The Book of Leto?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

The Book of Leto?

Post by SandChigger »

Was poking around looking for Kwisatz Haderach quotes and came across this epigraph attribution in Children of Dune:

The Book of Leto, After Harq al-Ada

There hasn't yet been any definite statement about changing the title of the fourth "Heroes" volume, Leto of Dune, but this might be one possibility if they're at all interested in keeping it close to the originally announced title (probably not a consideration judging from Winds and Throne) or keeping a modicum of symmetry by having the names of the two main characters of the Dune series in the titles of the first and last books.

I like it because Harq al-Ada is my second choice for the in-universe author of the book, the first of course being that far future historian (and doubter!) of Leto II and his times, Gaus Andaud. (=THE perfect choice for two hacks who want to discredit the God Emperor and his Golden Path.)

Of course, this is all predicated on the (highly dubious) assumption that either of them has actually read Children of Dune.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Stop brainstorming for them! :P

I just look forward to their grossly erroneous version of the Leto II character. No one can do Leto II, except Frank himself.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Drunken Idaho wrote:Stop brainstorming for them! :P

I just look forward to their grossly erroneous version of the Leto II character. No one can do Leto II, except Frank himself.
...except maybe orald. :lol:

I keed, I keed!
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh come on, orald would do anyone he could. :P

DI: You've forgotten the Master Plan: Post every idea we possibly can well before they begin "writing" (or even "brainstorming") so they will avoid them to keep us from claiming they stole them from us. :P

(Edit: It's pretty much too late to do this for Jessica's Wind, but Throne of Thunder and Letotard are still wide open. ;) )
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Thinking about it, I might read their attempt at Leto, it should be a good fucking laugh.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

chanilover wrote:Thinking about it, I might read their attempt at Leto, it should be a good fucking laugh.
I'm waiting for the inevitable Leto II/Ghanima sexual relationship. Well worth the read.
Schu

Post by Schu »

Where'd that guy go that wrote fanfic with Ghanima doing naughty things to her wormy brother?
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Schu wrote:Where'd that guy go that wrote fanfic with Ghanima doing naughty things to her wormy brother?
We're working on the sequel.
Leto

Re: The Book of Leto?

Post by Leto »

You didn't understand Sand! :Adolf:
The book of Leto as the Book of the Voices (by Ghanima) or the Harq al-Ada Book will be the content of their next Chronicles, which will take place between CoD and GEoD.
After them, you'll find Duncan of Dune, a serie of Gholas (or Beaty & the Ghola and Teg War's Chronicles) between GEoD and HoD.
Hopfully, its impossible to write something more betwenn the two last books... :lol:

We use 2 terms in french to talk about the preaks : préquelles ("Legends of Dune" and "Houses of Dune" --> I'm not sure for the original title of it, but you see what I mean) and séquelles ("After Dune" and the current "People of Dune").

Séquelles have an other meaning in french : (medical) aftereffect... french is a so rich language :dance:
If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets
Gurney Halleck
KJA ? Keep Just Away?
Filo
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Leto wrote:Hopfully, its impossible to write something more betwenn the two last books... :lol:
It is dangerous to underestimate the tackiness of the hacks, there's about six years between HoD and CH:D, I can't remember exactly how old the Teg ghola is at the begining of CH:D.

They can fit three books in there, easy.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Freakzilla wrote:
Leto wrote:Hopfully, its impossible to write something more betwenn the two last books... :lol:
It is dangerous to underestimate the tackiness of the hacks, there's about six years between HoD and CH:D, I can't remember exactly how old the Teg ghola is at the begining of CH:D.

They can fit three books in there, easy.
I think Teg-ghola is 10 or 11 years old...

I say ten books, because of all of those flashbacks linking them to the other new books they have sell... :roll:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Yeah, I wouldn't underestimate the ability of the hacks to carry a "cool idea" through to a published novel what most would dismiss as a lame afterthought that should have remained as such. All they see is narrative gap and the potential for books. It never occurs to them that they shouldn't "write" books.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

As for their ability to slip 'em in, I seem to remember reading that one of Kevin's later "Saggy Sun" books covered events of just one month or so.

At that rate, he could work in a dodecalogy per year. :(
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

I dont understand why Chigger reads this shit. He hates on tehKJA more then anyone else. But then he tortures himself by reading this shit, keeps up to date on it etc etc. I know for me, I just gave up after the HOUSE books. But Chigger is right in there with Winds of Dune, Paul of Dune all this shit that I would never bother to read the cover of.
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It's a hobby. :P

TehKJA is one of us. TheKJA is the enemy. (See, spelling IS important. ;) )

To know where Kevin fucks up, you have to continually reexamine and explore the originals. It keeps you on your toes.

Complacency is boring. :P
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

It's become a life of it's own now. I think for some, the temptation to ridicule KJA and psychologically analyze his many failings is just too great to miss anything he writes. Even I've had fun playing therapist with a KJA interview, but I get more than enough entertainment value from KJA in small doses :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Talos

Post by Talos »

Hi guys! I've been lurking here for a few weeks and thought I'd finally join in the discussion.
SandChigger wrote:I like it because Harq al-Ada is my second choice for the in-universe author of the book, the first of course being that far future historian (and doubter!) of Leto II and his times, Gaus Andaud. (=THE perfect choice for two hacks who want to discredit the God Emperor and his Golden Path.)
I was under the impression that the "New" Dune books were the REAL canon and were being told to us by an omniscient observer while those pesky "other" Dune books were works of propaganda -and often downright fiction- written by an in-universe character(s).

While I do prefer (actually I don't prefer any of it, but when in Rome...) the idea of Harq al-Ada writing Children and Gaus Andaud writing the last three, my money is on all six of the original being written by Irulan! You see she wrote GEoD, HoD, and CH:D as complete works of fiction while she was hiking across the desert (presumably because that's where Leto exiled the horny princess to after she kept trying to jump his bone.) Then Leto liked the books so much he had them published claiming his prescience told him this would happen. He did this so the people would rally behind him and support his tyrannical rule during the difficult early years of his reign. Of course none of that silly drivel that Frank Herbert wrote actually happened! That was just a make believe story for gullible fools. Now thankfully we have Kevin and Brian to set us straight and show us what REALLY happened! :puke:

It makes perfect sense! This would give them complete freedom to do whatever they want with the Duniverse and trample all over Franks legacy. :tissue2:
Scientists seek the lawfulness of events. It is the task of Religion to fit man into this lawfulness.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Was starting to wonder if you were ever going to come out of lurking. :P

I get what you're saying (New books = REAL canon/[quasi-?]omniscient narrator), and I think it would work for the House books and "Dune 7" sequels. The Legends are a bit of a problem, though, because they start out with that damning "Princess Irulan writes...." (I kinda wonder if that's when Kevin first had the idea of taking Irulan wrote it/"Paul born on Kaitain" thing to its ultimate ugly conclusion.) Also, Paul of Dune contains an epigraph attributed to a Paul of Dune book by Irulan ... so I don't know where the hell that leaves us.

Anyway, she was a horny old broad by the time Leto ran her off, and probably getting pretty pissy as she watched his manpiggie slowly disappear into a santrout biscuit blankey and realized she was never going to get an Atreides to get her with child.

Kevin and the other guy ... a million paper cuts on their genitals would not be enough! :twisted:

Welcome! :lol:
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

2 million? :D
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I doubt Irulan was horny.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Why's that? :)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandChigger wrote:Why's that? :)
A bit of a tightass and no Other memory to know what fun was...
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Why's that? :)
Paul only denied her a child, not sex (with other people). She was beautiful and BG trained, I'm sure she had no problem gettin' some action.
~Pink Snowman
indyman911

Post by indyman911 »

Had a couple of days off and went digging on KJA's site. The only reference to Leto was a post that said, "When you did the book signing in Dayton, OH and you gave a brief summary of Leto of Dune, it sounded tragic and sad...And as morbid as it sounds I'm eager to read about his struggles with losing his physical humanity as well as spiritual humanity. The only other interesting thing on there was that someone asked Kev if he had any plans to do any more sequals to other Frank books. He said he didn't have the time with all his other projects but that they did have a contract for the next five years to put out more dune sh..I mean books. He said if he had his choice it would be the Hellstorm.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, it looks like "Leto lost his humanity = was an inhuman monster" is going to be the major theme for this one.

They don't get it at all. :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"