Has anybody read Paul of Dune?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Bijaz

Post by Bijaz »

TheDukester wrote:Did he really write "superpowerful"?

And did a series of "test readers" and "editors" really let that get through?

Worst. Writer. EVER.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Holy crap, you can just visualize BriBri with his crayons Brianstorming with Kevin, that's really funny!
They may take yairrrr Frreedom, but they ken nivverrrr take yairrrr Duuuunnne!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

So this Thallo guy is like a patchwork KH? Fused molecular memories?

Is this how they explain Duncan's memories from his own missing ghola cells?

WTF is a molecular memory?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Holy shit that's bad. You'll be happy to know that I found my copy two days ago and will think about getting back to it when I get back to town. Luckily, my many jobs keep me from having the time right now to even look at it. If I can keep working non-stop I'll never have to read one of those books again.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:WTF is a molecular memory?
That's basically McDunese for Other Memory, no?

I'm no expert but I think the current theory is that memory has more to do with the synapses between nerve/brain cells and the way they're connected. But since sperm and egg cells don't have nerve cells or synapses inside them, that would all have to be reduced to/compressed into some sort of molecular form to be passed on.

It's another perfect example of how little real research into science goes into their "science fiction".

:roll:

Edit: Simplifying the above: It's DNA, no? Sorry! :P
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:WTF is a molecular memory?
It's another perfect example of how little real research into science goes into their "science fiction".

:roll:

Edit: Simplifying the above: It's DNA, no? Sorry! :P
That's what I was thinking.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Bijaz

Post by Bijaz »

NO! Dont yuz get it?

It's not just DNA...

It's superduperpowerful from the kryptonite meteor than crashed into Dune that re-animated Frankenstein made from Duncan(s) who was nearly killed by the superdupergiant sea worms at the edge of the world and then..and then... :roll:
They may take yairrrr Frreedom, but they ken nivverrrr take yairrrr Duuuunnne!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh would someone slap that damned midget already. :roll:

Or eat him. I don't care which, just shut him up! :lol:
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

I was interested in finding out the latest tally for Paul of Dune sales over at Amazon. Yesterday the were at ranked down in the 19,000 mark.....now they are back up to #6,282 ......what? Why- all of a sudden- is there a surge in sales? Who is buying this thing?
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Unfront wrote:I was interested in finding out the latest tally for Paul of Dune sales over at Amazon. Yesterday the were at ranked down in the 19,000 mark.....now they are back up to #6,282 ......what? Why- all of a sudden- is there a surge in sales? Who is buying this thing?
Even Amazon admits their algorithm can get loopy. It should not be considered science.

I remember reading an entertaining article a few years ago (Slate, I think) where the reporter choose a book in the 15,000 range and steadily bought copies for a few days. The ranking went down; much hilarity ensued.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Unfront wrote:I was interested in finding out the latest tally for Paul of Dune sales over at Amazon. Yesterday the were at ranked down in the 19,000 mark.....now they are back up to #6,282 ......what? Why- all of a sudden- is there a surge in sales? Who is buying this thing?
see thread "Secret of KJA Success" .....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
DuneFishUK

Re: Has anybody read Paul of Dune?

Post by DuneFishUK »

Looks like the US MMP ed is copying what they're doing over here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paul-Dune-Brian ... ef=ed_oe_h

Not misleading at all - these new books certainly don't infringe on the originals....
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

So pathetic ...

They are so desperate to shift some copies that it's getting absurd. "Direct sequel" ... gigantic "DUNE" on the cover ... NYT best-seller. What a farce.

Seriously, if that "DUNE" gets much bigger, it'll just push everything else off the cover.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

TheDukester wrote:So pathetic ...

They are so desperate to shift some copies that it's getting absurd. "Direct sequel" ... gigantic "DUNE" on the cover ... NYT best-seller. What a farce.

Seriously, if that "DUNE" gets much bigger, it'll just push everything else off the cover.
It's not a word anymore, it's ego...
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Maybe if they shrink the authors names people might pick it up by mistake.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Dammit, Amp, don't give them ideas.

-TheThinkingMachineTleszer
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Ampoliros wrote:Maybe if they shrink the authors names people might pick it up by mistake.
I think by now they should change names, period... :lol:
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I haven't read it. I think after Sandworms it would probably be a bit of a let-down. Nothing can surpass the sublime pinnacle of shittery Comb-Over and BoBo reached with Sandworms. Anything after that would probably be an anti-climax.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

chanilover wrote:I haven't read it. I think after Sandworms it would probably be a bit of a let-down. Nothing can surpass the sublime pinnacle of shittery Comb-Over and BoBo reached with Sandworms. Anything after that would probably be an anti-climax.

It is, zero drama, lots of what the fuck? That's creepy as hell! moments. It's obvious they are grasping for material.

Rob
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

It looks like it's one of those weird "tall" paperbacks, too, that seem to be the preference for publishers these days. I'm not buying them on principle, as their sole apparent reason for existence is to permit the publishers to charge an extra $2 for no adequately justifiable reason.

Not that I would buy this *particular* one in any case.

HBJ
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Hunchback Jack wrote:It looks like it's one of those weird "tall" paperbacks, too, that seem to be the preference for publishers these days. I'm not buying them on principle, as their sole apparent reason for existence is to permit the publishers to charge an extra $2 for no adequately justifiable reason.

Not that I would buy this *particular* one in any case.

HBJ
I think it's taller so they can fit in a few more millimetres-worth of DUNE.

A book like this needs all the help it can get...

(Stupid PHPBB3 - limiting me to font size 200... call this a DUNE board eh? Pitiful :P )
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

DuneFishUK wrote:(Stupid PHPBB3 - limiting me to font size 200... call this a DUNE board eh? Pitiful :P )
:lol: :im with  stupid:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Fucking hell! $9.95 for the mass market paperback!!!!! WTF??????

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Dune-Brian-H ... ef=ed_oe_p

Wow, it's doing worse than I thought. Most mass market paperbacks are priced at $7.99.

What a fraking rip off.

Rob
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Soon to be hovering around $2 from desperate sellers eager to unload it for any price.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

A few weeks ago I was alarmed at how quickly the UK mmpb POD seemed to be selling. The shop re-stocked, pretty quickly and put 3 more copies on the shelf.

...there are still 3 copies on the shelf. :lol:
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

Secher Nbiw wrote:Because I haven't. I don't know what it's about. Can someone give a detailed synopsis?
No I haven't read that sht, but if I stumble on a copy of that hack novel I'll do this:

Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe