Chapter 23

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 23

Post by Freakzilla »

Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more
than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old
routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept.
Who enjoys appearing inept?

-A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archives

Taraza is in her workroom trying to decide what to do about Odrade's request for military assistance on Rakis. Looking at the reports on her desk, she decides she hates archives and their dependance on mentats and computers. The Sisterhood can't make a move without consulting archives. They have been keeping their main breeding lines in computers since the Butlerian Jihad. With Teg missing she decides to call up Burzmalli, but not in the way Odrade has requestied. He'll be sent to Gammu. She's playing a hunch but it is the unexpected. She has learned from Teg. The obvious orders for Odrade had already been transmitted. Take Waff into the dessert, force an extreme religious situation and determine if the Tleilaxu are using the ghola process as a form of immortality. She has trust in Odrade but Sheeana and the Worms are the wild card. Odrades observations about the dance language are valuable, even though they don't yet speak it. Odrade must stretch out their plan to give Teg time to communicate with Chapterhouse.
nistle2

Re: Chapter 23

Post by nistle2 »

Taraza's also thinks about killing Odrade in this chapter which took me by surprise. Odrade has been too involved with Taraza's plans and although she hasn't fully realized them Taraza is concerned about Odrade penning the Atreides Manifesto and her observations of the dance language on Rakis - which I have to say is the worst dance ever, a little jiggy followed by group homicide, ouch.

It's surprising to me how quickly the plot moves along in this book. I would've guessed from the first chapters that the Tleilaxu and their plans were the extent of the conflict but now they're being fashioned as allies, which looks to be a major part of Taraza's plans.

The real conflict is in preparing for the return of the Scattered. Who I believe are returning as conquerers although I'm not sure exactly why, and why now. The prevalence of the spice once again has enabled them to travel back or is it the Manifesto that has driven them to jihad for what each of them thinks is their own true religion?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Note that The Scattered don't use the Guild for space travel, hence they have no need for the spice for navigation. ;)

(I don't think that spoils anything. Freak?)
nistle2

Post by nistle2 »

I see, thanks SandChigger.

Awesome name by the way.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Note that The Scattered don't use the Guild for space travel, hence they have no need for the spice for navigation. ;)

(I don't think that spoils anything. Freak?)
Nah, I think that's established either when Waff meets the HM or when Teg saves Taraza... or both. I think it's Teg that points out that the no-ship has a giant IX stamp on the side, meaning it's been fitted with the INM.

I'm not sure at what point in the last two books the reason for the HM return is given, but it is. I think the BG figure it out near the end of this one.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Revised, cleaned.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lakshyasuri

Post by lakshyasuri »

What exactly was written in the Atriedes Manifesto? Did the BG just use it to gain the BT’s favour?

P.S - I am halfway through Heretics of Dune. No spoilers please :)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lakshyasuri wrote:What exactly was written in the Atriedes Manifesto? Did the BG just use it to gain the BT’s favour?

My recipe for Red Beans and Rice
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lakshyasuri wrote:What exactly was written in the Atriedes Manifesto? Did the BG just use it to gain the BT’s favour?

Seriously, nothing. Contents is never revealed. More important is Teg's will
~Pink Snowman
lakshyasuri

Post by lakshyasuri »