Writing Critique - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

TheDukester

Re: Writing Critique - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Post by TheDukester »

What's the point of all this, Brian? I mean, beyond trolling — I already get that part.

You've got people here who are dying to have you step up to the plate and discuss/debate the McDunes. But, instead, every time you end one of your self-imposed exiles, you come back and do the same thing: get into a slap-fight with Chigger, post internet memes that were hip four years ago, and make a half-hearted attempt to post in a couple of Dune threads. This will inevitably lead to the next two steps: 1) you will accuse us of being close-minded, and 2) you will go away again for another few months.

It's like Groundhog Day, Brian ... except the movie was actually funny.

It's a serious question: what's the point?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

TheDukester wrote:What's the point of all this, Brian? I mean, beyond trolling — I already get that part.

You've got people here who are dying to have you step up to the plate and discuss/debate the McDunes. But, instead, every time you end one of your self-imposed exiles, you come back and do the same thing: get into a slap-fight with Chigger, post internet memes that were hip four years ago, and make a half-hearted attempt to post in a couple of Dune threads. This will inevitably lead to the next two steps: 1) you will accuse us of being close-minded, and 2) you will go away again for another few months.

I'll give you a serious answer - While there may be some interest in discussing and debating original vs new, I do not think that the time is right to open that door again yet. I would rather spend my time (while i have some) deepening my own understanding of the original dune, and see where that leads me. I do recognize that there is a large amount of good information on this site, and since I have a strong interest to broaden my understanding of this series I will continue to come back. Also, I know that my time available is going to change again soon. I do not want to start another cycle of getting into a debate that I will be forced to walk aways from. I would rather break that cycle since it only ends up frustrating everyone involved.

The other upside to keeping the context confined to the original books is that you may learn, to your surprise, that i am not some drooling idiot. I think that allowing for a paradigm shift in how I am viewed here, and in my own understanding of the originals will ultimately lead to a better conversation. I think I have already demonstrated my willingness to change my opinion based on new information and evidence.

Post by TheDukester »

redbugpest wrote:I think that allowing for a paradigm shift in how I am viewed here, and in my own understanding of the originals will ultimately lead to a better conversation.
Fair enough. I think that's something I could support.

But, in all seriousness, if you want to shift that paradigm, it would be helpful to not post the same picture seven times. You're just undermining yourself when you do that.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

redbugpest wrote:
TheDukester wrote:What's the point of all this, Brian? I mean, beyond trolling — I already get that part.

I'll give you a serious answer - While there may be some interest in discussing and debating original vs new, I do not think that the time is right to open that door again yet. I would rather spend my time (while i have some) deepening my own understanding of the original dune, and see where that leads me. I do recognize that there is a large amount of good information on this site, and since I have a strong interest to broaden my understanding of this series I will continue to come back. Also, I know that my time available is going to change again soon. I do not want to start another cycle of getting into a debate that I will be forced to walk aways from. I would rather break that cycle since it only ends up frustrating everyone involved.

The other upside to keeping the context confined to the original books is that you may learn, to your surprise, that i am not some drooling idiot. I think that allowing for a paradigm shift in how I am viewed here, and in my own understanding of the originals will ultimately lead to a better conversation. I think I have already demonstrated my willingness to change my opinion based on new information and evidence.

:clap:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Talk's cheap. The cunt's a shill. :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

redbugpest wrote:
Serkanner wrote:What a sad man your are pesty pork. A year plus and not one single issue debated. I am glad you stop by now to show us that indeed de McDune fandom consists of losers, idiots, fuckwits and most of all ... cowards.
The sad man is Chigger, who cant help but try and start shit at any opportunity he can. I really do feel sorry for him.

With over 300 posts on this site, I find it hard to believe that you can claim I have not engaged in any debates at all over the last year. It is this kind of attitude that has convinced me that there is not a real open Chanel of Communication for these kinds of discussions at this time. Since this site is really intended for and focused on discussions on the original series, I am going to keep my questions and comments restricted to that arena only for the time being.
Why are you talking about Sandchigger in a response to me? Do you want to suck his dick so badly?

Since when does post count has anything to do with debating? I do claim you have avoided any and all discussions on this board even when so agreed with some of the more friendly units on this board. My claim is right on the spot. This site is NOT just intended for discussing the original series. Did you miss the forum set up for the McDune books? Have you forgotten the invitations to discuss the literary quality of these books? You are just a coward.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Serkanner wrote:You are just a coward.
Essentially wraps him up in a nutcase... I mean, nutshell.

When he first showed up in attack mode on my blog back around the first of May last year, he hid his identity instead of identifying himself as someone I knew from MySpace, where we'd interacted somewhat, including in comments on KJA's old blahg there. What did he fear that he had to hide in that way? :think:
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Serkanner wrote:
redbugpest wrote:
Serkanner wrote:What a sad man your are pesty pork. A year plus and not one single issue debated. I am glad you stop by now to show us that indeed de McDune fandom consists of losers, idiots, fuckwits and most of all ... cowards.
The sad man is Chigger, who cant help but try and start shit at any opportunity he can. I really do feel sorry for him.

With over 300 posts on this site, I find it hard to believe that you can claim I have not engaged in any debates at all over the last year. It is this kind of attitude that has convinced me that there is not a real open Chanel of Communication for these kinds of discussions at this time. Since this site is really intended for and focused on discussions on the original series, I am going to keep my questions and comments restricted to that arena only for the time being.
Why are you talking about Sandchigger in a response to me? Do you want to suck his dick so badly?

Since when does post count has anything to do with debating? I do claim you have avoided any and all discussions on this board even when so agreed with some of the more friendly units on this board. My claim is right on the spot. This site is NOT just intended for discussing the original series. Did you miss the forum set up for the McDune books? Have you forgotten the invitations to discuss the literary quality of these books? You are just a coward.
Well, I disagree with you on all points above. There is no point adding to this, as I do not think we can agree.

Post by Lundse »

TheDukester wrote:
redbugpest wrote:I think that allowing for a paradigm shift in how I am viewed here, and in my own understanding of the originals will ultimately lead to a better conversation.
Fair enough. I think that's something I could support.

But, in all seriousness, if you want to shift that paradigm, it would be helpful to not post the same picture seven times. You're just undermining yourself when you do that.
Seconded!

I do not foresee a lot of serious discussion between us, since I am not really interested in discussing Dune unless we can talk about the whole thing (including the Butlerian Jihad and so on) - and I think we disagree on how to read that.
But if you do not want to have that discussion, or do not want it right now, that does not prohibit you from using the forum in any way, as I see it. I have my reservations, and from our previous discussions, debating tactics and the way they were left off, you'll excuse me if I am not overly enthusiastic in their renewal, new discussion or my welcome. But you are welcome...
Shaitan

Re: Writing Critique

Post by Shaitan »

From Brainyquotes:

Of course you don't make any noise in space, because there's no air.
-Kevin J. Anderson

Sigh.
SandChigger wrote:
Robspierre wrote:Hasn't Kieth also claimed to have a minor in Russian History when flogging his latest hackery?
Maybe for Enemas and Analities, his new Batman/Spurmman slash?

Not sure, but he's quoted as saying it here (KJA Quotes page):
I had a minor in Russian history, and this was at the time when the big Cold War was going on.
(As opposed to the little Cold War? :? )
Kevin J Anderson’s Education

University of Wisconsin-Madison
BS , Physics, Astronomy, Russian History
From: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/kevin-j-anderson/7/44b/94a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So a major in Physics and two minors? Interesting.
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Shaitan wrote:From Brainyquotes:

-Kevin J. Anderson

Sigh.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Is that seriously a quote of his???!?!?! Go read the passage from the Legends of Dune series where they test a lasgun on a sheild (set up on an asteroid or something) and HEAR THE EXPLOSION!! (Also the same passage where they forgot that the lasgun ALSO explodes in one of these reactions, and then made up some serious BS to cover their asses later). :shock:
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

redbugpest wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
redbugpest wrote:

Well, I disagree with you on all points above. There is no point adding to this, as I do not think we can agree.
Thanks for the confirmation that you are a coward. Now you can just fuck off and die.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:

-Kevin J. Anderson

Sigh.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Is that seriously a quote of his???!?!?! Go read the passage from the Legends of Dune series where they test a lasgun on a sheild (set up on an asteroid or something) and HEAR THE EXPLOSION!! (Also the same passage where they forgot that the lasgun ALSO explodes in one of these reactions, and then made up some serious BS to cover their asses later). :shock:
Yup. It is indeed. Gotta love KJA.

I could swear in the original Dune series I read FH as saying that the explosion was simply so big that the blast radius would inevitably engulf the shooter too (sheer curvature of the planet on which the shot was fired would dictate that they'd have to be within 15-20 miles most likely to be able to get off a successful shot, assuming that distance is no issue for the effectiveness or coherence of the lasbeam)...not necessarily that the lasgun itself would actually detonate. But maybe I'm remembering the text wrong.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Shaitan wrote:

-Kevin J. Anderson

Sigh.
Yup. It is indeed. Gotta love KJA.

I could swear in the original Dune series I read FH as saying that the explosion was simply so big that the blast radius would inevitably engulf the shooter too (sheer curvature of the planet on which the shot was fired would dictate that they'd have to be within 15-20 miles most likely to be able to get off a successful shot, assuming that distance is no issue for the effectiveness or coherence of the lasbeam)...not necessarily that the lasgun itself would actually detonate. But maybe I'm remembering the text wrong.
It varies...

:cylon101:

Jessica focused her mind on lasguns, wondering. The white-hot beams of
disruptive light could cut through any known substance, provided that substance
was not shielded. The fact that feedback from a shield would explode both lasgun
and shield did not bother the Harkonnens. Why? A lasgun-shield explosion was a
dangerous variable, could be more powerful than atomics, could kill only the
gunner and his shielded target.

~Dune
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

Freakzilla wrote:It varies...

:cylon101:

Jessica focused her mind on lasguns, wondering. The white-hot beams of
disruptive light could cut through any known substance, provided that substance
was not shielded. The fact that feedback from a shield would explode both lasgun
and shield did not bother the Harkonnens. Why? A lasgun-shield explosion was a
dangerous variable, could be more powerful than atomics, could kill only the
gunner and his shielded target.

~Dune
Great quote, thank you. I'd forgotten that it could vary. Damned McDune has infected my brain with the notion that it's a super-nuke every time. :roll:
A Thing of Eternity

The excuse they came up with for forgetting that the lasgun itself also explodes was pretty funny. It didn't even make sense because of how they worded it.
Sev

Post by Sev »

Anyone ever figure out just what 'prescient manipulation' is? - besides bullshit...
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

KJA visualizing his next masturbation session?
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger wrote:KJA visualizing his next masturbation session?

Dude! I'm just about to go eat dinner! :puke:

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

So? Just say "HOLD the mayo!" and stay away from anything with tartar sauce! :lol:

"But... oh... oh... OH I CAN'T HOLD IT ANY LONGER!!!!" :shock:

(And try not to think of those urban legends about waiters milkin' the pilkin into the creamy salad dressing.)
A Thing of Eternity

Sev wrote:Anyone ever figure out just what 'prescient manipulation' is? - besides bullshit...
They're full of shit, they somehow managed to confuse being prescient with having telekinetic powers. Either that, or KJA doesn't actually know what that word "prescient" even means, which is a real possibility if he thinks it's a power that can stop explosions!!
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Sev wrote:Anyone ever figure out just what 'prescient manipulation' is? - besides bullshit...
They're full of shit, they somehow managed to confuse being prescient with having telekinetic powers. Either that, or KJA doesn't actually know what that word "prescient" even means, which is a real possibility if he thinks it's a power that can stop explosions!!
Actually, I have seen this term used in a business and economic context. It is the use of internal evaluations and the setting of guideposts (strategic planning) for the most desirable future, then applying external influences to shape the marketplace to meet the desired future. An example would be:

Oil companies want to raise revenue by an additional 4% in a stable market (the goal post). Announcing a slowdown of production due to maintenance concerns, or creating / spreading rhetoric on potential supply problems such as increased tensions in the middle east will help change futures speculation, driving the price for oil up, which is in line with the future goals set by the oil companies.

Might not be the best example, but I think you will be able to get the drift.

**Edit** Just read the thread at DN. Can't say I could really support such a loose use of "Prescience Manipulation". **Edit**

redbugpest wrote:**Edit** Just read the thread at DN. Can't say I could really support such a loose use of "Prescience Manipulation". **Edit**
Yeah, in the context they used it it was obviously intended to baffle the questioner with bullshit to make them stop asking questions.

The thing is that if they'd actually intended to have Norma prevent the explosion telekinetically they would have written something in the text showing this. This is a huge part of why people grow to profoundly dislike KJA - he refuses to admit mistakes. Why not just say "whoops, good point"?
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

redbugpest wrote: **Edit** Just read the thread at DN. Can't say I could really support such a loose use of "Prescience Manipulation". **Edit**
You notice how things keep getting deleted over there, even if they aren't personal attacks on the author, but are just arguing that things like "prescient manipulation" and the thunderous shockwave in space are clumsy writing because they don't really make sense or stand up to scrutiny?

I'm just saying, be careful, because you might get banned over there for saying "prescient manipulation" doesn't make sense.

Even though it obviously doesn't make sense.

Because if you were manipulating something presciently, you'd prevent it from happening in the first place.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I've done prescient manipulation before. There's a dirty joke in there, but I feel that that would be beneath me.

(Just kidding)

I just stopped looking at hooters on the interwebs so as to prevent my own lasgun from misfiring and causing an explosion against my protective shield. :shifty:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie