Dune 7: House of Brundurs

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Redstar

Post by Redstar »

SandChigger wrote:
Redstar wrote:God I hate that name.
Why? It's just Earth in Latin. Or Portuguese, as Lisan has pointed out.

It forms a perfectly usable adjective (Terran; don't ask me where FH got his ridiculous "Terranic" :roll: ), which you can't claim for English Earth. (Earther? Fuck that.)

I actually prefer Terra, Luna and Sol.

To each his own. :)
I hate it because it's so true. If we were smart we'd follow the tradition we've already set with naming (most) all other planetary bodies with Roman names, but for some reason we didn't. Understandably naming Earth such would be even more ethnocentric than it already is with the other planets, but it makes sense.

That's why I hate it. It seems most authors feel they have to "make it right", and so refer to the planet as "Terra", its people as "Terrans", and the government as the "Terran [ ]" It annoys me in how much it makes sense, and for that reason I think it shouldn't be a matter of debate.

I have my main character in one of my short stories bitching about it, explaining that the only reason Earth-born humans call themselves "Terrans" is because they're jealous of the colonists getting "grand names" like "Martians" and "Venusians." (Which I'm sure might actually happen) She ends the little mental rant by saying she personally prefers Gaia, just because it's not the usual choice.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

So Gaia, Selene, and Helios.

Don't resonate the same way, do they? ;)

Gaia reminds me too much of tree-huggin' Grünen. Or animé based on computer games. ("But where is the seventh spirit, Doctor?!")

Nah. :roll:

Wait until everything's named in Chinese. Then you can biotch about ethnocentric.

(But only in your mind, not out loud. ;) )
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I could care less, anyhow. I should be long-dead before anyone gets off their asses and forms colonies; even the moon (Luna :roll:) is a long-shot. The story I mentioned is really the only one I've wrote/will write that brings up the subject. Otherwise I just ignore it and everyone is just "human".

Gaia is a bit over-the-top, but I have a personal (relationship) reason for liking it.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandChigger wrote:As for people having relics like natural objects (conch shells) and cultural artefacts (van Gogh paintings),
Ah, but that painting was a copy done by Erasmus. Not the original.

(Ducks as Chig throws something at me).

HBJ
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandChigger wrote:So Gaia, Selene, and Helios.

Don't resonate the same way, do they? ;)

Gaia reminds me too much of tree-huggin' Grünen. Or animé based on computer games. ("But where is the seventh spirit, Doctor?!")

Nah. :roll:

Wait until everything's named in Chinese. Then you can biotch about ethnocentric.

(But only in your mind, not out loud. ;) )
What do they call Earth in Cantonese or Mandarin?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I don't know for Cantonese, but I believe the Mandarin is Diqiu (approx. like "Dee-choh"), written with the same characters the Japanese use ("Earth-Ball") and pronounce Chikyuu.

Earthlings/Terrans would be Diqiuren (Earth-Ball-Person).

How's that for opaque? :roll:

(Erasmus? Who dat?)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Hunchback Jack wrote:
SandChigger wrote:As for people having relics like natural objects (conch shells) and cultural artefacts (van Gogh paintings),
Ah, but that painting was a copy done by Erasmus. Not the original.

(Ducks as Chig throws something at me).

HBJ
Now that I've brought it up, I'm sure it will be revealed in subsequnet book that Paul's conch shell was excreeted by Omnius.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

does not matter if earth was lost or found, it is not relavent in Dune
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

^^^Could you not have said that like 3 pages ago and saved me the bother of reading, it's a contextual discussion for sure, no?