Jessica of Dune page now up on Amazon

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Jessica of Dune page now up on Amazon

Post by SandChigger »

Available and open, ready for poking and pillage.

(Why do the idiots make these things available this early? 221 days and counting. My mood is now much improved. :twisted: )

Time to start up the FUD campaign, I reckon.

See y'all there. (Linky) :lol:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

dang, guess I'll be absolutely forced to buy something from G-dAmazon.

Book's not even finished yet - well, if they want to start the hawking,
I'm ready to start the mocking....

can you start a discussion yet ?
can you post a pre-review ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yes, you can start discussions. :D

No, you can't post pre-reviews (whatever that means) ... unless you do it in a discussion thread?

I'm going to go back through Kevvy's blawgs and see what he's said about the content. (There's not much, I don't think, other than that it's set between Dune and Messiah. And they said in a book tour video that Jessica does something dark and surprising...so I figure they have her going down on Irulan or eating Alia's secret baby's afterbirth. Wait...are those dark or just sick?)

FUN TIMES!!! :D
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I hear that dark is the new chic. :wink:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Got Dat Raht. :P
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't feel the slightest tmeptation to read it, even for free.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

My favorite of the tags:

blaphemy

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

!!

Post by Omphalos »

Robspierre wrote:My favorite of the tags:

blaphemy

Rob
We leave out the "S" for Savings!!!!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

G-d help me and I don't know why, but I just read some old interviews with Keith, and the old
"they hate it before they read it" line is soooooo annoying. I've had just about enough of all that concerning
these "books" from him, from That Asshole Over There, from jackoffs on amazon's review page, &etc.

When I was a little boy, I stuck my peter in a steel-spring beaver trap.
I don't think I gots to do that again to know what will happen.....
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

There is a point there, though.

If you haven't read a book, which no one without access to a manuscript or ARC can claim to have done before its publication, you have absolutely no business posting a review or giving it a rating, period.

Since Amazon has the discussion forums online, I take it that they have no problem with people discussing a book before its publication. And oh, do I plan to discuss this and the next two into the ground. :twisted:

Kevin uses that story about people panning House Atreides before it was published to try to give the impression that everyone that hates the books is the same as those people: complainers who haven't even read the books. But anyone who is paying the slightest attention should be able to tell that isn't true of the majority of us.

It is familiarity that breeds contempt of the contemptible. To truly hate a thing, you must know it well. :evil:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I just checked out the page again and notice that there's been a pretard come through and post these tags:

better than frank s writing (1)
better than the original (1)
ultimate dune (1)

Anyone smell arnoldo, for example? ;)
MICAH

Post by MICAH »

one of y'all needs to tag it as 'sligshit' like you did for POD :lol:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Of course I mostly agree with you, Chigger. You know my position. I'm not concerned so much with the "content" of the new books as I am with the "intent". And how the HLP plays their politics. I agree that on a site like g-damazon.com, someone should have read the book before posting a "review" - and of course the discussion & comments pages would be under a different set of rules.

I like my beaver trap analogy. Tell you what, you go ahead and stick your peter in there, then tell me what it felt like. I'll just take your word for it.

On those pretard tags : don't discount the possibility it might be a twisted OH with a sick sense of humor and desire to stir up controversy. (no, I didn't do it, but I did think about something similar)(James Carville calls such tactics like that in campaigns "sowin' them seeds of discontent" - getting an agent to put out a message for the other side sure to rile up your base, and allowing you to get out your message in the "response")

Suggestion : I may or may not actually purchase something from g-damazon.com just to be in on this, but if I don't, I'd sure like to see the word exploitation tossed around alot.

"Exploiters of Dune": The Saga is Far from Over ......
ImageImage

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:I just checked out the page again and notice that there's been a pretard come through and post these tags:

ultimate dune (1)

Might be Bubba. :shock:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:To truly hate a thing, you must know it well.
Disagree. I loathe Hacky and Whatsisface as much as it is humanly possible to loathe; I don't need to literally suffer through something like Paul of Dune to make that the case.

Their wholesale pillaging of a literary classic and destruction of FH's legacy has very little to do with the actual order in which they put down the words; it matters little to me whether PoD is truly awful to the point of causing cancer of the eyes or if it's merely complete and utter shit. That's a fine point that does little to address the larger issues of the HLP's lack of editorial oversight, their hiring of a notorious hack, and the Herbert family selling out their own flesh and blood for a once-a-year paycheck.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Bravo TheDukester!

Whatever "research" needed to be done to achieve an informed opinion KJA's "work" for purposes of critique has long since been collected, categorized, referenced and notarized. No more than one or two books would have been needed for a lifetime of worldly experience on the subject. Part of the problem with the losing war on mediocrity is people continuing to purchase and support it while pretending to condemn it. There is no middle ground; either you support KJA/HLP by purchasing their books or you do not. Simple.

As the saying goes; Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me..
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

We don't need to sniff every turd they squeeze out to know that their shit stinks. Nor do we to know that they have no concern for FH's legacy. It's gone beyond anything they can print now.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Baraka Bryan wrote:I still believe that to properly criticize the book, you need to have read it.
I have no problem with this philosophy. My interest has never been so much about claiming, specifically, "Sandworms sucks" or "Paul of Dune sucks," but more along the lines of what I mentioned earlier: exposing the culture of greed, arrogance, and cluelessness that led Brian Herbert/the HLP to turn over a literary treasure to one of the most infamous hacks in the entire history of English literature.

Anyone who checked would see that I stay out of the threads that break down the problems with specific KJA/Other Guy passages. I might chime in with a generic joke every so often, but I agree that I can't debate the specifics until I've read the book in question.

Which ain't gonna happen, for the record. I've read both authors before, and I feel confident that neither of them has suddenly developed the ability to write good fiction.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I actually agree with both points - both are valid.

SOMEONE needs to read these books for point-by-point debate & deconstuction.

But that someone doesn't have to be me.

I'll just look over Chigger's Cliff Notes....I trust his opinion.
ImageImage

DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Freakzilla wrote:We don't need to sniff every turd they squeeze out to know that their shit stinks. Nor do we to know that they have no concern for FH's legacy. It's gone beyond anything they can print now.
That is very true - Something utterly incredible would have to happen for this next book not to stink as bad or worse than the previous squeezings. But... I will be looking for a copy of the audiobook version again - I've got the morbid masochistic fascination to try and unearth a few more steaming gems :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

I've read 2 of their "Whateveritis" books and simply couldnt (and cant) read the other one to the final chapters. It's just too much pretentious crap being spoon fed like a bad soap opera; especially hunters. I still give my thanks to a Thing of Eternity for filling me in and saving me from the hacks brain harvest. God knows i was only tolerating their prequels because i had, until that point, seen some really bad Anime and my standards were low. I'm still ashamed of having been a gullible idiot at the begining and believed that they actually had some notes :cry: . But boy did this whole situation changed me! No more patting on the head of mediocracy.

Speaking of mediocracy i found this: http://inversions-and-deceptions.blogsp ... cracy.html
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

DuneFishUK wrote: I will be looking for a copy of the audiobook version again ...
At least with the audiobooks, you'll get Scott Brick, who is the best in the business.

If I ever were to give Paul, or Jessica, or Gurney, or Whatever of Dune a try — and the odds on that are still pretty small — I'd go with the audio versions. Brick can make almost anything sound good.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Mediocracy has two approaches to transforming culture. Dumbing down involves coarsening and trivialising output to the point where it becomes stupefying rather than enlightening. Sexing up involves wrapping up the trivial and vacuous in jargon and technique, in order to render it sufficiently opaque for its vacuity to be concealed. Often both qualities are combined, resulting in a low-grade product with a veneer of esoteric complexity.
Uh i love this bit :D
Funny how this whole article, while not refering directly to the hacks situation, has so much in common with them and DN.
I'm thinking of getting this book :lol:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger wrote:I just checked out the page again and notice that there's been a pretard come through and post these tags:

ultimate dune (1)

The first two tags I put up :twisted:

Rob
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

TOLD YA !!

That Wise Old SandRider wrote:On those pretard tags : don't discount the possibility it might be a twisted OH with a sick sense of humor and desire to stir up controversy. (no, I didn't do it, but I did think about something similar)(James Carville calls such tactics like that in campaigns "sowin' them seeds of discontent" - getting an agent to put out a message for the other side sure to rile up your base, and allowing you to get out your message in the "response")
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
ImageImage