Has anybody read Paul of Dune?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

TheDukester

Re: Has anybody read Paul of Dune?

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:I really wanted to know what the downside for the publisher would be if they decided to ax him, breaking their contract for the remaining books ...
In all seriousness, I continue to hold out hope for this. I have visions of someone with some balls at Tor saying, "Hell with it; let's take a hit if we have to — just get rid of this clown."
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Nice avatar, Dukester!

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Sorry if that wasn't clear; the cover issue and breach question weren't really connected. I really wanted to know what the downside for the publisher would be if they decided to ax him, breaking their contract for the remaining books, and you answered that. :)
There are probably clauses in there that make it easier for them to dump him, move him to a lower volume editor, or do other things if his sales volume drops. Ive never seen one of those contracts, but I would imagine that Tor knows what its doing and can cover its ass well enough.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Well, I'm In a bookstore right now, looking at a paperback copy of PoD with the OLD cover!

Can't upload a photo from my phone, sadly.

So I don't know if kja screwed up or what.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Maybe it's for the second edition?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

SandChigger wrote:Maybe it's for the second edition?
Publishers change the cover art on the books to keep them looking "fresh". It is a marketing thing. If you keep cranking out book after book and th covers all look the same, it becomes harder for the browsing buyer to notice the next installment. Adding a new cover makes it stand out on the shelf. Going back and releasing new editions with the new covers brings back the continuity, and may spur repeat sales.

*Note: the "e" is intentionally missing on one word because I know how it bothers a pesky little pest who shall remain namless* (right, Chiggie ol' buddy) :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle

Post by Freakzilla »

redbugpest wrote:
Publishers change the cover art on the books to keep them looking "fresh". It is a marketing thing. If you keep cranking out book after book and th covers all look the same, it becomes harder for the browsing buyer to notice the next installment.
...Or the originals... :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

redbugpest wrote:Publishers change the cover art on the books to keep them looking "fresh". It is a marketing thing. If you keep cranking out book after book and th covers all look the same, it becomes harder for the browsing buyer to notice the next installment. Adding a new cover makes it stand out on the shelf. Going back and releasing new editions with the new covers brings back the continuity, and may spur repeat sales.
Once again, dumbfuck, you demonstrate that you have no reading comprehension whatsoever. :D
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

redbugpest wrote:
Publishers change the cover art on the books to keep them looking "fresh". It is a marketing thing. If you keep cranking out book after book and th covers all look the same, it becomes harder for the browsing buyer to notice the next installment. Adding a new cover makes it stand out on the shelf. Going back and releasing new editions with the new covers brings back the continuity, and may spur repeat sales.

*Note: the "e" is intentionally missing on one word because I know how it bothers a pesky little pest who shall remain namless* (right, Chiggie ol' buddy) :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle
Thank you for explaining the world of marketing to us as well. You stupid fuck-wit. Your like arnoldo with more excuses for why you can't post.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Way to repeat something we've all said or known before.

Did you read Paul of Dune? can you point out where Marie Fenring is awesome, other than when the hack just tells us she's awesome?

Have you read Winds of Dune? can you explain why in a 1 page gap KJA can't keep time straight? this mystical month after Paul's Death seems to have between 2-3 weeks and 5-6 weeks in it.

Can you explain why KJA can't wrap his head around the fact that guild transports travel instantly? And don't give me the 'loading time' crap.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

redbugpest wrote:

Actually, you'll find its missing on two words...
Have another look.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

RBP, my post wasn't really a question about why covers change, but about the confusing matter of the Paul of dune paperback cover. Originally the cover on amazon was the same as the PoD hardcover. Then KJA announced on his blog that the cover had changed to be similar in style to the winds HC, and that cover showed up in his blog, on amazon and on the new DN site.

But the actual cover that was used when it was published yesterday was the old cover - same as the PoD HC.

Changing cover styles to make a new installment stand out us understandable. Announcing a cover change and not doing it is confusing. And dumb.

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Hunchback Jack wrote:RBP, my post wasn't really a question about why covers change, but about the confusing matter of the Paul of dune paperback cover. Originally the cover on amazon was the same as the PoD hardcover. Then KJA announced on his blog that the cover had changed to be similar in style to the winds HC, and that cover showed up in his blog, on amazon and on the new DN site.

But the actual cover that was used when it was published yesterday was the old cover - same as the PoD HC.

Changing cover styles to make a new installment stand out us understandable. Announcing a cover change and not doing it is confusing. And dumb.

HBJ
Could this be another incident of he thought one thing but the publisher did another? i.e. the cover change for Winds.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Eyes High wrote:Could this be another incident of he thought one thing but the publisher did another? i.e. the cover change for Winds.
There's two factors at work here, actually:

1. Kevin J. Anderson, once again, was either left entirely out of the loop regarding a publisher's decision on a cover, or else he just flat-out got the information wrong. Either way, of course, is pretty funny.

2. Our friend Conway is adding to the fun by, once again, trying to impress us with his knowledge of the publishing industry. Sadly, this ranks somewhere near his knowledge of good web-design. Remember, this is the same guy that "guaranteed" that Amazon had made a mistake when it first posted the revised U.S. hardcover art. Bzzzzzzztttt!

Mix these two factors together, and you're bound to have some confusion.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

TheDukester wrote:
Eyes High wrote:Could this be another incident of he thought one thing but the publisher did another? i.e. the cover change for Winds.
There's two factors at work here, actually:

1. Kevin J. Anderson, once again, was either left entirely out of the loop regarding a publisher's decision on a cover, or else he just flat-out got the information wrong. Either way, of course, is pretty funny.
Indeed. When I said the cover change debacle for PoD was "confusing" what I meant was "it makes KJA look like an idiot".

But do I really need to say that? ;)

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Speaking of PoD covers, Hodder (the UK DUNE publisher) are a slippery bunch.

As noticed before, PoD has "The Epic Sequel to Dune" on the cover. Hodder have also released Dune and Dune Messiah with new covers similar in style to PoD. How do they describe DM?

"His second Dune novel".

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Slippery indeed... bigging up PoD above a confirmed classic.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Nice generic cover art... NOT.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I prefer the art they have on Dune...

Mindblowing.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I didn't know Michael Bay was painting covers for Dune! :P
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

GamePlayer wrote:I didn't know Michael Bay was painting covers for Dune! :P
ZING! :laughing:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

I have never read it. Don't plan to, either.
Long Live the Fighters.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

What ... you suddenly developed some taste?

Wow ... evolution in action? :lol:
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

DuneFishUK wrote:I prefer the art they have on Dune...

Mindblowing.
Oh, a Dune book cover?
At first glance, resembles one of the older editions of Dianetics by Hubbard.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP