An old thread I stumbled across ...

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Hunchback Jack

An old thread I stumbled across ...

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Just for fun, I googled "kja hack dune" and found the following discussion on another site:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... id=3166235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Sorry if you get ads.)

What struck me about this discussion was that:
1) the NoDune books were panned almost universally
2) No one from here (that I can see) participated

So much for the anti-KJA sentiment being just "one guy". Or even "one guy"'s sock puppets. :)

HBJ
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: An old thread I stumbled across ...

Post by SandChigger »

Nice find! :lol:

It's great to see other (obviously intelligent) people agreeing with us almost point for point.

(How come "an old thread"? The timestamps are all from this month, no, and the last yesterday or today? :? )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Baraka Bryan wrote:great find... someone with time to kill get on there and recruit a few of them to here!
:idea: Good idea!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I didn't read through all of it, but I'm amazed at how many people aren't fond of Heretics and Chapterhouse; or in some cases even God Emperor. :shock:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Something Awful can be pretty funny. The site will always have my respect for writing that Brian Herbert bring involved with Dune is the second-worst thing to happen in the history of science fiction:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/most-aw ... php?page=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:clap: :lol: :dance: :clap:

That's pretty good stuff.

Oh, wait: I'm sure everyone there is just part of a group of "haters," too, right, Keith? Just another "small" group of "disgruntled fans"? There sure seem to be awful lot of those, Kevvie ...

:music-tool:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Oh, the internet is filled with harsh criticism for KJA and BH. Nearly every community I've ever visited has had nothing good to say about them, whether the forum was sci-f, gaming, satire, or otherwise. The old theforce.net, starcraft.com, somethingawful, spacebattles, relic, sdnet, UT, counterstrike, cka, mw, etc. I've said it before and I'll say it again, KJA tries so hard to marginalize his critics, but it's quite clear his reputation for utter shit precedes him wherever one may visit online.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I've been doing some random Googling lately ... stuff like " 'Kevin J. Anderson' hack sucks terrible" ... just for some laughs. As far as the results go, I've seen a lot of them before, but I usually get at least one rant that's new to me. It never fails to make me smile.

I was considering opening a thread here where we posted links to anti-KJA manifestos from non-Dune sites. Maybe we could package a whole bunch of them and forward them to Merritt or something. :dance:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandChigger wrote:(How come "an old thread"? The timestamps are all from this month, no, and the last yesterday or today? :? )
:oops: :oops: :oops:

I was looking at the member join dates, not the post dates.

HBJ
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:I've been doing some random Googling lately ... stuff like " 'Kevin J. Anderson' hack sucks terrible" ... just for some laughs. As far as the results go, I've seen a lot of them before, but I usually get at least one rant that's new to me. It never fails to make me smile.

I was considering opening a thread here where we posted links to anti-KJA manifestos from non-Dune sites. Maybe we could package a whole bunch of them and forward them to Merritt or something. :dance:
That's a great idea, but send it to TOR. :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
sparafucile

Post by sparafucile »

SA 'goon' checking in :twisted:

I saw that thread and thought about posting in it, but I realized there wasn't really anything I could say that hadn't already been said: stick with the original 4, or original 6 at most, and don't venture beyond if you give a damn about the originals.

Course, I could always put a plug in for jacurutu :D but there doesn't seem to be much Dune interest on SA, seeing as the thread only has 2 pages in the span of 2-3 weeks.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hunchback Jack wrote:I was looking at the member join dates, not the post dates.
Don't feel bad, I did the same thing, only noticed near the end. ;)
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

sparafucile wrote:Course, I could always put a plug in for jacurutu :D but there doesn't seem to be much Dune interest on SA, seeing as the thread only has 2 pages in the span of 2-3 weeks.
It's more than DN has.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

:lol:

Too true, Nekhrun.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

ZING!
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

SadisticCynic wrote:I didn't read through all of it, but I'm amazed at how many people aren't fond of Heretics and Chapterhouse; or in some cases even God Emperor. :shock:
I'm one of those who find Heretics & Chapterhouse to be an
unnecessary addition to the original story Frank set out to
tell. (and old argument here; I won't say he did it "for the
money", I'll take Spinrad's angle that the money offered for
the last two books was too great for a sane man to refuse)

While I love God-emperor, it's also semi-unnecessary; I see
it as Frank's opportunity to organize all the philosophical ideas
bouncing around in his head into one place. It's more an opus
of opinion than a furthering of the DUNE storyline.

(my fav is Messiah, BTW)(and I would have been happy with the
story ending there)(with the original ending Frank first wrote)(or
I'd of been happy with DUNE being one, stand-alone novel, and
Frank going on to something else entirely)(& then we all wouldn't
be here, and Chig would have to find another target for his fanatical
rage & hatred ....)
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It's like VD ... the gift that keeps on giving. :D

So, you back home from the windfarms for a while, or sneaking a login from a hotel/motel?
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

The first time I read them, everything after Messiah took getting used too. I actually came to love how much Frank explained from a historical point of view. (I WAS working on my BA in History atm, which i'm certain was a major influence) I'd start each book with a WTF is this attitude, remember how much I loved the earlier books and press on. Once I finished them I realized Children was probably my least favorite. I loved Chapterhouse, which explains about 50% of my hatred towards the new books' audacity.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandRider wrote:I'm one of those who find Heretics & Chapterhouse to be an
unnecessary addition to the original story Frank set out to
tell. (and old argument here; I won't say he did it "for the
money", I'll take Spinrad's angle that the money offered for
the last two books was too great for a sane man to refuse)

While I love God-emperor, it's also semi-unnecessary; I see
it as Frank's opportunity to organize all the philosophical ideas
bouncing around in his head into one place. It's more an opus
of opinion than a furthering of the DUNE storyline.
I thought GEoD was a great way to end the series. Everything's more or less tied up: the Golden Path is established, the Scattering has happened, humanity is feed from their self-imposed limitations. And sandworms have returned to Dune (or will do). I think something would have been missing if Frank had stopped at Children of Dune.

The later books are great, but they're really beginning a new story arc quite separate from the first four. I can understand why people don't like them.

HBJ
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The universe, as depicted in the KJA&BH books, is just Siona's vision of the horrors that would be had not Leto II made his transformation and set humanity on the Golden Path.

:wink:
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I thought the last two were unnecessary, but welcome. I didn't like them as much as the earlier ones, but I did enjoy them.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Yeah, I'm one of those who thinks the series could (should?) have ended with GEoD. Although without Heretics and Chapterhouse there wouldn't have been a Miles Teg or Odrade. I basically read the last two books for the characters more than the storyline.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I see them as a study on the BG and a glimps at the universe of suprises promised by Leto.
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Freakzilla wrote:I see them as a study on the BG and a glimps at the universe of suprises promised by Leto.
Likewise. I enjoyed the insights into the BG.

HBJ
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I second that likewise. The insight into the Bene Gesserit is possibly the most interesting part of the books.
I can se where you all are coming from though, although I never thought of them as "unnecessary" myself. When I first discovered Dune and had gotten that far, I was just glad to have more Dune to read. :)
It was a bit of a difficult start with them as some have mentioned; in that they are far removed from the previous books.

I heartily concur with Ampoliros though, all of the books from Messiah onwards take more than one read to "get" them.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

I will jump on the bandwagon in that I thought the Dune chronicles could have ended with GEoD. The last two books were interesting, but the Golden Path was already on track by that point.