Byron Merritt

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Atreyuh

Byron Merritt

Post by Atreyuh »

http://www.dunenovels.com/news/merritt.html

I suppose each and everyone of you has read this small interview of Frank Herbert's grandson.

Well I had not...until this morning...

Made wanna smash my computer with my hockey stick

Favorite line: "The desire to do a Dune novel comes to me on occasion."

Replace: "to do a Dune novel" by jerking off in front of my employer, or visiting Italy or anything you want...

We are talking about art, literature, about what is arguably the best Sci-Fi series ever written...and by his grandfather nonetheless. And that ******* **** ***** ***** treats it as if it's Kentucky fried chicken.

Okay. Enough.
Must take the pink pill. Now. Easy. :arrow:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Don't worry about him. He works pretty much full-time as an ER nurse (at least a valuable social function) and spends a fair amount of time jackbooting all over the BBS over on Dumb Novels. When he gets around to it. The rest of the time he watches movies and writes up reviews of them. Probably squeezes some HLP business in there somewhere. And he occasionally claims to chase the wife around the house yelling "Wheee! Wheeee! Wheeee!"

I shouldn't worry about him writing anything Dune-related for a long, long time. If ever.

Pity Uncle BooBoo passed him over as his cowriter and went outside the family, huh? :lol:
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

SHUT THE FUCK UP, BYRON!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Here you go, buddy. Enjoy.
{Russian Dune Fansite}
www.thedune.ru
December 2004

Interview with Byron Merritt
Here you can read new interview given to us by Byron Merritt, the grandson of Frank Herbert.
Interviewers: Dicramack & Agamemnon
Interviewee:: Byron Merritt

Brian & Kevin have mentioned graphic novels based on Butlerian Jihad universe in one of their previous interviews. What you know about this project? Has the realization begun or it's simply a prospect idea?

Brian and Kevin are still in negotiations (as of this writing) with their publisher and agent for the production of the graphic novels. According to them, the graphic novels look pretty promising and will probably make it out to the readership soon.

We hope you've already finished reading "The Legends of Dune" trilogy. What's your opinion on it? Did you like it or not? Maybe, the war against machines in "Dune" universe should be told in another way?

I enjoyed the stories for what they were: science fiction for the masses. They were fun reading and it was nice to get a glimpse of the Dune universe during its formation. They aren't (nor were they ever supposed to be) on the same level as Frank Herbert's original Dune. I mean, how could it be? Dune is the science fiction novel that many other stories in the same genre are compared to.

It's pretty easy to sit back and say, "I would've written the war against the machines differently because I saw it like this." Or, "This is what Frank meant." No one can be sure what my grandfather's history of the machine wars was supposed to be. Or can they? Oh, that's right! Brian and Kevin have his notes! Okay, sarcasm's over. But seriously, Brian and Kevin have the notes and know what Frank had in mind. I think the issue some "Dune fans" are having is that Brian and Kevin don't have the same prose as Frank. But how could they?

How many facts, names, characters and etc. in "The Legends of Dune" were taken from Frank Herbert's notes and memos in your opinion?

Many. And this isn't my opinion. I've seen the papers, and Brian and Kevin have taken A LOT of these items that Frank left behind and put them into their prequels. The basic history is straight out of my grandfather's notes, too.

There are many discrepancies between original series and works of Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson? What do you think of it?

Not much. I wasn't really surprised by it. When you jump into a project like this, there are bound to be issues (the prose differences that I mentioned previously, etc.). The "discrepancies" are there, but they don't get in the way of the story for me. I read for enjoyment, not to pick apart a story.

Do you know when "The Road to Dune" is to be published? Approximately.

The "Road to Dune" will be published in the Fall of 2005.

What about Brian & Kevin Dune-based short stories? Can we hope to see new stories like "Hunting Harkonnens" or "Faces of Martyr"?

None are planned as of this writing (I checked with Kevin and Brian on this).

There are rumors, that Sci-Fi Channel is not interested in new projects concerning "Dune Chronicles". Do you know any reason for that? Is there any chance that another channel can be interested in new Dune miniseries?

Oh the TV and movie industry! It's always difficult to get a green light for anything nowadays. I was personally amazed that they did "Children of Dune". Dune Messiah was my least favorite of the original series, but they did a really good job of adapting it to the screen.

The SciFi Channel has first dibs on the rights for TV. Whether or not they choose to exercise those rights . . . I don't know. The ball is in their court, but they haven't returned it yet. But who knows what the future holds.

Is there any chance to see Frank Herbert's original outline for "Dune-7"? Is Herbert Limited Partnership going to publish them someday after the last Dune-7 volume?

Nothing like that is planned. I don't think a publisher would be interested in it, either. You have to remember that the publishing industry is based on money; there's no money in publishing those notes. That's not to say that there's not any "interest" in it. The Dune fans would probably like to see it, but that's not enough incentive for a publisher to print it.

Have you read Frank Herbert's biography "Dreamer of Dune" written by Brian Herbert? What do you think of it?

I loved it! But it was for selfish reasons. Reading "Dreamer of Dune" was like reliving my family history, and it brought back some pretty fantastic memories of my grandfather. I wasn't sure if there would be enough interest out there for a book like that, but apparently there was. It even got nominated for a Hugo Award! Amazing!

What else Dune projects can we expect in 2005? What about "Hunters of Dune"? Is the exact date already known? Shall it be autumn of 2005 or later?

"Hunters of Dune" will probably be released in the Fall of 2006. Brian and Kevin have been given four years (two years per book) to finish "Dune 7".

How many percent of material in "Road to Dune" will be written by Frank Herbert, except for cut scenes from "Chronicles"? Are there any plans for new books like "Road to Dune" in future?

I'm not entirely sure. Hadn't thought about breaking it down like that. My assumption is that it'll be about 20 - 30% Frank and 70 - 80% Brian and Kevin.

There are only so many notes that Frank left, so I doubt there'll be any more "Road to Dune" style stories coming out.

Does Herbert Limited Partnership has any plans for new release of Dune CCG (collectible card game)?

Nothing like that is currently being developed. It may be in the future, though. Lots of ideas are being tossed around right now.

Once Brian said, that before his work on "Prelude to Dune" he's compiled a big Dune Concordance. Is there any chance for publishing of new Dune Encyclopedia based on it?

There won't be a Dune Encyclopedia, so to speak. The Dune Concordance might be considered something of an encyclopedia once readers get their hands on it. Brian's too busy to finish that up quite yet, though. He's busily working on the Dune 7 material right now.

Have you listened to any music inspired by Dune? For example, "A Time to Land" by Iron Maiden or "Traveler in Time" by Blind Guardian?

My love of music doesn't extend that far. I'm a child of the 60's and 70's. I did enjoy (and received) the soundtrack to "Children of Dune". Brian Tyler did a phenomenal job on that soundtrack!

What actors of "Children of Dune" miniseries do you like most? Who reproduced his book character in best way?

My three favorite were (in order): Jessica Brooks as Ghanima, James McAvoy as Leto II, and, surprisingly, Alice Krige as an aging Lady Jessica. Although the -children- were much younger in my grandfather's portrayal in "Children of Dune", I enjoyed the relationship between these three characters that the TV miniseries developed. For sheer beauty, though, I'd have to go with a fourth choice, Daniela Amavia as the tortured Alia.

Also, not surprisingly, this miniseries won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Visual Effects for a miniseries, movie, or special.

Have you read "Dune Encyclopedia" by Dr. Willis E. McNelly? What do you think of it?

No, I haven't read it.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Schu

Post by Schu »

Q: In a previous email with me, you suggested that you were advocating the creation of a series of young adult books set in the Dune universe, is this correct?

A: Many Dune ideas are being flung around. Most of them are currently that: just ideas. Brian and I talk about lots of things Dune related, and the Herbert Partnership is contemplating plenty of ideas. We'll have to see what comes to fruition, though.
That's fuckin' hilarious. They should retrospectively label the rest of their books as young adult though, or perhaps children's books.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

A Child's (or Slow Reader's) History of the Duniverse, by Kevin J. Anderson and Frank Herbert's Number One.

Son. Son. I always forget to add "Son". :oops:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I find it interesting that he falt-out denies having read the DE. :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Riiiight.

And I'm the Jewish Pope what shits in the forests. :roll:
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Freakzilla wrote:I find it interesting that he falt-out denies having read the DE. :wink:
I prefer that blatant lie in wich he says that Frank Herbert told him that after Dune, he started thinking about what happened to Paul and the Fremen and had not written anything about Dune Messiah; while Frank stated in an interview that while writting Dune, he had already written chapters for Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.
In fact, according to Frank in the audio interview, "Dune, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune are one book in my head". :)
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Seriously, Byron: shut the fuck up.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Atreyuh

Post by Atreyuh »

SandChigger wrote: And I'm the Jewish Pope what shits in the forests. :roll:
I knew you were not just a myth :lol:
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

After reading that it doesn't seem like he liked reading those books all that much.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:wink:
Brian and Kevin have been given four years (two years per book) to finish "Dune 7".
And yet they rushed through the writing in a couple or three months and were done with their part of the publishing process in about half a year? One year total between books. :roll:
There are only so many notes that Frank left, so I doubt there'll be any more "Road to Dune" style stories coming out.
That jibes with what KJA told Freak last year. Truth or established HLP line. :?
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

SandChigger wrote:
That jibes with what KJA told Freak last year. Truth or established HLP line. :?
:lol:

Regardless, there's still apparently enough notes left to write PoD, JoD, IoD, and LoD, or, as it is known collectively, Shit of Dune IV: The Quest For Even More Money. :roll:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Don't forget the upcoming books about the Suk Doctors, the BG, the BT and the Guild. Don't even fucking try to tell me that Herbert wrote word one about the Suks that isn't in the books already.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
cmsahe

Re: Byron Merritt

Post by cmsahe »

Atreyuh wrote:http://www.dunenovels.com/news/merritt.html

Favorite line: "The desire to do a Dune novel comes to me on occasion."
He'll write that book more sooner than later... "The $$$ must flow" Byron what about this idea?, the ghola of Duke Leto discovers a Stargate in what used to be Sietch Tabr and then he activates it and emerges in the Cheyenne Mountain Complex and then he meets with Samantha Carter, they have wild sex and then they go to fight the goal'ud who have formed an alliance with another cross dressing robot, then they discover in a no-chamber a document that reveals that the Bene Gesserit are related to the Jedi order and that the jedi order was established by a vulcan called Spock... You can write this book while commuting to your job!
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh, hell, Carlos, a story that good practically writes itself! :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

^^ You are kidding me. Those D-bags will do anything :?
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Baraka Bryan wrote:dont know if this has been shown yet or not, but did anyone else notice that dunenovels.com got switched to frankherbert.net?

it's like they're trying to create validation by connecting his name to their shit.
They have always had a bunch of different URL's that resolve to DN. FrankHerbert.net is not new. There are a few others too.

Goodnight Golden Path!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Omphalos wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:dont know if this has been shown yet or not, but did anyone else notice that dunenovels.com got switched to frankherbert.net?

it's like they're trying to create validation by connecting his name to their shit.
They have always had a bunch of different URL's that resolve to DN. FrankHerbert.net is not new. There are a few others too.
...like http://brianpherbert.com/
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

DuneFishUK wrote:...like http://brianpherbert.com/
Yep, I'm banned from that one too. :cry:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Freakzilla wrote:
What a surprise. :roll: :D
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

DuneFishUK wrote:
Omphalos wrote:

...like http://brianpherbert.com/
I was looking for that one but forgot about teh "p"

Goodnight Golden Path!
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

Freakzilla wrote:
Did he finally grow a pair and IP ban you? Or is it still just a password change?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Dune Nerd wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Did he finally grow a pair and IP ban you? Or is it still just a password change?
You have been banned from this forum.
Please contact the webmaster or board administrator for more information.
~Pink Snowman