Chapter 46

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 46

Post by Freakzilla »

When you think to take determination of your fate into your own hands, that is
the moment you can be crushed. Be cautious. Allow for surprises. When we
create, there are always other forces at work.

-Darwi Odrade

Duncan sows unrest through the Bene Gesserits on the no-ship by talking about Murbella’s dangerous course to the comeys. Sheeana talks them into scattering, they feel Murbella is subverting the Bene Gesserit, and Duncan gives her the key to flight control. They take-off from Chapterhouse and Duncan sees the old couple in a projection of the ship’s circuits, the old man says, “We expected you.” Duncan begins erasing the ship’s memory and the old man’s face shows a look of surprise. The old couple and The Net disappear when he erases the star memory and his own data. They emerge from fold space and Duncan doesn’t recognize any of the star patterns. Sheeana is angry about him erasing the data but Duncan indicates that he still has it in his head. He says they are an unidentifiable ship in an unidentifiable universe, isn’t that what they wanted?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Leto Atreides II

Re: Chapter 46

Post by Leto Atreides II »

From Wikipedia's entry on Chapterhouse: Dune:
Murbella's ascension to the leadership of the Honored Matres and the Bene Gesserit is not accepted as victory by all the Bene Gesserit. Some feel that she will suborn the spirit of the Bene Gesserit and many worry that her plan of merging the two orders is doomed to failure. Some then decide to flee Chapterhouse, notably Sheeana, who has a vision of her own. They ask Duncan if he wishes to join them, and upon his agreement escape in the giant no-ship, with Scytale, Teg and the Jews from Gammu still aboard. Murbella recognizes their plan at the last minute, but is powerless to stop them, realizing at the same time that Duncan's departure solves many problems for her. Watching this escape with interest are Daniel and Marty, the observers Duncan had been having visions of, who by all indications are independent Face Dancers.

The story ends on a cliffhanger with several questions left unanswered regarding the merging of the Honored Matres and Bene Gesserit, the fates of those on the escaped no-ship (including the role of Scytale, the development of Idaho and Teg, and the role of the Jews), the identity of the god-like characters in the book's final chapter and the ultimate mystery of what chased the Honored Matres back into the Old Empire.
I'm trying to ascertain who-all is aboard the no-ship when it escapes, and of those aboard, which ones are invisible to prescience. (I'm in a bit of a spot because my copy of the book is a few thousand kilometers away at the moment.) Sheeana obviously was a descendant of Siona, and thus one of those who fade from the prescient vision. Teg would have been another. Duncan was in a grey area, correct? I seem to recall they weren't sure if he'd be visible or not. Or was he definitely visible? I doubt the Jews would have the Atreides genes.
Only fools prefer the past!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Guess again:
"There is a Guild Navigator on Gammu helping the search for you," he said. "It is one of the Edrics, very powerful, I am told."

"I have Siona blood. He cannot see me." [SC: Lucilla speaking]

"Nor me nor any of my people and for the same reason. We Jews adjust to many necessities, you know."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Leto Atreides II wrote:Duncan was in a grey area, correct? I seem to recall they weren't sure if he'd be visible or not. Or was he definitely visible?
Correct. Some of his cells has it, some don't.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Hence his imprisonment in the No-Ship.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

No revisions.
~Pink Snowman