Analysis of Kevin

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

TheDukester

Re: Analysis of Kevin

Post by TheDukester »

Ampoliros wrote:KJA took the idea and had IG-88 download his mind into the Death Star II and take over its computer core. I've only heard the horror stories about it, I've not read the actual story.
Wait, that was Kevvie, too?

I've heard about it, and I don't truck with that anthology nonsense; I've never read any of it.

My God, there is simply no limit to the sheer stupidity of his "wouldn't it be cool?" writing style. He's like a rotund, pasty 12-year-old.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Ampoliros wrote:
Tleszer wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:True dat. I believe it was in the Tales of the Bounty Hunters that KJA wrote his famous "IG-88 is the Death Star II" story. So it obviously wasn't passed through Quality Assurance.
Wait, what? I thought IG-88 was one of the bounty hunters commissioned by Vader during The Empire Strikes Back.
Yes, But according to SW lore, IG-88 had downloaded his consciousness into multiple bodies out of self preservation and an attempt to increase his firepower. KJA took the idea and had IG-88 download his mind into the Death Star II and take over its computer core. I've only heard the horror stories about it, I've not read the actual story.
So that's where he took his idea of Omnius? :roll:
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Nebiros wrote:Let’s discuss the Great Kevin today. Let’s be somewhat serious about this.

Why or how is he the way he is? Is he happy? And what he gives to us.

We all know he “writes” terrible science fiction novels by dictating them in a recorder while going up mountains. Often his lack of creativity makes him write his own stories within the universes created by OTHER people.

Let’s discuss his motives and his mental state of health. We can all conclude that making up stories and hiking is his passion despite his lack of creativity. Is he aware or oblivious to his lack of creativitiy? This is very legitimate question to ask.

Let us look at the scenario where he is in fact aware that his writing is poor to say the least. He counters complaints from his critics by pointing out that millions of people do in fact buy his books. His ego is easily hurt, and wants to feel superior over people he sees as his enemies. Perhaps the attacks against him actually motivates him to keep writing because he does not want a few “talifan” to bring him down.

Now let us look at the more realistic scenario that he is completely oblivious. We know that he loves to do what he does and, going back to his ego, he strives to be one of “The Greats”. Unfortunately he is constantly encouraged by being nominated for writing awards and the millions of fanboys who consume every poorly thought out sentence he makes. I do not know how much love he is given by his family growing up or by his wife. But he seems to also do what he does because he wants to be loved by millions of fanboys. He does not notice any of the critics because his mind filters out the undesireables so he sees only what he wants to see.

He impresses his fanboys by writing three to six books every year hoping this will win them over. A speed that few authors go because they want their writing to be carefully thought out and creative so they will be remembered long after they are gone. Which brings me to my next point: when he passes away, while millions of people will have read his books, future generations will not remember his writings let alone himself. So he is only famous for a few million people of the present. But the number of future readers would be ten times more if he wrote something worthwhile as Frank Herbert and many other greats have proven. (Here is where I will need a little help. Could somebody tell me why he completely oblivious to this fact?)

His buddy Brian on the other hand is a different story. He should know better than to work with Kevin and should have learned long ago what good writing is gowing up with Frank Herbert as a father. My brief analysis of Brian is that he is a weak willed and passive person who let’s somebody like Kevin become his supperior for no particular reason. Perhaps he has not learned to face confrontations in life like school bullies. But another theory is he simply hated his father and angry that he did not inherit his father's genius and is only writing for the money and to urinate on his father’s grave.

Whatever it is that Kevin thinks or what fans of Frank Herbert think of him, nobody can deny that he makes money though what he does. He can definitely do more than put food on the table. If a SHRINK did an analysis of Kevin’s mental state of health, he/she would point out his arrogance, greed and an obession to being loved by many people. But the shrink would then advise Kevin to continue his lifestyle. Despite the negativity of the mental analysis, it has in fact brought him health and happiness and it is not living dangerously.

Or if we choose to ignore everything that I discussesd on this post, Kevin is just doing it for the money. And he does it with overwhelming success thanks to the ignorant masses. This is also possible since they have already back stabbed devoted fans twice with their short stories. And to be honest, not all of Kevin’s writings are terrible. Hiking worked for a while to impress people such as myself. But eventually he ran out of whatever little creativity he had (Hunters of Dune was where it ran out). This is proven by the declining sales of his books. But of couse this will not discourage him from milking every penny from persistent fanboys. But I must come to Kevin's defense here as I still sand by the fact that he is legally allowed to do what he does and fans are in no position to question him.

Now despite all our rabid hatred for Kevin, I can say that he is a source of amusement. There would be a LOT less comedy in all things Dune. I think most of us here are happy to have him as a punching bag and a source of great jokes and laughs. However, I’ll also say that without Kevin, we might have more meaningful convesations on the content of Frank Herbert’s Dune.
The man's a turd, Nebby.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

So far two posts worth reading.

I disagree that short blunt remarks are all there is to be said about Kevin. After all, we spend much of our time attacking him for his involvement in the Dune franchise and talk about his blahgs on the Internet. If I am wrong, just say that he is in it for the money and that would be the end of it. Otherwhise we must understand that what he does really is his passion despite doing it badly.

Since he is the subject of so much of our anger and also of our amusement (not the quality of his works but the lack of quality), I believe it is very valid to discuss this interesting creature known as Kevin.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nebiros wrote:So far two posts worth reading.
Oh, fuck you, you bitchy little cunt.
trang

Post by trang »

I disagree that short blunt remarks are all there is to be said about Kevin. After all, we spend much of our time attacking him for his involvement in the Dune franchise and talk about his blahgs on the Internet. If I am wrong, just say that he is in it for the money and that would be the end of it. Otherwhise we must understand that what he does really is his passion despite doing it badly.

Since he is the subject of so much of our anger and also of our amusement (not the quality of his works but the lack of quality), I believe it is very valid to discuss this interesting creature known as Kevin.

Kinda lost on what your wanting, I think most the posts hit it pretty much on the head. He is an egomaniac who thrives on mediocre literary awards and achievements, blows paid blurbs of praise to mountain top levels, deeply and truly wishing to be taken as one of the great sci fi writers of his era. He ignores all negative input, even if it is constructive, he considers Volume to be the way to achievement, not quality. What he does in his personal life isnt really a concern.

Its kinda hard not to make money when your putting that much volume out. He stumbled upon the DUNE franchise and has accelerated his take using the same techniques he has used in the other 'verses he works in.

If you want a psych profile, send him an email with questions and some roarshach blots, at this point I bet he see's dollar signs and dune in each print, and not much else.

Ill stick to my original profile: A literary assasin who is out for profit, has no remorse or concern for the damage he is doing. period. Its all about furthering the KJA success train.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

Trang: You just said it. He is out for profit. That's all I needed to hear.

MY point basically is that if there is more than just money he is after: Love and recognition, a passion to write stories and if he really believes he is great, then let's elaborate on it as well as his view of success and how he got to where he is.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Nebiros wrote:Since he is the subject of so much of our anger and also of our amusement (not the quality of his works but the lack of quality), I believe it is very valid to discuss this interesting creature known as Kevin.
One problem is that it's already been covered pretty well in at least one "diagnosis" thread. You're not going to break much new ground here.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Nebiros wrote:Trang: You just said it. He is out for profit. That's all I needed to hear.
This isn't unanimous, BTW. It was just discussed within the last week (are you reading other threads here? :? ).

I think money is a secondary concern for TheKJA, a belief supported by his own words and actions. His primary concern, by far, is own lasting immortality as one of the all-time legends of SF. Not that it's ever going to happen, of course.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
TheDukester wrote:
Nebiros wrote:Trang: You just said it. He is out for profit. That's all I needed to hear.
This isn't unanimous, BTW. It was just discussed within the last week (are you reading other threads here? :? ).

I think money is a secondary concern for TheKJA, a belief supported by his own words and actions. His primary concern, by far, is own lasting immortality as one of the all-time legends of SF. Not that it's ever going to happen, of course.

i'm beginning to wonder if he even cares if it's a positive-legend-status. i think he'd be content with a being known as a prolific hack as long as it means he's remembered. his greatest fear is being seen as completely insignificant, IMHO
So...if we stop talking about him, you think he will feel like a total failure? :think: :lol:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I sure hope my post wasn't one of the two. I resent the implication I am worth reading :P :lol:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

SandChigger wrote:
That makes it three :lol:
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

MY point basically is that if there is more than just money he is after: Love and recognition, a passion to write stories and if he really believes he is great, then let's elaborate on it as well as his view of success and how he got to where he is.
I don't think he's in it for the money. I think he equates sales with quality and really does believe his own hype. He clearly has not taken the time to really look at his fan base: Dumber than shit fuck wads who can't remember anything much less interpret metaphor.

I fucking hate those fucking fucks.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Serkanner wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
QFT :lol:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Rakis wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
QFT :lol:
Obviously from the response, it was a post very much worth reading :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I think the latest interview with "Dead Robots Society" was quite illuminating, particularly with regards to Keith's attitude about writing. I think it goes a long way toward explaining why KJA is the way he is.

KJA seems to have done a lot of movie novelizations, tie-in novels and spin-offs, and I suspect his skills and attitude have been shaped by that. He's probably good at fleshing out a script into a passable novelization, and delivering it on time - important when a novelization has to be published at the same time as the movie release. He's succeeded pretty well at that - he says he's one of the go-to guys when one of these media-related books is needed - and I can believe that's true. He can manage his time to work on more than one of these novels at a time, and still meet the contracted delivery deadlines for them.

That's what his view of a professional author is - someone who can get a contract signed, do the work, and deliver on time in short order. He emphasises punctuality, numbers of copies sold, numbers of books and numbers of pages because his past experience has taught him - correctly, for that part of the industry - that those are how you measure success. He sees himself as good at that because, well, he is, and he probably gets enough requests to reinforce that perception. Consequently, he sees authors who agonise over a book for years and deliver "when it's ready" or who "wait for inspiration" are unprofessional or precious.

Now, obviously he *wants* to be a writer who is highly regarded, wins industry awards and has the respect of his peers. His perception of himself is that he's a good writer, so he thinks he deserves all that. What I think he doesn't fully understand is that it takes a significantly different set of skills and a different attitude to deliver a Hugo award winning novel, rather than a movie tie-in. He doesn't have the writing chops to write a truly original, well plotted, complex SF novel.

He's trying, though. He's tried writing in a Hugo-award-winning universe (Dune). He's tried writing the Big SF Series (Seven Suns). He's collaborated with people who have won awards. But he just can't translate his media tie-in writing skills into mainstream original-work success, because the way he's writing hasn't changed. And he's not about to change that, because that's the key to his success.

But I think he does fear that he's not good enough to be an Asimov, Heinlein or Niven. Hence the deeply wounded ego.

HBJ
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Bravo. :)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Hunchback Jack wrote:I think the latest interview with "Dead Robots Society" was quite illuminating, particularly with regards to Keith's attitude about writing. I think it goes a long way toward explaining why KJA is the way he is.

KJA seems to have done a lot of movie novelizations, tie-in novels and spin-offs, and I suspect his skills and attitude have been shaped by that. He's probably good at fleshing out a script into a passable novelization, and delivering it on time - important when a novelization has to be published at the same time as the movie release. He's succeeded pretty well at that - he says he's one of the go-to guys when one of these media-related books is needed - and I can believe that's true. He can manage his time to work on more than one of these novels at a time, and still meet the contracted delivery deadlines for them.

That's what his view of a professional author is - someone who can get a contract signed, do the work, and deliver on time in short order. He emphasises punctuality, numbers of copies sold, numbers of books and numbers of pages because his past experience has taught him - correctly, for that part of the industry - that those are how you measure success. He sees himself as good at that because, well, he is, and he probably gets enough requests to reinforce that perception. Consequently, he sees authors who agonise over a book for years and deliver "when it's ready" or who "wait for inspiration" are unprofessional or precious.

Now, obviously he *wants* to be a writer who is highly regarded, wins industry awards and has the respect of his peers. His perception of himself is that he's a good writer, so he thinks he deserves all that. What I think he doesn't fully understand is that it takes a significantly different set of skills and a different attitude to deliver a Hugo award winning novel, rather than a movie tie-in. He doesn't have the writing chops to write a truly original, well plotted, complex SF novel.

He's trying, though. He's tried writing in a Hugo-award-winning universe (Dune). He's tried writing the Big SF Series (Seven Suns). He's collaborated with people who have won awards. But he just can't translate his media tie-in writing skills into mainstream original-work success, because the way he's writing hasn't changed. And he's not about to change that, because that's the key to his success.

But I think he does fear that he's not good enough to be an Asimov, Heinlein or Niven. Hence the deeply wounded ego.

HBJ
So basically, he has more in common with Bobo than we thought : "Deeply wounded that he will never be like Frank" (misery loves company), except that he became a "writer-for-hire"...
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

Hunchback Jack wrote:I think the latest interview with "Dead Robots Society" was quite illuminating, particularly with regards to Keith's attitude about writing. I think it goes a long way toward explaining why KJA is the way he is.

HBJ
I'd say this is a good guess at what KJA is like as a writer. We all know that in most of his interviews in the past he has pulled out how many books he has sold, how long his books have been on the NYT Bestseller list and all that crap.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

FAN-tastic, jack - hit the nail on the head, all the way around

I'd like to see this posted @ Amazon - it's balanced, fair,
gives TheKeith what little credit he is actually due, points
out the major, obvious flaws ... great review, I give it 5 stars ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

/agree post it on amazon in the KJA forum. Its always good to have a balanced voice over there since 'the J5 are obviously just haters with an ax to grind'

It could use an addendum that explains his need to use brand names to further his success and his seeming inability to reconcile the difference between sales to fanboys based off of name and sales to readers based of quality.

As to would Kev miss us if we left him alone? No, he'd see it as a victory, and in Throne of Dune we'd be subjected to Paul's trips around the galaxy as a Child Broadway Star, fighting off the horde of New Face Dancer Critics and Honored Matre Divas.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ampoliros wrote:in Throne of Dune we'd be subjected to Paul's trips around the galaxy as a Child Broadway Star, fighting off the horde of New Face Dancer Critics and Honored Matre Divas.
Oh for the LOVE of the Maker, Ampoliros, do you HAVE to post that shit in public?! Kevin's got a WHOLE YEAR to see and "appropriate" it now! :twisted:

:lol:

There are still three years left between the "Jongleur Jaunt" described in WoD and when the Atreides leave for Arrakis, so he could still squeeze in plenty of new flashback incidents in Throne. Or even LoD. :(

In fact, wouldn't it be in keeping with Kevin's apparent need to completely diss Leto II to poop-pack Leto of Dune with Paul flashbacks?

And there's also those unexamined 12 years between Paul's birth and the PoD flashbacks.

Oh yes, Kevin has plenty left to shit on.... :tissue2:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Who is online