"New Canon" Inconsistency Concordance

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

merkin muffley

Re: "New Canon" Inconsistency Concordance

Post by merkin muffley »

lotek wrote:
Entik wrote:Another inconsistency about Gurney's back story that wasn't mentionned here: in Dune, when Gurney and Paul reunite in the desert, Gurney compares Paul' expression to that of the Old Duke... I interpret it as Gurney having first hand experience of the Old Duke..
A smile touched Paul's mouth, but there was a hardness in the expression
that reminded Gurney of the Old Duke, Paul's grandfather.
The ridiculous version of Gurney, working in the mines and playing the baliset at the bar, from the House books, bears absolutely no resemblance to the Gurney in Dune.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
A Little Galach

Post by A Little Galach »

That was before his sweet sister was kidnapped, enslaved, maimed and raped in front of Gurney's helpless eyes. Fortunately Gurney was the only person not killed by Rabban on all of Geidi Prime, and apparently the only one who ever attempted to escape off-planet.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

A Little Galach wrote:That was before his sweet sister was kidnapped, enslaved, maimed and raped in front of Gurney's helpless eyes.
THAT was shit.
A Little Galach

Post by A Little Galach »

merkin muffley wrote:
A Little Galach wrote:That was before his sweet sister was kidnapped, enslaved, maimed and raped in front of Gurney's helpless eyes.
THAT was shit.
I agree, that was rude of the Beast. On the bright side it helped shape Gurney into the tenacious warrior on par with anyone in the Atreides servivce...without anything beyond ditch-digging training.
grandmastercrafter

Post by grandmastercrafter »

A Little Galach wrote:...Romeo and Juliet II was written by Shakespeare's estranged and retarded son while under the spell of an apothecary of ill-repute....
huh? you mean you didn't know? :shhh: keep that on the down-low, eh? :laughing-lmao:
THINK CRITICALLY
:auto-gmcredsmiley:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Is this a new one? I don't remember it being mentioned and searches haven't turned up anything yet...

In the prologue to The Butlerian Jihad, Irulan says she will tell "the story of free humans rebelling against the domination of robots, computer, and cymeks." The prologue goes on to detail the rise of the Titans and their conversion to "cymeks". Agamemnon is mentioned BY NAME repeatedly. Irulan also specifically refers to "the current jihad that followed the overthrow of my father, Emperor Shaddam IV", establishing that the time of writing is during the Fremen Jihad, in the period between Dune and Dune Messiah.

Later, in Children of Dune, Irulan doesn't seem to know who Agamemnon was, or to even recognize the name, when Ghanima mentions the Greek king and Atreides ancestor in passing.

Did Irulan go stupid? Or did the hack(s) fuck up on another little detail? (I think this one is a stupid, careless mistake rather than an intentional change like "Paul born on Kaitain", because setting the time of writing during the Fremen Jihad doesn't really make any difference in the McDune story.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
Later, in Children of Dune, Irulan doesn't seem to know who Agamemnon was, or to even recognize the name, when Ghanima mentions the Greek king and Atreides ancestor in passing.

Did Irulan go stupid? Or did the hack(s) fuck up on another little detail? (I think this one is a stupid, careless mistake rather than an intentional change like "Paul born on Kaitain", because setting the time of writing during the Fremen Jihad doesn't really make any difference in the McDune story.)
No dude. Frank just forgot what Kevin wrote in that earlier book.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

In CoD, Frank did write about the future changing the past...
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Of course, we've learned from the SciFi Channel's adaptations of Dune that Irulan wore hats that were so large that they had a gravitational pull that sucked the brain cells out of the person wearing them, so she got progressively stupider as time went on.

Yeah, it's a dumb mistake by the two idiots. You'd think that they would've read the Dune books very closely, considering they're making their livelihood from milking it. But no...
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, Braintrust Brian Herbivore-Milker Herbert supposedly spent a year creating a concordance of the REAL Dune books, but I guess he missed that bit. :roll:

They can get it right that the Harkonnen Keep on Giedi Prime was 950 stories high and 45 kilometers long but they couldn't be bothered with the chronology? Fuck, they had some eye doctor in Hungary do their official chronology!

Fucking losers.

And the books read like they were written by and for Young Adults. Anderson & HerboBo are jokes.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

It will all be explained in the Sisterhood book when its revealed that Agamemnon escaped in to the future and the past at the same time, and erased Irulan's memory of him when he came to help her father convert his ghola army into an army of cybernetic zombies from the past. His past traveling self of course, ended up on the ancient Hellespont where he fathered a dynasty.

Thats why he constantly refers to his enemies as 'those damnable trojans!' However his Trojan Sandworm gift causes an explosion so ultra-deadly, it sends shock waves through Arrakis causing it to shift orbit into a more temperate zone thus allowing Leto II to turn Arrakis into a green planet.

....whoa....

The Kwisatz Haderach was the Bene gesseritt male who could look where they could not. What do you call it when you look inside to that part of your brain where no one should ever look, because thats where KJA gets all of his shit ideas.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Hey Buddy, slow down and save it for the Fan Fic Contest. :wink:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Amp, mind=blown.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Nekhrun wrote:Hey Buddy, slow down and save it for the Fan Fic Contest. :wink:
I'm sorry, like i said, I think I have some kind of other memory channel to the way KJA thinks. It must be from one of his books though since that's not the way other memory actually works.

Maybe its my mutant power.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Ampoliros wrote:Maybe its my mutant power.
Hard luck, mate. :(
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:Maybe its my mutant power.
Hard luck, mate. :(
Yeah, you really got shafted there.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I can only hope that KJA sees it and has to do a completely re-hike of chapters worth of material.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

So say we all.

(Seriously, though, time travel is something we've anticipated them trying since Hunters & Sandworms. Would anyone put it past the pricks at this point?)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Oh, God ... time travel. I'd sort of trained my brain not to even consider it.

The two worst writers currently working in English today ...

... trying to write time travel.

The mind reels.

It really does. I think I just blew a fuse.

I need to lie down.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I've thought about it, and I like to tell myself that the reason they did not go that way was because they feared the unholy HELL that they knew we would unleash upon them if they did dare.

But $10 says that's in one or more of their outlines or on Bobo's big coloring book of Dune (you know; the concordance and master plan).

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh, yeah, you know they thought about it.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

We have paradoxes the likes of which GAWD has never seen!

I watched The Time Traveler's Wife again last night, loved it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Crizius

Post by Crizius »

Lasguns in HOUSE ATREIDES:

"He fired a near-invisible bolt of white-orange fire from the lasgun..."

Lasguns in DUNE:

"Paul pointed to the violence above the distant cliff--the jetflares, the purple beams of lasguns lacing the desert."

The authors have corrected their error by HOUSE HARKONNEN.

Here the Battle of Corrin is said to be the final battle of the Butlerian Jihad, fought by the "Bridge of Hrethgir":

Don't you know anything about the Battle of Corrin, the great betrayal, the Bridge of Hrethgir? How a cowardly Harkonnen ancestor almost cost the humans our victory against the hated machine-minds?

Through battle and high peril, the Atreides family has never to my knowledge committed any treasonous or dishonorable act -- all the way back to their heroism and sacrifice at the Bridge of Hrethgir during the Butlerian Jihad.

According to DUNE (Terminology of the Empire) it was a space battle that took place twenty years after the Butlerian Jihad was over:
I always imagined that Lasgun colors like phaser in Star Trek or Blaster in Star Wars vary by faction
Last edited by Crizius on 22 Jan 2020 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Remember the alamo!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

What made you think that?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Crizius

Post by Crizius »

Freakzilla wrote:What made you think that?
Nothing specific, just imagination
Last edited by Crizius on 19 Jan 2020 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
Remember the alamo!