Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 27

Post by Freakzilla »

Humans are born with a susceptibility to that most persistent and debilitating
disease of intellect: self-deception. The best of all possible worlds and the
worst get their dramatic coloration from it. As nearly as we can determine,
there is no natural immunity. Constant alertness is required.

-The Coda

Bellonda takes the opportunity while Odrade is on her inspection tour to go to the no-ship to kill Duncan. She finds him at his console looking at the no-ship's operational schematics. Duncan opens a door behind him and young Teg enters and stands next to him. Bell wants to know what secrets he and Sheeana are hiding, he says she uses him the way they want her to. She asks why Murbella isn't here to protect him, he points out that Teg is better protection. He'd never serve them if he witness her killing Duncan. He admits that he's a Tlielaxu experiment but he's not a Kwisatz Haderach, he just has memories of all his former lives. He calls her a hypocrite and asks why her sisters tolerate her. Possible to strenthen them. Duncan insists that they need his inventive imagination, it's only a matter of time before the Honored Matres come. He tells her that the Reverend Mothers they send out into The Scattering are actually feeding the Honored Matres. She begins to suspect that maybe he is the tool that could free them. She decides it's wrong to keep information from a mind such as his. She starts to leave and he suggest that the Honored Matres could be a relatively small group. They could have come back to the Old Empire as a place to hide and regroup. He suggest the he and Murbella be allowed to work on Scytale and that there may be a hidden ability to se no-fields in the Atreides genes. He also alerts her to Sheeana's immunity to sexual imprinting. Bell underestimated Duncan's value and fact that she wanted to kill him dismays her. As she's leaving, Duncan tells her that Murbella knows nothing of Futars hunting and killing Honored Matres.

After Bell leaves, Duncan thanks Teg for being there and remaining quiet, if not for Teg she may have killed him because they fear he might be like Paul or Leto II. He feels he's achieved nothing more than a reprieve and a new relationship with the Sisters, maybe that will keep him alive for a while longer. The sisters are in his school now. He goes to Murbella's quarters to meet her when she finishes practicing. He tells her that they expect him to help create a new religion around Sheeeana, that he is to be a willing participant, and he is to act as their conscience. He tells her about his encounter with Bell, she says that she'll never cooperate with them if she harms Duncan. They have sex in the shower.
Freakzilla

Re: Chapter 27

Post by Freakzilla »

Revised
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
distrans

Post by distrans »

an amazing encounter,
how much duncan reveals to bell reveals what threat he was under

i cant find threads discussing it
what have i missed?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

distrans wrote:an amazing encounter,
how much duncan reveals to bell reveals what threat he was under

i cant find threads discussing it
what have i missed?
This is it, go!

(No spoilers)
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman