What is the worst McDune yet?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Unfront

What is the worst McDune yet?

Post by Unfront »

Ok, this may have been discussed before - (please excuse me because I finished Paul of Dune several months ago and I just finished dry heaving).

Anyway, what, in your opinion is the worst McDune book yet? (I tried to make a poll, but the server told me that I had too many poll options and would not let me do it? (Personally I do not think that the server had the capability to calculate such LOW numbers)....

At either rate, All of the Kev and Bri Bri books are up for nomination, or you can choose all of the above (hey no discrimination here, they are all equally worthless.

or,

none of the above
, (I am stil thinking that Pinky and the Brain are trying to take this thing to CRUSH DEPTH!!!)
Last edited by Unfront on 07 Mar 2009 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Every single book of theirs is unworthy of any nomination, for better or worse.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

worst technically, plot-wise, or by heinousness of the crime they are doing to Dune? rated by most time wasted? brain cells killed, broken down by age category, level of initial intelligence and percentage of fanboyishness?

can you truly rate something like that?
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Ampoliros wrote:worst technically, plot-wise, or by heinousness of the crime they are doing to Dune? rated by most time wasted? brain cells killed, broken down by age category, level of initial intelligence and percentage of fanboyishness?

can you truly rate something like that?

Yeah, you have great points here. This pole is not measuring the BEST, because that simply does not apply. Perhaps we need separate discussion for each novel because the level of ineptitude never ceases to amaze me.

Personally, I am between: "they are all equally worthless" and "We aint seen nothing yet." (With PoS..I mean PoD, explaining away all inconsistencies by blaming Irrulan and downgrading the original work to "in-universe texts" is simply vomit inducing. CRUSH DEPTH here we come baby! Wheeeeeeeee!!!!)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You raise a very scary possibility there: "We ain't seen nothing yet."

Kevin thinks that he has successfully demoted all of Frank Herbert's works to potentially erroneous in-universe texts and no doubt believes that he now has a free hand to hike whatever he pleases. As sales continue to fall (as we believe they must), he may be driven to ever more intense fits of creative idiocy. It boggles the imagination what he might come up with when backed into a corner.... :shock:

Btw, just a note on nomenclature:

BriBri is Brian Herbert.
ByrByr is Byron Merritt (pronounced "BeerBeer")
BryBry is a noisy Canadian here. :P

Edit: Sorry, I just realized that "noisy" adds exactly zero semantic content to "Canadian". He's the one with the exploding/burning book avatar. ;)
Schu

Post by Schu »

House Corrino did it for me. God that was disgusting to read.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Baraka Bryan wrote:i hate you
I imagine I'll live. ;)

I have been (and probably currently am) hated by much more virulent Canucks—both in real life and virtually, compared to whom you're a cuddly little pussy cat.

Sorry to burst the BryBry balloon! :P
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Schu wrote:House Corrino did it for me. God that was disgusting to read.
Yeah, Corrino was pretty childish....I mean...where did they come up with a name like "Tyros Reffe", I think Kev got down on his knees and pulled it out of Bri Bri's butt.

I think I should start a thread of the most stupid McDune names ever.

(I corrected the first post to reflect the correct Bri - apologies to the gent from Canada!)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Oh, for the love of Dur don't apologize to him! You'll never hear the end of it! :P )

I realize that I didn't properly answer your question above. "All of the above" is my gut response, but I'm going to go with Pall of Dumb for the time being, reserving the right to change once Queefs of Dumb comes out. ;)
Schu

Post by Schu »

Actually Sandworms was pretty awful to get through too, much much worse than Hunters, which looked almost relatively promising. Relatively to KJA and BH though, which isn't saying much.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Sandworms. I actually thought Hunters was a step up from the Legends series in writing style if nothing else, but Sandworms was so far beyond the shit I was expecting that it actually made me a little ill.
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Yeah, there is a lot of LAME to go around in the new books with "Dune" in the title. But each book, has its own charming pile of steamy dung in it somewhere. But PoD was just simply over the top at every turn. I mean..come on...the "Swarm of Hunter Seakers" scene was trying way too hard. I like how it has an almost TV show style sequencing complete with a "Commercial Break" to another chapter as soon as they shoot out of Bludd's ass. Oh the suspense!!!!!
Last edited by Unfront on 08 Mar 2009 03:57, edited 1 time in total.
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

The thing about Sandworms for me is...that for being the "Grand Finale" it just plods along and goes nowhere.
Unfront

Fanboy alert!

Post by Unfront »

Ok, since I am now reminded of Sandworms I thought I would pass along this link to a complete Fanboy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d87cZoCzm2M

Enjoy~
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, Davesghola. Another dweller in the Great Colon-nade of Kevin's buttoms.

Go back all the way to the first page of comments, one year ago. ;)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

The one hand: they're all equally worthless, as every book Hacky and The Other Guy write is nothing but a shallow cash-grab.

On the other hand: I'd have to vote for the entire "Dune 7" debacle. I mean, seriously: they couldn't even keep their story straight on where the notes came from, how many notes there actually were, etc. And for those two idiots to think they had one-tenth of the talent required to extend FH's vision is just completely insulting.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Schu wrote:House Corrino did it for me. God that was disgusting to read.
another thing about House Corrino is that it has an almost Return of the Jedi like Ewok "Nub Nub" ending with the Sandworm dance type thing at the end....what ever the hell that was? :roll: :puke:

You know, unfortunately this crap cannot be scrubbed from my memory. It is permanently seared into my brain...that is just how horrible it all is. I do not know why I did that to myself. Kul Wahad! Where is my copy of God Emperor of Dune when I need some clarity?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't like to think about which one was more nausseating than the rest but I just couldn't continue after Hunters.

:puke:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I'll say Hunters just because its only purpose was to set up that other piece of shit and they claimed that it was based on FH notes but somehow it seemed even worse.
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

Unfront wrote:the new books with "Dune" in the title
:D It takes some effort referring to these abominations without calling them 'Dune novels'.

I think 'the Battle of Corrin' is the worst McDune novel. Why? Because it was sooo boring. It took me almost a year to finish it. Not a good sign for a series-finale.

Choosing the worst 'plot' is almost impossible, because all 10000 plot-threads in the books go nowhere, end abruptly (Hecate anyone?) or end in unbelievable cliche. Along with the inconsistencies, this is the main reason these books are such a chore to read.
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Ah yes, the Battle of Corrin. Flesh Cookies anyone? can it possibly get any more cornballish than that? Oh, then there is the cheep reason for the Atreides Harkonen split. It is almost as if they wrote the book, sent the manuscript in to the publisher who said, "hey, Kev...what about the feud? Remember we were suppose to have the feud?" and Kev said, "Oh yeah I forgot about that, I'll think of something." Then, by the time Kev returned the draft, they were too close to release time. So the just plugged their nose and went with it.

What is it that the last book of any trilogy that these guys write (Hunters/Sandworms was a trilogy, just add Road to Dune complete with Spiceworld) is just a hot fresh steamy pile of excrement? Does anyone have an explanation?
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Once I read HC I think was the one that had Paul being born randomly on the wrong planet.

But for me, Norma Cenva ruined all hope to enjoy future novels.
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Unfront wrote:
Schu wrote: Yeah, Corrino was pretty childish....I mean...where did they come up with a name like "Tyros Reffe", I think Kev got down on his knees and pulled it out of Bri Bri's butt.
They hacked Babylon 5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antono_Refa
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Ghost wrote:
Unfront wrote:
Schu wrote: Yeah, Corrino was pretty childish....I mean...where did they come up with a name like "Tyros Reffe", I think Kev got down on his knees and pulled it out of Bri Bri's butt.
They hacked Babylon 5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antono_Refa

Whereas the father created much what others drew there inspiration from, Kev and Bri Birseem to draw much of their "inspiration" from current sci fi channel offerings. Regurgitated BSG anyone? WhEEEEEEEEEE! .....not to affront BSG...but it is its own story, I do not want to read of BSG gone Dune as in their version of Dune 7.
trang

Post by trang »

Hands down POD was the worst book they have put out and possibly the worst book I have ever read in my life. Just an utter POS from the get go.

WHY??
1. It was the first of them to wedge or claimed to be wedged into or in
between the originals.

2. The sadistic nature and just ridiculas knocking off of characters was
at an all time high.

3. The Before and After Paul was silly... and did NOTHING for his character pre Emperor and Post emperor. Just Flaming Bullshit.

4. BAD WRITING... AND BADLY IN NEED OF AN EDIT.

5. a book about his Jihad that barely even mentions it in contrast to the rest of the BS in it.

6. Next to ALMIGHTY EMPRESS OF THE KNOWN EVERYTHING NORMA CENVA.... The little psycho creature the Fennrings hatched... Just plane stupid!!!!!!!!

on and on.....

A Pubic hair separates the second worst and that is Sandworms... GOD AWFUL FUCKING BOOK. The Repetitive nature drove me insane along with its a GHOLA HO DOWN!!! YEA FUCKING HAW...among other thousand plot/arcs that were just fucking stupid.

Butthead and Koknoker just suck... plain and simple... SUCK!!!

Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."