expense of anything else. The tragic can be utterly beautiful and can evoke reactions every bit as worthwhile as an optimistic tale.

Of course, most people are so preposterously one-side in their consumption of pop culture that if you're a person that prefers to fill their plate with a melange of both happy and sad stories, you're often misunderstood as some sort of sadist or nihilist. Such is life :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't believe in nihilists. :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman