Secret of KJA Success

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

cmsahe wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:...
I'll see your Emperor and raise you with a Tom Cruise!

UNLIMITED POWER!!!

:)
O my, this is hilarious!, there you have it! evidence on the evilness of scientology (oh boy I wrote it to a MB, I can expect to get sued any day now...)
Hehehehe :)
The litigious CoS now has your name in a database of offenders. When the day of their dictatorship arises, you'll be held to account :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Angry Dukester! :D

Good post though, I'm guilty of painting with a wide brush myself sometimes. Doesn't hurt to be reminded not to be an idiot. :wink: I also dated a Mormon girl, didn't get engaged though.

Can I say that Mormonism is Christianity X 150 million units of weird? I think that brush is the right size for the job,:wink: there are some beliefs in that religion that really out-crazy Christianity - though I'm sure not all (or even most for all I know) of the modern followers believe those parts.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Even nice people can believe crazy things. Doesn't make the nice ones any less nice, just means they're gullible in certain things. ;)

Less than nice and bad people can believe the same things, but they often twist beliefs to serve their own less than nice or evil purposes.

Mormonism isn't Christianity ... but then even "Christianity" isn't Christianity, it's Paulianity. And Scientology is a scam.

That's pretty much all I need or want to know. :)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Can I say that Mormonism is Christianity X 150 million units of weird?
Oh, there's some nutty beliefs, to be sure. Can I add, for the record, that I personally don't believe a group of goofy angels came down out of the sky and told Joseph Smith where to find some crazy-ass buried tablets made of gold? :wink:

That would have been one problem with marrying the Mormon girl: accepting the Book of Mormon. Interesting reading, but a little much for me. She was hot, though; I almost went through with it.

Good people, overall, if perhaps a bit clannish — in my experience, of course.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

TheDukester wrote:
Redstar wrote:But the atrocity I always remember is the Mountain Meadows Massacre, when an emigrant wagon train was attacked and 120 men, women, and children were killed.
Really? That's the one you "always remember"? So you lifted your description of the events, word for word, from the Wikipedia page? If it means so much to you, you'd think you could come up with your own words to describe it ...

Worse yet, you'll paint an entire religion — and quite a large one, too — based on an event from 150 years ago? Three words for that: complete fucking bullshit.

Do you actually have any experience in Mormon communities? I have quite a bit myself, being in the middle of quite the LDS region (I live not that far north of Genoa, Nev., the site of the oldest Mormon settlement west of Illinois) and having once been engaged to a Mormon girl. Here's what I've found, generally speaking, to be true about Mormons: they are big believers in the importance of family; they are law-and-order people; and they are big on education and faith. In my world, none of these are bad things. About the worst I can say about the LDSers is that I have to shoo a couple of them off my porch once every six or eight weeks when they drop by to talk about the Book of Mormon. Big deal.

Now, am I saying that all LDSers are like this Molly and Norman Mormon picture I'm painting? Of course not. Unlike you, I will not paint with that broad of a brush. As I said above, these have been my general impressions after having spent most of a lifetime in a strong Mormon area and around Mormon families. I'm sure there are Mormons in my area who are, right now, doing less-than-wonderful things, but I'm also sure I can say the same thing about people in any other religious group you can name.

Seriously, you and SwordMaster need to get a fucking grip before you start in with more of your nonsense. You're both coming across like a couple of 12-year-olds with grudges. If you want to discuss religion, or even debate it, that's fine, but do some research and gather some facts (example: the LDS church has officially not sanctioned polygamy since 1890. So the very, very tiny percentage of Mormons who still practice it are part of splinter groups who are operating illegally and without church sanction. These are the types of groups who are profiled in the Krakauer book mentioned above. Great book, I've read it twice, but it represents the beliefs of about one-hundredth of one percent of all Mormons today. Do you guys even get this? Do you understand that no one is more ashamed of these radical idiots than the Mormons themselves?).

So, then: time to do your homework. Maybe come up with something better than a 150-year-old incident the next time you decide to rant about a subject you clearly know very little about. Fair warning: the next time you insult a number of people who I consider good friends (close to family, in some cases) with some weak-ass, childish bullshit, I will go off. I will light you up like the Fourth of July.
The reason I "lifted" word for word from Wikipedia is because I had class to go to, so I didn't want to bother sitting around typing up my own words on something that doesn't require anything more than a direct quote. Not only that, but I provided the link to the Wikipedia page to acknowledge that that's where I took those lines from.

And yes, I'm going to paint the entire religion in that light. I wont go so far as to generalize every follower of that particular faith, but I will say that that religion was formed for nearly the same reasons as Scientology and therefore I do not consider it a true faith. Perfectly respectable and otherwise intelligent people can be gullible or conditioned to believe anything.

I realize that LDS practices have changed from their creation, but that still does not change the fact the it was originally bullshit. You can't just decide to change what "truth" you believe in and expect it to be any more true, especially when the truth you're trying to find is coming from a lie. If anything, the modern LDS church is a splinter group off of "true" Mormanism, and those people out their practicing polygamy are following what was clearly defined by Joseph Smith.

In any case, there is striking evidence against Mormonism. Sure, there's evidence against practically every one of the Judeo-Christian-Arabic derivatives, but those are focused more on faith and metaphor than any established fact. Mormonism, however, claims such things as Native Americans being descendants of Hebrews crossing the ocean. This idea was disproved by a MORMON follower, who was shortly thereafter excommunicated and sued. I seriously will not consider any religion formed by an oversexed pedophile as the true word of any God, unless we really are in a fucked up universe. Not only that, but he was a terrible writer.
Last edited by Redstar on 26 Mar 2009 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Redstar wrote:And yes, I'm going to paint the entire religion in that light.
Then you're nothing more than a moron with a grudge.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

TheDukester wrote:
Redstar wrote:And yes, I'm going to paint the entire religion in that light.
Then you're nothing more than a moron with a grudge.
I also said that I don't judge the people that follow Mormonism, just the religion itself, in the same way that you shouldn't hate the sinner but the sin. Mormonism was a religion based on the teachings of a guy that couldn't decide which version of his story he'd stick to and his Book of Mormon contains many retroactive mistakes and false conclusions based off the original Bible that make the KJA shit seem like poetry.

And no, I do not have a grudge against the religion. Hardly anything anymore can really get me upset, but I will look at the facts and form my opinion to determine whether or not what I'm looking at is in any way truthful. And Mormonism does not look truthful.

I'd like to argue with this, since a good argument is always fun, but if anyone else doesn't like us to do so I'll gladly discontinue my side of the conversation. And I hope this doesn't carry over between us in any other thread.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

What religion actually "looks truthful"? They were all made up by someone.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Mandy wrote:What religion actually "looks truthful"? They were all made up by someone.
Obviously all religions are made up, but I mean "looks truthful" in that it seems like they were "made up" based on faith or mutual benefit rather than personal gain.

I seriously doubt that Siddhartha intended Buddhism to be a capitalist venture, while Scientology clearly is.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

What difference does it make? They're all scams to get your money in the collection plate.

What do Siddhartha's intentions have to do with it? :wink:
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I liked Freak's line from a few weeks ago: isn't it all about having an invisible friend? :)
Schu

Post by Schu »

My invisible friend could kick your invisible friend's ass!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I have an invisible friend who licks mine.
Schu

Post by Schu »

I bet you my invisible friend is hotter than yours.

Oh wait.
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

Mandy wrote:What religion actually "looks truthful"? They were all made up by someone.
I'm Orthodox Herbetarian! :P
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

GamePlayer wrote:
cmsahe wrote:

UNLIMITED POWER!!!

O my, this is hilarious!, there you have it! evidence on the evilness of scientology (oh boy I wrote it to a MB, I can expect to get sued any day now...)
The litigious CoS now has your name in a database of offenders. When the day of their dictatorship arises, you'll be held to account :)
Yikes! :)

----
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

I've just posted this to Sandchigger's blog (it's waiting approval)

It's from an Amazon review to a Lara Croft novel by Mike Resnick:
The reviewer A reviewer cites this paragraph from the Lara Croft (Jakob von Gunten posted the link) novel my Mike Resnick:
——

Here’s my fav paragraph from the book. Page 191.

“She finished her story at about the same time she finished her meal. Oliver signed the check, got up, and walked her to the safari car. A few moments later they were driving through the center of the huge city, past the Kenyatta International Conference Centre, the New Stanley Hotel, the High Court, all the familiar landmarks.”

Geepers, if that’s not Pulitzer winning writing I dunno what is. I love “the safari car”.

SandRider wrote:Who ? Mike Resnick ?

Mike Resnick
Mike Resnick
Mike Resnick

that guy ?

Mike Resnick ?

some kinda fantasy writer, isn't he ?

that Mike Resnick guy ....

----
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I don't think he has come back since the other day, so it's kind of a waste of effort to try and goad him into responding.

I'm not really interested in adding another name to the list of assholes I have to worry about, you know? ;)

His past and future associations with The Hack are no doubt far more punishment than anything I could ever do. :lol:
Schu

Post by Schu »

SandChigger wrote:His past and future associations with The Hack are no doubt far more punishment than anything I could ever do. :lol:
Punishment for him or us or KJA? :P
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

That's for me to know ... and you to live in abject terror. :twisted:
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

SM -> FLAME -> :oops: ouch
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for
people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
-- Noam Chomsky

GamePlayer wrote:
cmsahe wrote:

UNLIMITED POWER!!!

----
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

"If we believe anything Noam Chomsky says or writes,
we'll end up with our heads further up our own asses than his."
—Guess who!

:P
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I thought you might have something to say about that quote, Chig. :)

HBJ
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:D

Right now it's a toss-up as to which I hate more, Chomsky or TheKJA.

Chomsky is the much greater evil, because he has spewed his evil political bile for far longer, and because he essentially turned a scientific discipline into pseudoscience and has effectively retarded its development for over half a century. I do hope he doesn't tarry in following his wife into the grave.

Compared to that, TheKJA is a rank amateur, a non-event that will be forgotten soon after he's gone. :twisted: