What is the worst McDune yet?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Another thing that got me about PoD is that fact that they just had to revisit the House era books (or get close to them) with young Paul. This gave them the even more opportunity to make shit up that is completely inconsistent with canon - not even mentioned, alluded to, hinted at, pondered over, or even though of....not only did they have to send Paul to on a trip to (where was that again? Grumman? Ginaz?..oh who cares) but they also had to add the prospect of Duke Leto getting married to some other broad?

Oh, lets not forget the suspense of the wedding where the potted plants turn into throwing star launchers............what a laugh riot! I thought I was reading sci fi, not comedy. I mean, I laughed out loud over the shear ridiculous implausibility of the whole thing. The potted plant throwing star assassin machines are right up there with Norma Cenva, telekinetic psychic explosive chics, Hecate (the robot dragon), flesh cookies, spice hidden in icebergs, Tyros Reffa, useless fire gem incidents on boats, and the Baron's etiquette lessons.....did I forget anything? Oh yeah, the entire House Trilogy, the entire Legends Trilogy, Dune 7, and whatever the hell else these fart huffing corn-balls will come up with next. :crazy:

:puke:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Unfront wrote:Norma Cenva [and] telekinetic psychic explosive chics
The Normacle and bimbombs. That's what I like to call them. :D

What I loved most about the wedding scene in PoD was at the end: RHOMBUR SMASH! RHOMBUR CRASH!!! Eeek! Cyborg running amok in the ceremony hall!

And yet none of these people seemed the least bit bothered by that or had violent racial memory flashbacks to the Great Revolt 100 centuries earlier.

Yeah, right. "It's not his brain that's mechanical. Just his balls and pistotronic penis. So he doesn't violate the injunction. Just me." (quote from Mrs Rhomboid. What was her name again? Jizzia?) :roll:

Having Bronso of Ix be Rhombur Room's son was the low point for me. :vomit:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I would say "Sandworms", as it pushed me past bored and irritated and into the realm of anger and fury. It was screwed up in so many different ways. Bad, bad, bad.

But then, I haven't read PoD, so that may be worse.

I fear, though, that we have yet to see the worst novel from them. Be afraid.

HBJ
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

that is a tough question...but i think hands down Sandworms of Dune is by far the worst piece of shit yet (of course i bought Paul of Dune a couple weeks after it came out and i havent read more than 3 chapters in the months i've had it). I've never been so disqusted with a book as a was with sandworms. God..now im scared to try to finish Paul of Dune...could it be worse...i doubt it..but im sure it will fight hard as hell to compete
Last edited by Tyrant on 11 Mar 2009 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Tyrant wrote:that is a tough question...but i think hands down Sandworms of Dune is by far the worst piece of shit yet (of course i bought Paul of Dune a couple weeks after it came out and i havent read more than 3 chapters in the months i've had it). I've never been so disqusted with a book as a was with sandworms. God..now im scared to try to finish Paul of Dune
you mean, you paid with real money and everything?

Talk about money to burn. Burning the money might have been a better investment.
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

SwordMaster wrote:
Tyrant wrote:that is a tough question...but i think hands down Sandworms of Dune is by far the worst piece of shit yet (of course i bought Paul of Dune a couple weeks after it came out and i havent read more than 3 chapters in the months i've had it). I've never been so disqusted with a book as a was with sandworms. God..now im scared to try to finish Paul of Dune

Talk about money to burn. Burning the money might have been a better investment.
I must know what is being done to my Dune, i cant help it
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

SwordMaster wrote:

Investing in the stock market may have been a better investment. :D
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Tyrant wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:

I must know what is being done to my Dune, i cant help it
like watching a car accident
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

trang wrote:Hands down POD was the worst book.WHY??

2. The sadistic nature and just ridiculas knocking off of characters was
at an all time high.

4. BAD WRITING... AND BADLY IN NEED OF AN EDIT.
The bad writing and editing and the sadistic killings are present in all of their books. PoD is no exception. A McDune book without cruel killings is no McDune book. Remember the mindless slaughter of those 8 ghola's in Hunters? :shock:
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

dunaddict wrote:
trang wrote:Hands down POD was the worst book.WHY??

2. The sadistic nature and just ridiculas knocking off of characters was
at an all time high.

4. BAD WRITING... AND BADLY IN NEED OF AN EDIT.
The bad writing and editing and the sadistic killings are present in all of their books. PoD is no exception. A McDune book without cruel killings is no McDune book. Remember the mindless slaughter of those 8 ghola's in Hunters? :shock:
Why so much kills?
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Well, in PoD they had to return the universe back to the way it was at the start of Dune Messiah.

It's like a sitcom. No matter what happens, everything returns to normal by the end of the episode.

HBJ
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Well, in PoD they had to return the universe back to the way it was at the start of Dune Messiah.

It's like a sitcom. No matter what happens, everything returns to normal by the end of the episode.

HBJ
what a joke, and every chapter starts with a review of the previous one too Im sure
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

SandChigger wrote:What I loved most about the wedding scene in PoD was at the end: RHOMBUR SMASH! RHOMBUR CRASH!!! Eeek! Cyborg running amok in the ceremony hall!
Say what you like about nu-dune - but Rhombur is fucking quality. :D Easily the best part of PoD. Hands down.

From what I've read of them so far House Corrino was probably the worst from a writing quality perspective. PoD is worst from the shitting-all-over-FH perspective.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

The thing that makes it hard to choose between Sandworms and PoD is that Sandworms has to revisit the Legends series...thus making it a blend between Hunters and Battle of Corrin with that lame plauge plot line. Did'nt they defeat the plauge in BoC?
On the other hand, PoD has to go back to the House series...(see earlier post)....

Oh, and for those of you that only managed to get about one or two pages into PoD....Fear Not! It does get worse, worser, and worstest! Look for Potted Plant-Throwing Star-Assasin Machine-Thingamagigers!!!! Trust me, you will laugh.
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Tally So Far:

Battle of Corrin clocking in at Bronze...
House Corrino is in the silver spot

Photo finish between Sandworms of Dune and Paul of Dune with Paul taking a slight lead. We may have to award a double fools gold meddle for these two books.
Schu

Post by Schu »

Unfront wrote:fools gold
One could say it was a pyritic *ahem* pyrrhic victory? Eh?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

No.

Well, yes, one could. But people would smack you repeatedly about the head and spit on your nose if you did. :evil:
Schu

Post by Schu »

Dammit, I was going for the "so bad it's good" angle. Was it so bad it went back to bad again?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nah, not really.

I was just getting into imagining smacking you repeatedly about the head and spitting on your nose. :P
Schu

Post by Schu »

Well, I mean if that's what you're into, I'm sure there's someone out there that would be up for it... but not me :P
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

Paul of Dune was pretty damn pointless, but I think Sandworms of Dune has been the worst McDune novel to-date. Poorly written and poorly plotted.
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Another thing about Sandworms is that for being the "Grand Climax" representing...oh, how did they say it?....Kralizec, Arefel, The battle at the end of the universe, the end times.... or what ever......there was never any real battle in it. No final destructio of the enemy...just a truce. How lame.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Unfront wrote:...oh, how did they say it?....Kralizec, Arefel, The battle at the end of the universe, the end times.... or what ever......
Kralizec = Battle at the end of the universe.

Arafel = The cloud darkness of holy judgement.

According to FH Kralizec was The Famine Times after Leto's death and before the worms came back:

"The Guild will barely make it through the lean years, and only then because
of its stockpiles and ours," Ghanima said. "But there'll be abundance after
Kralizec. The worms will return after my brother goes into the sand."

~CoD
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

See what happens when supposed authors don't read the previous books in the franchise they're "extending"? :roll:

(What is reading again? :P )
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

SandChigger wrote:See what happens when supposed authors don't read the previous books in the franchise they're "extending"? :roll:

(What is reading again? :P )
lol

I hate the fact the phrase "According to FH" even exists!

bah