I found this presentation

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Nebiros

I found this presentation

Post by Nebiros »

I found this lecture Brian and Kevin did for Google last year about Paul of Dune. I'm going to assume you all have seen it. But when you hear them speak, I'm sure many here have things to say about this lecture and I'd love to read your remarks on it.

I apologize if a link to this has already been posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGI65dG8isk
GamePlayer
70mm God

Re: I found this presentation

Post by GamePlayer »

I've never seen this. I love the large number of empty seats :lol:

I've had courses in accounting that were more inspired and "exciting" than this presentation. I can literally feel the lack of creativity radiating from this video.

The voices were about what I expected and with all honesty they don't really sounds so terrible as to mock incessantly. Perhaps if they had a Bale lisp, but alas :) I will say, the relationship between the two is very apparent. However, they don't feel as butch/slave as typically thought. They both sound like very submissive, naive people but Brian is just the more passive of the two.

I like the "magical finding" quote in regards to the notes. Yes, quite "convenient" it was, [puts on glasses and goes monotone] Mr. Anderson. :)

And did they just admit that they use fan suggestions as ideas for the books? Wow, that really explains why the books are basically fan fiction. Mystery solved! :laughing:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

And did they just admit that they use fan suggestions as ideas for the books? Wow, that really explains why the books are basically fan fiction. Mystery solved! :laughing:
That would explained the total fuckup that is Erasmus... :)
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I'm afraid I got bored really quickly; I mean after about 7-8 minutes. The only thing that stood out to me was that Kevin was doing all the talking, and Brian stood in the background quietly. Apparently this is common?
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I cant open this up at work. Is this the one from University Books in Seattle?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Video description:
Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson visit Google's Mountain View, CA headquarters to discuss their book "Paul of Dune." This event took place on September 22, 2008, as part of the Authors@Google series.

Frank Herbert's Dune ended with Paul Muad'Dib in control of the planet Dune. Herbert's next Dune book, Dune Messiah, picked up the story several years later after Pauls armies had conquered the galaxy. But what happened between Dune and Dune Messiah? How did Paul create his empire and become the Messiah? Following in the footsteps of Frank Herbert, New York Times bestselling authors Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson are answering these questions in Paul of Dune.

Brian Herbert has been nominated for both the Hugo and the Nebula Awards. In 2003, he published Dreamer of Dune, a Hugo Award-nominated biography of his father. Kevin J. Anderson has been nominated for the Nebula Award, the Bram Stoker Award, and the SFX Reader's Choice Award. He set the Guinness-certified world record for the largest single-author book signing.
Tells you where they are but I don't know if that helps.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Is this the one where they legitimatise GHM being Jessica's mother by saying it was in FH's notes...

...Notes which they discovered after they had written the book....

Great minds think alike.... fuckers. :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Kevin talking about Brian: "Brian is my fact checker."

Explains a lot that.

Rob
Schu

Post by Schu »

SadisticCynic wrote:He set the Guinness-certified world record for the largest single-author book signing.
I've always found it pretty funny that KJA is the guinness world champion attention whore.
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

You can't load the video at work? Well when you have time, find a computer where you can. Perhaps an Internet cafe. Just a suggestion.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Did he call swordmasters and suk doctors Great Schools? :snooty:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

It's a shame comments are dissabled.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I watched it at home last night. Id seen it before.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Watching it now, between vommits... :puke:

I think KJA could belive he's the fan he thinks he is, I just don't think he gets it. I read Dune at 13 and knew immediately this was seriously deep shit and hoped I'd never tire of trying to understand it. Saying he read it first at 11 and apprectiated the action but didn't realize the political drama that was going on until reading it again in college made that clear to me. There wasn't that much action in Dune, the characters were bad asses because of the way FH built them. Also, the only cliffhanger at the end of CH:D was who Marty and Daniel were and what they might do, but the rest of the story seemed complete. What he did with them in the sequels was a clear sign of that too.

:puke:

KJA was going to send FH a copy of KJAs first published novel? :puke:

This guy's ego knows no bounds.

I'd like to know what "quite well known" writters were passed up for Keith. :puke:

I'm not sure if I can take all of this...

:hand:
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Nebiros wrote:You can't load the video at work? Well when you have time, find a computer where you can. Perhaps an Internet cafe. Just a suggestion.
Holy Shit, that's a great idea! I usually just end up PM'ing people who post the videos and ask them what it was about. If I went to the internet cafe then I can drink some iced coffee as well. Thank God for laptops!

:auto-camptrailer:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:shock:

[speechless awe]
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't think it's legal to drive those campers with people in them.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Freakzilla wrote:I don't think it's legal to drive those campers with people in them.
...but WAY more fun... :dance:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Poor Nebbish. Tries to be helpful in his typical innocent rube-like manner and gets jumped all over. What have we come to, oh my board-mates?

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Neb, I appreciated you posting the video, even though it made me barf. :)
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Poor Nebbish. Tries to be helpful in his typical innocent rube-like manner and gets jumped all over. What have we come to, oh my board-mates?
enlightenment?
...business as usual ? :)
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Omphalos wrote:Poor Nebbish. Tries to be helpful in his typical innocent rube-like manner and gets jumped all over. What have we come to, oh my board-mates?
I've been told this board is operating from the position that we're all assholes. :lol:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

I don't feel jumped all over.

Again I posted the link to the video because I wanted to read your responses to things Kevin and Brian say.

Or just to make fun of frivilous things like what they are wearing, the tea Kevin is drinking or the remark on the Google Buffe and of course the empty seats.

I don't think Brian just stood in the background quietly. Both spent equal amount of time talking, it's just that Brian is more passive and Kevin the more assertive one.

While I don't fall asleep or vomit watching this video, I observe to see Brian's weak willed personality and Kevin's arrogance to confirm what everyone here already knows.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:
I've been told this board is operating from the position that we're all assholes. :lol:
I challenge you to find me a board full of people who aren't assholes. It can't be done.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

You could just choose one where nobody posts, regardless of the memberlist. A few recent ones come to mind... :)