My good deed of the day

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

cmsahe

My good deed of the day

Post by cmsahe »

Hi guys,

I've just visited the "official" MB:

Why B. Vladimir Harkonnen was obese:

Frank Herbert wrote in GEoD: (Moneo, Hwi Noree and Duncan are talking)

Moneo: "He was a seeker after sensations, the fat was a side effect, then perhaps something to expirience for itself because it offende people and he enjoyed offending."

The version given in the Houses Trilogy is wrong that BG infection given by Gaius Mohiam to him.
http://www.dunenovels.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 5112#65112
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I feel something in common with the Baron: I love eating the vast growing list of errors found in the hack books :)
Nice catch cmsahe
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I just re=posted that in
"posts I think will be deleted at DN" ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Sole Man

on the Baron's lardiness

Post by Sole Man »

I bouth GEoD today, thanks for spoiling it for me!

Anyway, most of us know that. I figuered i tout from the wikipeida article. (In DUNE Lady Fenrig points out that the Baron "Let himself go to fat")

Oh KJA, what will inconsisteently think up next?
cmsahe

Re: on the Baron's lardiness

Post by cmsahe »

Sole Man wrote:I bouth GEoD today, thanks for spoiling it for me!

Anyway, most of us know that. I figuered i tout from the wikipeida article. (In DUNE Lady Fenrig points out that the Baron "Let himself go to fat")

The finale of this book is fantastic, specially when Luke Skywalker shows up to rescue Han Solo, who is frozen in carbonite, Boba Fett is eaten alive by a Sandworm! ;) (Maybe this is the storyline for the next Pinky & The Brain Leto of Dune novel! )

----
cmsahe

re:

Post by cmsahe »

SandRider wrote:I just re=posted that in
"posts I think will be deleted at DN" ....
Thank you SandRider, maybe those hack novels are oriented for a young adults market, I have only read the Houses Trilogy and found them simmilar, on pair to the Star Wars novels.

I've just posted this too: On the true nature of the Butlerian Jihad, GEoD gives us several clues as to the true nature of that Jihad, I believe that it was never a Terminator-like event.

http://www.dunenovels.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 5117#65117

----
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

cmsahe wrote:I believe that it was never a Terminator-like event.
nobody but Merritt really does ....

{and he's lying...}
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Schu

Post by Schu »

Hey guys, reckon we can differentiate between "good deed" and "pointless deed that only makes OHians look rabid"?
dunepunk

Post by dunepunk »

Schu wrote:Hey guys, reckon we can differentiate between "good deed" and "pointless deed that only makes OHians look rabid"?
How about this as a starting place:

Good deed-- Makes a point about one or more of the many reasons that the prequels and sequels cannot and should not be considered part of the same universe as the original Frank Herbert Dune novels.

Pointless deed that only makes OHians look rabid-- An insult directed at the authors or preeks that fails to make a point about the corruption of the Dune series in the hands of KJA and BH, etc.

Again, just a quick starting place if we're gonna define terms.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that the thoughts acquire speed; the lips aquire stains; the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

how about this as a starting point :

OH, the OH, or if you must, OHs

not OHers, OHer's, OHians, OHists, OHismers, etc...
ImageImage

Schu

Post by Schu »

I'm sticking with OHian. I don't particularly care what anyone else wants to call orthodox herbertarians.

What I think about these posts that make us look rabid and/or stupid and pointless is that:

1. Separate posts for basically the same point (doesn't fit in FH's vision) makes us look like spammers.

2. Just saying "KJA&BH wrote this, FH wrote that, it doesn't fit in" without any real attempt at understanding the other side, any direction for the topic, and possibility of reasonable discussion is about the same, in effect, as starting a new thread called "I hate the "new dune" novels".

3. Writing "FH never thought of a terminator-like jihad", following it with merely a quote (and not a particularly convincing one) and leaving it at that seems to me about as childish as atheists that say (basically, paraphrased) "The burden of proof rests on the affirmative side, therefore God does not exist".
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Orthodox Herbertarianains ?

And just who are "we" looking "rabid and/or stupid and pointless" to ?

Merritt ? The Pretards ? The general public ?

I think you're misunderstanding the point of the Game now.
Keith and the HLP are not going to stop publishing these bullshit books.
The Pretards are not going to stop reading them. The general public
doesn't give a fuck either way. A handful of lunatics on the internet
are not going to stop this cash machine. There is no 'argument' to win.

The point of the game Over There now is to post questions and observations
on Keith's idiocy with the themes of the new books and let them go
unanswered by Merritt. Or just be deleted. There is no "reasonable
discussion" to be had Over There. No one over here wants to see that
board have any posts of any real value. "We" want Merritt to delete the
shit out them. "We" want that board to fold up like the cheap two dollar
suitcase it is.
ImageImage

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Schu wrote:... reasonable discussion ...
Reasonable discussion?!?!

Where, exactly, is that supposed to be happening? And with whom? And when did I, or anyone else, suddenly get put on your team?

Give me a fucking break.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Did someone say rabid?!

Post by SandChigger »

Sorry, Schu, but I haven't worked myself this frothy just to stop now.

I'D LATHER DIE!!! :lol:

(Oh, shit, how did that pic of 'Becca get up there? :shock: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

They'll say that they covered this in the House series, I think there was something about the Barron "making" people think that he was doing it to himself.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

What keith fails to recognize is that he caused all of this by his inability to admit one mistake and start getting editors for those fucking books. Instead he retcons shit just to stick it to people who don't like him. There's no reason to be civil or nice to him at this point. He's the worst kind of human being on the planet. He deserves a punishment worse than anything in history.
Sole Man

Post by Sole Man »

Laphtiya wrote:

They'll say that they covered this in the House series, I think there was something about the Barron "making" people think that he was doing it to himself.

Its distubrs me to think on he was "making" them think that.

(What wer ethe little slave boys telling people. More important: what were the used ones corspes telling Mr. Anderson?)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Over There » For Lovers of both the Classic Dune AND the Prequels » How did you first hear about Dune?
Schu wrote:So Byron, how did you find out about Dune?
Good example of what I'm talking about, anyway, Schu. I've personally found & posted
two different and conflicting answers Merritt has given to this question. I have little doubt there
are other conflicting stories floating around that board that I haven't dug up yet.

Merritt will either not answer this, just flat out ignoring you, or he will give an answer that has
to conflict with one or both of the previous answers. I'm not trying to "call" him on all this, I
just want it laid right out there in the open, further reducing his general credibility.
ImageImage

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Schu wrote:...possibility of reasonable discussion...
Is nonexistent.
You're out of the loop Schu. The possibility of rational discourse between Dumbnovels and anyone else online, here or otherwise, officially ended when the Dumbnovels management unilaterally enforced the "You're not allowed to say that" policy. After that point, there can be no free exchange of ideas, no meaningful correspondence by any credible benchmark. It doesn't matter "how" you communicate your opinion on Dumbnovels, whether in civil or irrational terms, it will be censored by default.

As long as that policy remains in effect on Dumbnovels, any criticism of the HLP/KJA/Dumbnovels itself, no matter how unfair or harsh, will remain justified.
Schu

Post by Schu »

Oh, I don't really care. I was just pointing out the irony of asking a guy how he first heard about his grandfather's magnum opus. If he has conflicting stories, he's welcome to them.

I don't want to "win" any argument, change the business of dune (OK well I do, but I know it ain't going to happen), or anything like that. I just don't like that people with the same opinion as I have are getting a bad reputation (ok, "have", not "are getting")and that rubs off on me. Now that is mostly the fault of the people that are prejudiced against me based on the actions of other people, but if I don't react against against what I consider childish behaviour, even if it is on a board where real discussion is stifled and the majority are indeed pretards, then I'm not really myself anymore.

So when I see people acting childishly, whether or not I agree with their opinions, I'm call it out (and especially if it reflects on me).
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

In that regard we actually agree, for the most part.
I'm not sure why anyone would want to waste their time at Dumbnovels. It's why I left. I do get curious from time to time about the odd anecdote from Dumbnovels that the Jacurutu membership will repost here. But really, the actual entertainment value that place supplies is not enough to justify joining or visiting on a regular basis.

On the issue of maturity, any civility was killed during the "Hypbitch Incident." We now live in a post-Arrakeen world :)
Schu

Post by Schu »

Ah, well, maybe it's a good thing I missed that whole fiasco then :P

I'll probably get sick of DN after a while, but I can't resist the urge, especially in the classic dune section, to show some of the pretards how stupid they are.

I got sick of it pretty quickly after the whole thing got started with Chig getting banned.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Just to inject a little holiday (Merry Xmas, all! :P ) childishness into the discussion...
Laphtiya wrote:They'll say that they covered this in the House series, I think there was something about the Barron "making" people think that he was doing it to himself.
Something about all the McDune books makes me think that, while writing, Kevin is doing "it" to himself. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
cmsahe

re:

Post by cmsahe »

Oi Schu!: Only stupids say stupidities and I'm not stupid.

In GEoD, Leto II mentions that the machines made mankind mentally lazy, that's what triggered the Butlerian Jihad. If you, Schu, enjoy your Terminator-like novels, good for you.

Now, as for killing machines, conceived by Frank Herbert, maybe he was planning something about it for future novels, as we can discern from that vision during the test of Siona:

"He saw the milky distances enter her eyes. Without asking permission, she tapped his front segment, demanding that he prepare the warm hammock of his flesh. He obeyed. She fitted herself to the gentle curve. By peering sharply downward, he could see her. Siona's eyes remained opened, but they no longer saw this place. She jerked abruptly and began to tremble like a small creature dying. He knew this experience, but could not change the smallest part of it. No ancestral presences would remain in her consciousness, but she would carry with her forever afterward the clear sights and sounds and smells. The seeking machines would be there, the smell of blood and entrails, the cowering humans in their burrows aware only that they could not escape . . . while all the time the mechanical movement approached, nearer and nearer and nearer ...louder...louder!
"

As I understand it, this is the threat to the survival of mankind.

Best,
Carlos Santillan

Schu wrote:I'm sticking with OHian. I don't particularly care what anyone else wants to call orthodox herbertarians.

What I think about these posts that make us look rabid and/or stupid and pointless is that:

1. Separate posts for basically the same point (doesn't fit in FH's vision) makes us look like spammers.

2. Just saying "KJA&BH wrote this, FH wrote that, it doesn't fit in" without any real attempt at understanding the other side, any direction for the topic, and possibility of reasonable discussion is about the same, in effect, as starting a new thread called "I hate the "new dune" novels".

3. Writing "FH never thought of a terminator-like jihad", following it with merely a quote (and not a particularly convincing one) and leaving it at that seems to me about as childish as atheists that say (basically, paraphrased) "The burden of proof rests on the affirmative side, therefore God does not exist".

----
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

What does that vision have to do with a terminator-style jihad?

Beside's IMO Siona's vision is of a possible past, in which humans would all be hunted down by Ixian self-improving hunter-seekers, that Leto prevented early in his reign, which was a result of his metamorphasis.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman