Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 13

Post by Freakzilla »

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them
intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you
become totally ignorant.

-Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Odrade goes to dine with the acolytes and their proctors. She does this periodically to judge the true state of Chapterhouse. This can't be deducted through the masks of full sister but can by the acolytes. While eating, she decides to go visit Sheeana and prepare her to take Tamalane's place on her council. The Acolyte seated next to her clears her throat a couple of times then finally gathers enough courage to speak to Mother Superior. She's making the map for Odrade's quarters, and has submitted a report on the orchards around central to her, either action must be taken to save the orchards or they must be abandoned to the approaching desert. Odrade asks her to repeat the report verbatim, which she does. While thinking of a response, simulflow intrudes with memories of her thopter training with an inept acolyte who nearly kills them. The instructor grounds her and she asks Odrade to tell him to let her try. She remembers a joke written on a bathroom mirror, "Silence is often the best thing to say". She decides to respond with humor and asks the acolyte in the dinning hall how she would like to be a horse. She doesn't understand and Odrade asks her how her meal was. Strerggi doesn't think it was horse and Odrade laughs, for which she is thankfull. She explains that she wants her to carry a child on her shoulders and to report to her quarters the next morning. Odrade decides it's time for Duncan to awaken the ghola Teg's memories.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Chapter 13

Post by SandChigger »

USUL! We have chopstick-sign!
Even the way they conveyed food to their mouths said something. Where did the eyes go as the chopsticks progressed mouthward? Was it a quick stab and a rapid chew before a convulsive swallow? That was a one to watch. She was brewing upsets. And that thoughtful one over there who looked at each mouthful as though wondering how they hid the poison in such slop? A creative mind behind those eyes. Test her for a more sensitive position.
;)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:USUL! We have chopstick-sign!
Even the way they conveyed food to their mouths said something. Where did the eyes go as the chopsticks progressed mouthward? Was it a quick stab and a rapid chew before a convulsive swallow? That was a one to watch. She was brewing upsets. And that thoughtful one over there who looked at each mouthful as though wondering how they hid the poison in such slop? A creative mind behind those eyes. Test her for a more sensitive position.
;)
That doesn't count, the BG are all Atreides. :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

A-ha!
:lol:
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Just because they all have the Siona gene, isn't it a bit much to say they're all Atreides?
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Doesn't Teg notice in Heretics of Dune that lots of people have Atreides features (and of course the Siona gene) and some get 'lucky' with the gene lottery and have all of them? Apparently the Atreides got around.

Also, the Bene Gesserit are always watching that none of their people develop Atreides-like talents.

Those might reduce the stretch a little.

If they all have the Siona gene, courtesy of being a descendent of Siona, apart from gene-splicing, which the BG don't like, how would they not be Atreides?
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

"There's a great interest in Archives lately," Bellonda said. "Sisters who know
better come looking for confirmation -- whether such and so acolyte has a heavy
Siona gene-mark."
Odrade found this interesting. Their common Atreides ancestor from the Tyrant's
eons, Siona Ibn Fuad al-Seyefa Atreides, had imparted to her descendants this
ability that hid them from prescient searchers. Every person walking openly on
Chapterhouse shared that ancestral protection.

At least all the BG on Chapterhouse were.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

We're all descended from Mitochondrial Eve. So that makes us all Africans, right?

:roll:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:We're all descended from Mitochondrial Eve. So that makes us all Africans, right?

:roll:
It makes us related to an ancestor from Africa.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

So on the census forms you put down that you have African ancestry? ;)
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I once heard a fellow standing on a soap box preaching about how we are all related at least as thirteenth cousins.
Didn't stay to see why, never spent any thought on it, maybe now i'll be able to forget it.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:So on the census forms you put down that you have African ancestry? ;)
I hid when the census lady came and my wife talked to her. However, if asked, my race is Earthling. :D
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

So ... what does being Atreides have to do with chopsticks?

:?

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Hunchback Jack wrote:So ... what does being Atreides have to do with chopsticks?

:?

HBJ
viewtopic.php?f=10&p=82222#p82222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now back to your regularly scheduled reading group chapter.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandChigger wrote:So on the census forms you put down that you have African ancestry? ;)

You think it's ridiculous, but I actually did this. Show those basterds to ask me where I'm from ancestrally. :wink:

I put Africa for "Country of Ethnic Origin" or somesuch goofy questions.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

No revisions
~Pink Snowman