Keith vs. "one guy"

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

DuneFishUK

Keith vs. "one guy"

Post by DuneFishUK »

JOIII: Your Dune novels have often been vilified by Frank Herbert purists. As a result, I’m sure you have had a number of irate emails, letters, or blog comments. How do you handle such negative reactions, and what advice do you have for writers who encounter the same?

KJA: Frank Herbert was a genius, one of the most brilliant writers ever to work in science fiction, and Dune is (in my opinion) the greatest SF novel ever. Those are awfully big shoes to fill, and even though Brian and I are putting forth all of our effort to make our novels worthy of the label, it’s not surprising that we can’t meet every reader’s expectations. A bit of a reality check is in order, however. Don’t misconstrue a lot of negative postings to mean there are hordes of angry purists. For example, for Paul of Dune, one guy posted attacking comments to 40 out of 42 five-star reviews on amazon, the same guy attacked 24 out of 24 four-star reviews, the same guy runs a hate site, and the *same guy* maintains a Twitter feed devoted solely to bashing our stuff. And when somebody posts with great vehemence how much they hated book after book after book, how can you take them seriously? Anyone who keeps reading the novels for the sole purpose of attacking them just has an axe to grind and is clearly biased.

In reality, our Dune books have garnered a great deal of critical acclaim, nominated or won many awards, received starred reviews in Publisher’s Weekly, were included on numerous Best of the Year lists, one was named as a New York Times notable book, another was picked as the Favorite Book of the Year by the members of the Science Fiction Book Club by the largest margin in the history of the award. We have received thousands of fan letters since we’ve begun writing them, and we get 24 positive letters for every negative one—I can live with a 96% approval rating.

My advice to other writers who face similar situations (and many of them have spoken to me) is not to let a couple of sour notes detract from the vast majority of satisfied readers.
Full interview @ http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com ... g&id=31745" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
trang

Re: Keith vs. "one guy"

Post by trang »

VIVA LA Chig!!!
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Posted a comment there - something that has bothered me for a long time.
You know, I have heard an awful lot of this author's take on character, plot setting and all the other traditional mainstream critical points, but despite all the interviews I have read I have yet to hear him talk about SF influence in his books, or, more importantly, how he approaches SF themes. I even asked him and Brian Herbert questions about both of these issues at two different stopps on the PoD tour, and they kind of blew the questions off and went back into salesman mode. I cant fault them for that too much, since it was a promotional tour, but I would really like to hear what Anderson and Herbert both have to say about more SF oriented things, like influences and themes. Until I hear that I cant consider them real SF authors (saying that despite the fact that I cannot stand their Dune works) - but still it would be nice to hear something about SF stuff. Its like they sell these books as romances, not SF.
Edit: BTW, I think its interesting that KJA is talking more about Chig these days.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

and did anyone notice how he kept saying: one guy did this, one guy did that, one guy has....

but at the end of the quote provide KJA's advice was:
....not to let a couple of sour notes detract from the vast majority of satisfied readers.
so is it one guy or a couple?
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

it is a horde of angry purists

:evil: :mad: :mad: :o :twisted: :( :mad: :x :cry: :mad: :mad: :twisted: :roll:

sounds like TheKeith has a sandchigger under his skin.

scratch, monkey, scratch ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

ALL HAIL SANDCHIGGER!!!!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Damn ... you mean I missed two five-star reviews on Amazon?! :shock:

Be back in a minute! :P

Edit: Hey, TEG!!! Look what I found on the page when I went there!

Isn't that just TOO perfect?! :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

From Comment #5, by David "dizzyjam" James:
And I sure think it would be ironic if the fellow mentioned in the interview that has such a bias against Kevin would show up here and have something to say. Probably wouldn't even notice that he was talked about in the interview.
Since I normally don't frequent the TOR website, if Da Feesh hadn't posted this, he's probably right. :P

But I was happy to tweak his irony bone:
7. "One Guy" (SandChigger)

Well ... for an inveterate name-dropper like Kevin not to mention *me* or my Hairy Ticks of Dune site by name, especially after going on so, is just ... well ... hurtful. And it deprives me of the attention I crave! :D

Or did he mean someone else?!

Wait ... that would mean that there are *two* disgruntled "biased" attention-seeking website-running hater "Talifans" out here, right? OH NO!!!

Yeah, it's always easier to dismiss your critics than to consider the possibility you might not be as good as you think you are.

Btw, John, you do realize that some of Kevin's answers are just regurgitated text from the interview included in the "Extras" section at the end of The Edge of the World, right? ;)
Let's see how long that lasts. ;)
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Omphalos wrote:Posted a comment there - something that has bothered me for a long time.
You know, I have heard an awful lot of this author's take on character, plot setting and all the other traditional mainstream critical points, but despite all the interviews I have read I have yet to hear him talk about SF influence in his books, or, more importantly, how he approaches SF themes. I even asked him and Brian Herbert questions about both of these issues at two different stopps on the PoD tour, and they kind of blew the questions off and went back into salesman mode. I cant fault them for that too much, since it was a promotional tour, but I would really like to hear what Anderson and Herbert both have to say about more SF oriented things, like influences and themes. Until I hear that I cant consider them real SF authors (saying that despite the fact that I cannot stand their Dune works) - but still it would be nice to hear something about SF stuff. Its like they sell these books as romances, not SF.
:lol:

Yeah, i remember one of those story at T(A)U... :)

You should have said fast-food, not romance, you inglorious basterd... :P
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Rakis wrote:You should have said fast-food, not romance, you inglorious basterd... :P
I corrected Tarantino's spelling error.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Kevin doesn't write SF if by that you mean "Science Fiction". He writes Science Fantasy.

As for the setting of this new fantasy, it's late medieval southern Europe ("Tierra" = Spanish) and Muslim Africa ("Uraba" < Arabia?) cooked à la Shake 'n Bake and lightly rewarmed before serving. There's a "Middlesea" = Mediterranean to the east and an "Oceansea" to the west. The capital of Tierra is "Calay" (< Calais?) and there's an "Iboria" peninsula (< Iberia = Spain?) and a group of "Soeland" (< Shetland) islands, one of the main products of which is gull guano.

There's a silly mythology about a father god ("Ondun", maybe < Chinese Hundun?) with three sons, two of whose descendents/followers become the two religious factions that stand in this thing for Christianity and Islam. The character names are a mishmash of the straight European (e.g., Mateo, Tomas), the slightly morphed (Omra < Omar?), and those actually created by KJA. I'm not sure what he thought to accomplish with the addition of things like "Terravitae" (Latin for "Land of Life" ... think aqua vitae ... or maybe Aqua Velva? :P ). If there were no Romans in the history of his world, why the Latin and Spanish? :roll:

I've also already found one scene reminiscent of the "Gilbertus' bum" bit in the Dune Legends, and an incident which was obviously inspired in part by the skeleton soldiers from Jason and the Argonauts (1963). ;)

Yet ANOTHER delicious poo-poo platter from the fecund fecal imagination of our GREATEST LIVING HACK!!! :D
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

I've also already found one scene reminiscent of the "Gilbertus' bum" bit in the Dune Legends
Not another man-to-man...er...crossdressingbot-to-man shower scene? :roll:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Kevin doesn't write SF if by that you mean "Science Fiction". He writes Science Fantasy.
Actually, its not science fantasy that he writes either. Its scientific romance.

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Scientific romance. That's like labeling Keith's "creative work" as paint-by-number. Highly appropriate :)

I must say, I'm jealous of SC's infamy. All my many photoshops and Kieth can't even muster a kiss blown my way. :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

A sour note from another "sour note"? :P
[W]hen somebody posts with great vehemence how much they hated book after book after book, how can you take them seriously?
Think he realizes that he needs to first answer his own question?

I mean, he takes ... whoever he's talking about ... seriously enough to go on about it, no? ;)

Tool.
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

SandChigger wrote:Damn ... you mean I missed two five-star reviews on Amazon?! :shock:

Be back in a minute! :P

Edit: Hey, TEG!!! Look what I found on the page when I went there!

Isn't that just TOO perfect?! :lol:
Hehe... :D

The dark background seems to be covering more of his "missing" hair.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

ZING!!! :lol:

Yeah, he's getting a lot of mileage out of that old head shot, isn't he? It's on the back cover of Terruh Incogitant: The Wedgie of the Oiled, too. :D

Whoa, HANG ON, KEVIN! IT'S A BUCKING BRONCO! A ROLLERCOASTER RIDE FROM HELLLLLLLLLLLLL! :angry-screaming:

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #61,513 in Books > #88,123 > #35,364. Whoo-hooooooo! :P
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I find it significant that this was even an interview question.

Great press!
Big cookie for The Bug:

:cookie sm:

Long live the fighters!
SandChigger wrote:...inveterate...
I learned a new word! :)
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

What makes me ill is that the interviewer asks how he handles the numerous complains from purist as if it is common knowledge and Keith only shrugs it off as just being SC's hate-mania. He can't just say he understand how purists could disagree with some of the "creative liberties" he's taken and tell us how he cries naked balled up in the fetal position on the bathroom tile at night.

:puke:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I bet all those gushy posts were made by Kevie's special forces.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I left a comment as well. I wonder if we're all just different SandChigger accounts.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, I've always thought so. :shock:

But then, I'm psychotic.

According to Shawn Gordon, President of ProgRock Records, at least. :shock:

THAT'S RIGHT! USUL, WE HAVE NEW PRIMA-DONNA SIGN!!! :laughing:
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

SandChigger wrote:Well, I've always thought so. :shock:

But then, I'm psychotic.

According to Shawn Gordon, President of ProgRock Records, at least. :shock:

THAT'S RIGHT! USUL, WE HAVE NEW PRIMA-DONNA SIGN!!! :laughing:
:doh: :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:According to Shawn Gordon, President of ProgRock Records, at least.
I'm rarely speechless, but ...

I guess I'm just continually amazed by the inability of people who should know better to remain above the fray. What did that fucking douchebag hope to gain by going on the attack? On a random blog, no less? And this clown is in charge of something?

New mission in life: bad-mouth his company and every one of their artists, every chance I get.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Actually, it just occurred to me that this could be a KJASF ruse. I didn't email him to make sure it's really him. Think I should? :?

Add: Of course, he may have come to his senses and deny it all. Hmmm. If it's not really him, I'll eventually hear about it and be asked to remove it.

Or not. ;)