Jessica to the Winds of Dune inconsistencies!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

TheDukester

Re: Jessica to the Winds of Dune inconsistencies!

Post by TheDukester »

Not to mention Becky's "proofing" and "line editing" and "her final blue-line edit" and all of that other shit that TheJacket is always babbling about.

So, in summary: three mental midgets, incapable of producing an interesting story either together or separately.

(I wonder if each book actually gets more boring every time they trade off one of their edits ... :think: )
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

TheDukester wrote:(I wonder if each book actually gets more boring every time they trade off one of their edits ... :think: )
I suppose it's possible. They get bored with the first drafts and add more 'splosions each time.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Lady Jessica stood in her chamber with the familiar packing wardrobe open before her. Its sides bore the stickers and date stamps of transport authorities, showing the many planets and star systems she had visited since the time she first left Wallach IX as a young woman to become the concubine of Duke Leto Atreides. Jessica had seen a great deal since then, had experienced supreme joy and profound tragedy.
This is such a nothing paragraph, in any case. It tells us nothing new about past events, it tells us nothing about Jessica. The final sentence, an attempt to elicit empathy from the reader, is a hollow and meaningless statement, not explained or expanded upon in subsequent sentences.

We're not seeing a writer at work here, this is KJA just filling words on a page.

HBJ
Last edited by Hunchback Jack on 21 Jun 2010 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

I think the five people that went to that writing workshop could bring a lawsuit against Kevin J. Anderson.

EXHIBIT A:
Jessica had seen a great deal since then, had experienced supreme joy and profound tragedy.
Someone contact Frank Walden.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Its sides bore the stickers and date stamps of transport authorities, showing the many planets and star systems she had visited since the time she first left Wallach IX...
:lol:

Wow. This speculative fiction is really hard; apparently, you have imagine this whole other universe which is different from the one you live in - except that it must of course also have transport authorities and all the other stuff I, the writer/dicthiker, is surrounded by. I'm sure the idiots also imagine Dune as having regular police stations and fire departments...
lotek

Post by lotek »

Lady Jessica stood in her chamber with the familiar packing wardrobe open before her. Its sides bore the stickers and date stamps of transport authorities, showing the many planets and star systems she had visited since the time she first left Wallach IX as a young woman to become the concubine of Duke Leto Atreides. Jessica had seen a great deal since then, had experienced supreme joy and profound tragedy.
What they should have written(it might not be great but anything goes after reading that drivel):
The Lady Jessica pondered on her situation, amidst the various tokens and souvenirs her Bene Gesserit training had taught her to be old-fashionned sentimentalism. Leaving Wallach IX and the safety of the School to bind her destiny to the Atreides had been the source of great sadness but it had brought an unexpected reward; love.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

merkin muffley wrote:I think the five people that went to that writing workshop could bring a lawsuit against Kevin J. Anderson.

EXHIBIT A:
Jessica had seen a great deal since then, had experienced supreme joy and profound tragedy.
Someone contact Frank Walden.
You don't get it. Her joy was supreme and the tragedy profound. This tells me that she has experienced such a wide range of joy and tragedy that words can't even truly describe it. If joy was seeing your young Jedi offspring again after they'd been kidnapped for the 10th time and tragedy was a Sun Crusher then Jessica has felt it all. Wow, I feel so connected to her.

:whistle:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Lady Jessica stood naked in her chamber with her travel wardrobe open before her, clothing and accessories pulled from it and scattered around the room, as though they had been tossed about by a telekinetic tornado. With Gurney separated from her by 100 parsecs of planets and star systems, what a time to have forgotten to pack the ultravibe!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Now I'm connected!

dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

That's just... wrong. :oops:

Anyway....
SandChigger wrote:I want to get it finished and go back and do the ones for the Legends books (provided some kind soul out there doesn't take pity on me and just shoot me first! :lol: )
Hey, great idea. (not the shooting part) Maybe Freakzilla can add all the chapters from the McDunes to the Reading Group forum. Only 10 x 100 chapters+epilogues to read, summarize and forget.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

dunaddict wrote:Maybe Freakzilla can add all the chapters from the McDunes to the Reading Group forum.
Ack! Blasphemer! Burn him! :twisted:
lotek

Post by lotek »

jessica
winds of Dune...

queef???

The queef of Dune?

and btw the plural would be queefs I guess but queeves sounds good(no pun intented) otherwise I would have said queeves sound good, but then what do I know; I'm just an old fart!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:
dunaddict wrote:Maybe Freakzilla can add all the chapters from the McDunes to the Reading Group forum.

(Not that they would take long to summarize.)
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

lotek wrote:and btw the plural would be queefs I guess but queeves sounds good(no pun intented) otherwise I would have said queeves sound good, but then what do I know; I'm just an old fart!
Oh stop pussyfooting and farting around about it and just go ahead and type it and get it over with already. :roll:

Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:

A thread for each chapter of NuDune would probably break the board tho. Better not risk it.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Hunchback Jack wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:

A thread for each chapter of NuDune would probably break the board tho. Better not risk it.

HBJ
I wouldn't do it anyway simply because I don't want to put myself through the torture of reading them again.

I was thinking of maybe doing FH's "Other Books" though.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:
lotek wrote:and btw the plural would be queefs I guess but queeves sounds good(no pun intented) otherwise I would have said queeves sound good, but then what do I know; I'm just an old fart!
Oh stop pussyfooting and farting around about it and just go ahead and type it and get it over with already. :roll:

yeah you're right
I'd better get it out...

My official new name for that book I've never read and still feel the urge to criticize:
Jessica to the Queeves of Dune

thanks Chig I feel good now, almost relieved...
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

lotek wrote:My official new name for that book I've never read and still feel the urge to criticize:
Jessica to the Queeves of Dune

thanks Chig I feel good now, almost relieved...
Relieved? I feel... violated. :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
lotek

Post by lotek »

don't worry it only does that the first time around :)
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Thanks! I feel so much better now!
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
lotek

Post by lotek »

told ya :mrgreen:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Tleszer wrote:Relieved? I feel... violated. :lol:
Yeah... but you ALWAYS feel violated. :roll:

:shock:
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
Yep, McDune chapters already are their own summary. Just copy and paste the whole lot. That way you don't even have to read them anymore. :)
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

dunaddict wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
Yep, McDune chapters already are their own summary. Just copy and paste the whole lot. That way you don't even have to read them anymore. :)
I suggest a refinement of that strategy.

Select 5 chapters at random. Then reference all other chapters to those 5. That should do it. :)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SadisticCynic wrote:
dunaddict wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
I suggest a refinement of that strategy.

Select 5 chapters at random. Then reference all other chapters to those 5. That should do it. :)
Replace all the verbs with "queef," as in...
Jessica had queefed a great deal since then, had queefed supreme joy and profound tragedy.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."