Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

    Abandon all sanity ye who enter here

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

User avatar
E. LeGuille
Posts: 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2009 02:22

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby E. LeGuille » 27 Aug 2009 22:47

I offered up to read some of his stuff, and I've looked at how he does books. I have to say, the way he organizes stuff... it's not at all how I would do it. He has his method, and it works for him. Me? I take notes, and toss them in a big lockbox, hoping one day to put them on a CD or USB flash drive, or Holographic Memory core. Or whatever that stuff is called in HP where he pulls the white strings out of his head. O---something.

No, you're right. The fanbase is just that -- it's fans. It's a base of people who support you, even if you are going to destroy the world. Or a world.

And those people should be locked up for mental evaluation.
Image
Long Live the Fighters.

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby SandChigger » 27 Aug 2009 23:16

E. LeGuille wrote:I am going to study the situation more.

Always advisable. :)

And, SandChigger -- I am sorry you consider me and what I say Ghafla. I am still learning about this stuff. Give it time, I will understand it more and more all the time.

Don't take it personally. I'm actually much more amused at the pageantry of the parade we're seeing. :D

(Are you saying you've read some of KJA's "poo-rose" in a fresh state? You must have climbed the ranks over in the Special Forcers really fast!)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"

User avatar
E. LeGuille
Posts: 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2009 02:22

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby E. LeGuille » 27 Aug 2009 23:26

SandChigger wrote:
E. LeGuille wrote:I am going to study the situation more.

Always advisable. :)

And, SandChigger -- I am sorry you consider me and what I say Ghafla. I am still learning about this stuff. Give it time, I will understand it more and more all the time.

Don't take it personally. I'm actually much more amused at the pageantry of the parade we're seeing. :D

(Are you saying you've read some of KJA's "poo-rose" in a fresh state? You must have climbed the ranks over in the Special Forcers really fast!)


Actually, I was invited, but I've never done anything with the points system. He had some material available for reading in how he structured one of the books, and two samples of WoD, and I read them. That was all.

Now, my question is why the topic specifically called out Conway. I know how you think of him, but honestly, I feel overwhelmed when more than one person is quoting me. I honestly feel like I am dissected, which when I saw how many people were informing me of thier views, I thought, "Hm. This is something I need to look at more."

As far as ranks go in there... I don't really have a rank there. I just kind of... uh. Talk and ask questions. The biggest thing for me was to be able to talk to another author. That to me, is so cool. Before I joined KJASF, I did not know ANYTHING about Jacurutu, the O.H., etc. Honestly, you guys have great passion. I really, really want SandChigger and Freakzilla one day to proof for me.

Being honest. I want you to hate my book so much, that you find every flaw possible.
Now, I got to write it. :)
Image
Long Live the Fighters.

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1202
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby Redstar » 27 Aug 2009 23:31

If it makes you feel better, I thought he was exclaiming Ghafla at me. I post so (relatively) little over here that I imagine my Dune-focused views aren't orthodox, though I don't know.

And I'd be happy to hate your work for you. :)

User avatar
SandRider
Watermaster
Posts: 6163
Joined: 05 Oct 2008 16:14
Location: In the back of your mind. Always.
Contact:

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby SandRider » 27 Aug 2009 23:52

Brian Conway brought the jihad on himself.
It's all here, & at Amazon, and on Chig's blagh.


his first sig here was :

Dune - it's not just by Frank Herbert anymore.


then it turns out he's just an ignorant asswipe, and a pussy besides.

can't fight his way out of a paper bag.

Fuck Brian Conway.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008

User avatar
E. LeGuille
Posts: 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2009 02:22

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby E. LeGuille » 27 Aug 2009 23:58

I did not read all his posts. And I know about his behavior.

I just didn't think it was all that big a deal to get worked up over. He was baited, and he baited you guys. Tit for tat, and a lot of wasted space on the internet. We're trying to be green here, let's be nice to the internet. It's had a bad day.
Image
Long Live the Fighters.

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1202
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby Redstar » 28 Aug 2009 00:00

E. LeGuille wrote:I did not read all his posts. And I know about his behavior.

I just didn't think it was all that big a deal to get worked up over. He was baited, and he baited you guys. Tit for tat, and a lot of wasted space on the internet. We're trying to be green here, let's be nice to the internet. It's had a bad day.

Horrible day. I spent last night and most of today debating the differences between literary element and literary device with some arrogant girl that has technical writing skill, but horribly sucks at anything close to prose and refuses to take my editing to heart.

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby SandChigger » 28 Aug 2009 00:08

Conway is irrelevant. (Or "irreverent" as he himself would no doubt have it. You can't take anyone seriously in a discussion/debate over books & literature who can't be bothered to spell correctly.) Almost as irrelevant as KJA himself during this non-Dune/"Smellhole" interim. ;)

Redstar wrote:If it makes you feel better, I thought he was exclaiming Ghafla at me.

:lol:

Behold the subtle power of ambiguity. ;)

(Would I ever do something like that to YOU, Red'. :P )

E. LeGuille wrote:Actually, I was invited, but I've never done anything with the points system.

I think everyone there was. Invited I mean. Except for me, during my brief sojourn. :P

And not having done anything for points is points in your favor. :)

I feel overwhelmed when more than one person is quoting me. I honestly feel like I am dissected

Better get used to it, if you're planning on making a living of writing. ;)

The biggest thing for me was to be able to talk to another author.

I hope you find one then, to talk to. (You've got Redstar here now. :) )

Being honest. I want you to hate my book so much, that you find every flaw possible.

Good attitude. Remember the maxim from the programming world and "kill your darlings".

If KJA were even half the writer he should be (to be doing Dune), that would be his attitude as well.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"

User avatar
E. LeGuille
Posts: 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2009 02:22

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby E. LeGuille » 28 Aug 2009 00:23

The reason I brought up Conway was because the post was directed towards him. I just didn't know why.
Image
Long Live the Fighters.

Slugger
Posts: 158
Joined: 11 Aug 2009 20:13

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby Slugger » 28 Aug 2009 09:39

E. LeGuille wrote:We're trying to be green here, let's be nice to the internet.


The only green I like is money.

User avatar
Eyes High
Patience Personified
Posts: 2322
Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby Eyes High » 07 Sep 2009 13:31

E. LeGuille wrote:The reason I brought up Conway was because the post was directed towards him. I just didn't know why.


Because (I believe) at the time he joined here to 'discuss' the books but was saying very little. It seemed like he came out swinging and some of the guys came out swinging.

I have exchanged some pms with him a few times and of course he was more polite in those.

That is one reason I like reading your posts so much is the polite way you express your opinions. I look forward to reading more from you and I hope that Redbug comes back again and have some serious debates about Dune.

But that is my opinion.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.

User avatar
E. LeGuille
Posts: 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2009 02:22

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby E. LeGuille » 11 Sep 2009 04:12

I see him here and there, but I don't often talk to him, or anyone else, in person. No -- coming in guns blazing will never win you favors. In fact, I admit I don't know enough Dune to say one way or another about the issue. I like watching everyone's discussions; and rather than watch and hide in the shadows, I like you all to know I am who I am, and if you don't like it -- then tell me. Because I don't want to be this enemy from the other side of the fence, though some could see it that way (not that I am saying anyone does -- except maybe SandChigger. I think the fact I read a KJA book makes me an evil preek).

And another thing is that I don't like preeks either: To me, a preek is someone who defends a book without adhering to the original content's purpose. If you are going to argue the favor of one book to the other: make a plausible way for it to happen. Hell, when I was young-er, I made tie-ins for all the Legend of Zelda stories (even the second one.... that horrible piece of gaming that -it- is.) I at least -tried- to help Nintendo explain the bastardization of Zelda by completely nullifying the story of Link to the Past... something to do with back to the future things...

In the same way -- if you honestly cannot come to a good conclusion, you aren't impressing anyone here, or outside (even Kevin) by showing you have no idea what you are talking about. I need to at least know what I am talking about before I debate it.

So, you guys are the reason I am here. To learn the ways of the OH, and to understand. Not fight. Well, maybe a little. :whistle:
Image
Long Live the Fighters.

User avatar
lotek
Posts: 5778
Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby lotek » 11 Sep 2009 04:27

from what i see it seems the Kev does revel in mindless adoration and sycophants
a servile person who, acting in his or her own self-interest, attempts to win favor by flattering one or more influential persons,or by saying lies against a fellow citizen for gaining a kind of profit. These actions are executed at the cost of his or her own personal pride, principles, and peer respect.


You at least are able to defend your point of view and argument in a coherent way, and you are entitled to it in all fairness, as long as you can justify that choice with sound reasoning.
Spice is the worm's gonads.

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1202
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby Redstar » 11 Sep 2009 04:27

E. LeGuille wrote:I see him here and there, but I don't often talk to him, or anyone else, in person. No -- coming in guns blazing will never win you favors. In fact, I admit I don't know enough Dune to say one way or another about the issue. I like watching everyone's discussions; and rather than watch and hide in the shadows, I like you all to know I am who I am, and if you don't like it -- then tell me. Because I don't want to be this enemy from the other side of the fence, though some could see it that way (not that I am saying anyone does -- except maybe SandChigger. I think the fact I read a KJA book makes me an evil preek).

In the same way -- if you honestly cannot come to a good conclusion, you aren't impressing anyone here, or outside (even Kevin) by showing you have no idea what you are talking about. I need to at least know what I am talking about before I debate it.

So, you guys are the reason I am here. To learn the ways of the OH, and to understand. Not fight. Well, maybe a little. :whistle:

I doubt anyone really worries about you, since you've said what you believe and have given an admission of willingness to learn. I myself have a dirty secret in relation to books... I like a book many don't.

On a small writing community I go to (the one where I've had arguments on fucking literary terms for god's sake), I've basically said "Fuck it" and started calling people out on their idiocy. I proclaimed I hate Star Wars, and actually turned up a KJA fan because of it. She was not amused.

E. LeGuille wrote:And another thing is that I don't like preeks either: To me, a preek is someone who defends a book without adhering to the original content's purpose. If you are going to argue the favor of one book to the other: make a plausible way for it to happen. Hell, when I was young-er, I made tie-ins for all the Legend of Zelda stories (even the second one.... that horrible piece of gaming that -it- is.) I at least -tried- to help Nintendo explain the bastardization of Zelda by completely nullifying the story of Link to the Past... something to do with back to the future things...

Well, Link is called the "Hero of Time". Word of God on the series is that there's two time-lines that branch off from each other.

User avatar
E. LeGuille
Posts: 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2009 02:22

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby E. LeGuille » 11 Sep 2009 04:32

I think Shigeru Miyamoto basically said that Zelda: OoT was pre-emptive of the whole game's plot. That branches off to Zelda 3 -> 1,2, 4... with a split going towards Majora's mask on the second timeline.

But my whole thing was that if it goes, 3, 1, 2, 4 -- then after Link awakens the Wind Fish, I think there could be a good story. Since it is never really explained HOW the freaking hell he got back from Kohohilint to Hyrule.

But this is off topic.
Image
Long Live the Fighters.

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1202
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby Redstar » 11 Sep 2009 04:42

E. LeGuille wrote:I think Shigeru Miyamoto basically said that Zelda: OoT was pre-emptive of the whole game's plot. That branches off to Zelda 3 -> 1,2, 4... with a split going towards Majora's mask on the second timeline.

But my whole thing was that if it goes, 3, 1, 2, 4 -- then after Link awakens the Wind Fish, I think there could be a good story. Since it is never really explained HOW the freaking hell he got back from Kohohilint to Hyrule.

But this is off topic.

redbug isn't coming back, and if he does he wont bother to answer anyways. I think it's a fine discussion.

Link probably died out there in the ocean. If not, he swam back.

User avatar
E. LeGuille
Posts: 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2009 02:22

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby E. LeGuille » 11 Sep 2009 04:53

Well, if you get the special ending, it suggests that Marin saves him. I don't think he could swim back, most likely he got picked up by someone. He was on a pretty crappy raft, after all.
Image
Long Live the Fighters.

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14492
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: A continuing state of irritation
Contact:

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby SandChigger » 11 Sep 2009 07:07

E. LeGuille wrote:Because I don't want to be this enemy from the other side of the fence, though some could see it that way (not that I am saying anyone does -- except maybe SandChigger. I think the fact I read a KJA book makes me an evil preek).

Oh, blah blah blah, boo hoo.

I think the fact that you are A KJA FAN shows that you have no taste in reading material. As a wannabe writer you fit perfectly into what I perceive as one rather largish class of KJA fans. (For whom I believe the major motivational factor is: "If someone who writes as shittily as this can become a BEST-SELLING AUTHOR, maybe I can, too!!!")

I don't consider you an "enemy" or a friend. You're just the latest clown passing in the parade, the flavor of the month.

Just so there's no misunderstanding about what I think. :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18258
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby Freakzilla » 11 Sep 2009 08:32

We were all stupid enough to read TheKJA's books up to a point. Most of us thought they sucked but were hoping for just a shred of true FH info.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Apjak
Posts: 518
Joined: 30 Jun 2008 12:06
Location: Kansas City

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby Apjak » 11 Sep 2009 09:15

Freakzilla wrote:We were all stupid enough to read TheKJA's books up to a point. Most of us thought they sucked but were hoping for just a shred of true FH info.


I was a friend of that hope.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert

User avatar
GamePlayer
70mm God
Posts: 2993
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 11:26
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby GamePlayer » 11 Sep 2009 09:52

Freakzilla wrote:We were all stupid enough to read TheKJA's books up to a point. Most of us thought they sucked but were hoping for just a shred of true FH info.


Actually, some of us fortuitously escaped ever reading a KJA book :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18258
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby Freakzilla » 11 Sep 2009 09:58

GamePlayer wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:We were all stupid enough to read TheKJA's books up to a point. Most of us thought they sucked but were hoping for just a shred of true FH info.


Actually, some of us fortuitously escaped ever reading a KJA book :)


Some of us haven't read all the FH books either. :x
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
GamePlayer
70mm God
Posts: 2993
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 11:26
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby GamePlayer » 11 Sep 2009 10:05

Freakzilla wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:We were all stupid enough to read TheKJA's books up to a point. Most of us thought they sucked but were hoping for just a shred of true FH info.


Actually, some of us fortuitously escaped ever reading a KJA book :)


Some of us haven't read all the FH books either. :x


Really? But I thought you had all of them? Regardless, you sure know how to quote them well.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18258
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby Freakzilla » 11 Sep 2009 10:08

GamePlayer wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:We were all stupid enough to read TheKJA's books up to a point. Most of us thought they sucked but were hoping for just a shred of true FH info.


Actually, some of us fortuitously escaped ever reading a KJA book :)


Some of us haven't read all the FH books either. :x


Really? But I thought you had all of them? Regardless, you sure know how to quote them well.


:P
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
TheDukester
Posts: 3808
Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
Location: Operation Enduring Bacon
Contact:

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Postby TheDukester » 11 Sep 2009 10:26

Freakzilla wrote:We were all stupid enough to read TheKJA's books up to a point. Most of us thought they sucked but were hoping for just a shred of true FH info.

I've never read a word of his McDune crap, other than that first short story in Road.

My problem came earlier: I had read other stuff by Anderjacket. I didn't loathe him at the time, but I can say that he's safely the least-memorable writer I've ever encountered. Five minutes after finishing something by KJA, you can't remember anything about it. Characters' names, the basic plot, the setting ... it all just starts to fade right away.

It's the main reason I'm confident that he will be utterly forgotten once he retires and/or gets hit by the bear-shaped meteor.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.