Shut Up, Byron

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandRider
Watermaster

Shut Up, Byron

Post by SandRider »

zeropoint wrote:
boardadmin wrote:
zeropoint wrote:Which brings me to Farok's regenerating arm. When we first meet him in DM, Scytale notices his empty sleeve. Then one page later, Farok is clasping his hands in his lap. Now this has been called an inconsistancy, but nowhere is it mentioned that he had only one arm. Just an empty sleeve. Could it be his arm was in a sling? Wounded, where he wasn't able to put it into his sleeve. This theory, however, is also not mentioned. Ho hum.
Not to mention if something like this took place in one of BH and KJA's Dune books, those that dislike the new Dune novels would scream "Inconsistency!" And then when a rationalization such as you postulated was given, they'd completely disregard it.
There are many inconsistancies and contradictions between Frank's own work. I'm only trying to find a safe medium. However, I do believe that if one desires to continue another's work, they should have an eye for inconsistancies and try to avoid them. Blatant changes to canon, rationalized by personal opinion (or pride) is something I find hard to digest. I'm not trying to knock the new authors, the have many admirers, I'm simply stating a personal preferance.

While you are right, allowances can be, and perhaps should be made, I found much that simply was not cohesive between the original and expansion novels.
Last edited by SandRider on 18 Dec 2008 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

GODDAMNIT! SOMEBODY TAKE MY KEYBOARD AWAY !

I fucking typoed the fucking topic title, and I know DAMN WELL
that can't be fixed ! FUUUCK !

Omph, delete this whole ill-advised drunken trhead, and I'll try again later
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Amazing how Byron took the one paragraph he could use to defend the nuAuthors, and completely missed the point the original poster was making.

Obviously, zeropoint was saying that inconsistencies can happen in even the best work, and can be acknowledged as such. He was implying, without saying so directly, that the nuDune books go well beyond what he considers a "happy medium" of inconsistency - i.e. in degree, in extent, and in authors' efforts to avoid them.

But Byron uses that one paragraph to say "Yeah, and if the nuAuthors tried to pull a rationalization like that, they'd be lynched". Yes, they would, Byron, because no one would buy it in Frank's case, either.

HBJ
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ill retitle it. let me know if you dont like it, and ill redo it again. For future reference, all you have to do is edit your post and you will be able to edit the title also.

I still shake my head ever time Byron thinks he has to get all uppity about "attacks" that could be made on his uncle and his lil friend. If they need to defend themselves, why the hell dont they go do it at DN themselves? Why does Byron think he has to do it. I mean, its really not like any of us are there any more. We may parse their words and call them idiots here, but they no longer have to put up with us at DN, so what is the problem with at lease Kevvie showing up and slapping his dick on the table and taking us to task? Could it be because he knows he's not man enough to handle our criticism? That he's not quick enough to outsmart us? Or that he just doesnt know shit about Dune? The coward.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Sole Man

on Byron "The coward" Merrit.

Post by Sole Man »

Does byron have some kind of female loved one? If so, are there any pictures you guys could post here.

I'm working on a little revenge that I pulled on my freind...
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Meet Byron Merritt !
A central figure of the Dune Community, Byron Merritt claims to be the biological grandson
of Frank Herbert. Get to know this interesting and controversial figure for yourself !

live search wrote:Sponsored sites: Byron Merrit- www.ebay.com: Live Search cashback
Buy Byron Merrit. You may get 25% off with PayPal if eligible.
Half.com / Books / Byron Merritt
Monterey Shorts: Byron Merritt, Chris Kemp, Mark C. Angel, Shaheen Schmidt (Paperback, 2002) $1.04
people.half.ebay.com/Byron-Merritt_W0QQcidZ1169190311QQmZbooks

MERRITT, BYRON (stories)
Father Figure (ss) Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine Apr 2003
Interview— Brian Herbert (iv) Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine #9 2003

Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine, Issue #6
Written by Steven H Silver
Thursday, 19 June 2003
“Father Figure” by Byron Merritt
In “Father Figure,” Byron Merritt has written a golden age style story of a young boy and his robot, careful to include a large amount of technobabble to provide a futuristic feel. Thomas, a thirteen year old, comes across as refreshingly naïve, although his (and his mother’s) inability to see the obvious does grate by the end of the story. Merritt seems to have been reluctant to include any sign of menace which weakens the story and adds to a nostalgic feel.

From his own site bios:

Byron Merritt: Byron is a 41-year-old filmophile with a penchant for the bizarre. He lives in the subtle town of Pacific Grove, California where he works, writes, watches movies, works on writing about movies and generally drives everyone crazy with his constant question, "Have you seen this film!"
Byron Merritt
Merrit lives in Pacific Grove, California, and works as a full time emergency room nurse and part time writer. He's taken first and third places in local writing competitions and has posted numerous science fiction stories/articles on the Internet at various webzines. He says that he derives much of his writing abilities via his genes; his grandfather was the internationally best-selling author Frank Herbert of Dune fame. Byron is currently working on multiple science fiction and fantasy short stories, novels, and novelettes.

Byron Merritt is the founder of Fiction Writers of the Monterey Peninsula, which was established in January of 2000.
He continues to raise teenage twins (a boy and a girl) while working full time as an emergency room nurse.
Lately his writing life has consisted of writing shorts stories. But he’s interviewed famous authors, too, and has had some of these interviews published in countries as far away as Australia and the United Kingdom.
His grandfather, the famous Dune author Frank Herbert, was an early inspiration in his writing career. Brian Herbert (Byron’s uncle) and Kevin J. Anderson—coauthors of the New York Times best-selling Dune prequels—remain an important influence in his writing life.
Byron currently lives in Pacific Grove, California with his beautiful fiancé, Stasia, the polish princess.
ImageImage

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

huh. didn't realize I was that much of a post whore (yes, I did)

the bios are off of his own sites, the filmstew thang and the Monterey Self-Publishers Group,
or whatever. All this was part of a "Meet Byron Merritt !" thing I was putting together awhile
back, then lost fucking interest. Sloey's comment about his "woman friend" reminded me of the
polish princess, reminding me I had never posted this.
BB wrote:tell me that's actually on a webpage somewhere
It is now !
ImageImage

Sole Man

on my REVENGE

Post by Sole Man »

I'll just send him one of Mr. Anderson...

...And maybe Bri-Bri.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: on Byron "The coward" Merrit.

Post by SandChigger »

Sole Man wrote:Does byron have some kind of female loved one? If so, are there any pictures you guys could post here.

I'm working on a little revenge that I pulled on my freind...
There are things we will do, and things we will not.

Family are to be considered non-combatants until they take it upon themselves to leap into the fray. Byron's wife and children aren't involved in any of this. Neither is Brian's wife Jan. (Even if she it turns out she is a member of the HLP, she's just a face in the crowd and doesn't deserve any special "attention". The same goes for Byron's parents and brothers.) Rebecca has defended Kevin and his bullshit and seems to be in complete agreement with him, so she's a partner in crime and fair game in my book. Kevin's uncle, Mike Anderson, seems like he is genuinely a nice person, but Kevin's having positioned him as webmaster at Dune Novels, along with the overall uninspired design of the site and occasional flub and fook up, plop him securely in the target range as well. I took a few potshots at Kim Herbert when she showed up over on MySpace, but she also seems like a really nice person (poor dear can't spell for shit, but there are people for whom we are willing to overlook that fault, eh Sloey. ;) Sorry, Simon :P ), and while she is devoted to and defends her father as a person, she doesn't get into the book discussions, that I've noticed, so I'm content to leave her alone.

Finally, in answer to your question, Sloey, yes, someone has a pic of Byron and his wife. From their wedding day, in fact. But no one other than the person it was sent to has or ever will see it.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Couldn't agree more. Civilians should be left out of this.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

that was uncalled for. :cry:
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oooh, Barack Obryan gets nasty! :lol:

Anyway, in light of posts above, this probably needs to be said:

YO, BALLLESS WONDER BYRON! NAME ONE FH INCONSISTENCY THAT WE DON'T ACKNOWLEDGE AS SUCH. NAME ONE THAT WE'VE IGNORED OR TRIED TO TIDILY EXPLAIN AWAY WITH EXCUSES AS LAME AS THOSE ON YOUR SITE FAQ PAGE OR SPEWED OUT BY KJA, YOUR REAL BOSS!

Fucking tool. :evil:

(Susie Wong say, he spar with straw men, waving paper tiger.)
Schu

Post by Schu »

I decided to post in reply:

Can we please, as a community, move past this kind of idea, the "OMG if this was in KJA/BH's work you'd be screaming blue murder" thing?

The truth of it, at least for me is:

If I saw an error of a similar nature in KJA/FH's work, I would be disappointed, just as I am with it being in FH's work (OK I admit, maybe a little more, but only because KJA/FH have made such a big deal about how there are no mistakes and they've gone to such lengths to avoid them.

However, in my opinion, it is not the existence of mistakes that worries OHians, it is the sheer amount and the scale of the mistakes that worries us. The FH mistakes you can find are quite minor and usually have possible explanations. The KJA/FH ones are numerous, easily avoidable and really quite big (often, just plain old changing the story to suit their needs).

We aren't criticising any authors for making mistakes (notice that I started this thread and am an OHian), we are criticising KJA/BH for the amount, size and avoidability of these mistakes.

So can we please move on??
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Did you mean to start a new thread here?)

You gets bonus points for NOT using OH'ers or some similarly uncouth variation thereof! :D

(Of course, as an Ohioan, "OHian" is going to throw me for a while.... :lol: )

Complete agreement. It's the number and quality of mistakes and intentional "creative" changes that's the problem, along with the usually simplistic and implausible "explanations" provided after people complain. And the attitude that we should just accept them because they (=KJA) say so.
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

SandChigger wrote:(Did you mean to start a new thread here?)

You gets bonus points for NOT using OH'ers or some similarly uncouth variation thereof! :D

humm,

if the word is "Orthodox Herbertarian" (OH), why the plural couldn't be OHs?

(Orthodox HerbertarianS) (???)
Last edited by Lisan Al-Gaib on 19 Dec 2008 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Schu wrote:I decided to post in reply:

Can we please, as a community, move past this kind of idea, the "OMG if this was in KJA/BH's work you'd be screaming blue murder" thing?
If you're asking them, you're asking the wrong community :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Schu

Post by Schu »

GamePlayer wrote:

It used to be the right community (with only a few bad seeds) but I'm out of touch with it I guess, so it could well have changed.
Schu

Post by Schu »

SandChigger wrote:(Did you mean to start a new thread here?)

Complete agreement. It's the number and quality of mistakes and intentional "creative" changes that's the problem, along with the usually simplistic and implausible "explanations" provided after people complain. And the attitude that we should just accept them because they (=KJA) say so.
Nope, but maybe I should have made a new thread in DN. But I posted in this thread because it was about the same thread that the rest of this thread is about, and was posted to it.

OHian seems pretty logical to me :) O(rthodox )H(erbertar)ian!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:if the word is "Orthodox Herbertarian" (OH), why the plural couldn't be OHs?

(Orthodox HerbertarianS) (???)
That, my friend, would make too much sense. :lol:

(I think/hope he used "OHian(s)" to point out how stupid "OH'er" is. ;) )

Now, what's this about tits on my antennae? I usually have them on my mind.... :P
Last edited by SandChigger on 19 Dec 2008 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

SandRider wrote:GODDAMNIT! SOMEBODY TAKE MY KEYBOARD AWAY !

I fucking typoed the fucking topic title, and I know DAMN WELL
that can't be fixed ! FUUUCK !

Omph, delete this whole ill-advised drunken trhead, and I'll try again later
I participate in quite a few php boards where as the topic starter you can
edit your original subject line. Is that not possible here?
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Schu wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:

It used to be the right community (with only a few bad seeds) but I'm out of touch with it I guess, so it could well have changed.
To be fair, Dumbnovels never was the right community and never could it be. It was always an official HLP website and it was always compromised. It's just that for a while, we were able to voice ourselves on the board and the HLP/Byron at least made a good go at pretending they didn't have a profit motive for the sake of their fans. That's one reason why I joined the boards after lurking for a few weeks and violated my own rule about joining official websites.

However, once all pretense was dropped, well, the board lost what little credibility it had. This happens to most official websites, which is why you've often heard me spout off "official websites suck; fansites have always been where it's at". It's true for Dune, it was true before Dune and it'll be true after Dune. Just the way the internet works.
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

GamePlayer wrote:
Schu wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:

To be fair, Dumbnovels never was the right community and never could it be. It was always an official HLP website and it was always compromised. It's just that for a while, we were able to voice ourselves on the board and the HLP/Byron at least made a good go at pretending they didn't have a profit motive for the sake of their fans. That's one reason why I joined the boards after lurking for a few weeks and violated my own rule about joining official websites.

However, once all pretense was dropped, well, the board lost what little credibility it had. This happens to most official websites, which is why you've often heard me spout off "official websites suck; fansites have always been where it's at". It's true for Dune, it was true before Dune and it'll be true after Dune. Just the way the internet works.
Right. Now you have Byron, KJA's whipping boy, banning people for simply pointing out the inconsistencies and mistakes in his idol's books.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Baraka Bryan wrote:it's titallated you tit!
It most certainly has not. Either one of them. :shock:

I can tell because they get "pert" when they've been titillated. ;)
Schu

Post by Schu »

GamePlayer wrote:
Schu wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:

Ah well. At least we had some fun times :)
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Schu wrote:Ah well. At least we had some fun times :)
"Enjoy it, while it lasts.
The very words I live by
"

:)