Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 04

Post by Freakzilla »

Humans live best when each has his place to stand, when each knows where he
belongs in the scheme of things and what he may achieve. Destroy the place and
you destroy the person.

-Bene Gesserit Teaching

Miles Teg is regretting coming out of retirement to be weapons master to a child Duncan Idaho ghola, but he can't even consider disobeying the Bene Gesserit. He approves of their guiding principals. He recalls the Reverend Mother Superior Taraza coming to his retirement home to call him back to duty and considers what an honor it was for her to come to him personally. She tells him of his mission to restore the original memories of the Idaho ghola and that a girl on Rakis who can control the worms, there will be use for the ghola there. Teg has the feeling he's been prepared for this event his whole life.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Correction: Taraza never confirms for Teg that the plan is to breed. He asks if that's what they plan to do, but she avoids the question by telling him that she's not asking him to be a mentat on the subject, just to be their Bashar. Besides, breeding wasn't part of Taraza'a grand design anyway.

Yeah, I've just begun re-reading Heretics. It's so friggin good! :D
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I'll have to read that part again before I can agree with you. Teg can read Reverend Mothers pretty good, her not answering the question probably said more to him than answering would have.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Hmm there is a lot of sub-conversation in that scene, and even if Teg did draw his own conclusions, Taraza still did not tell him that they plan to breed the Ghola.
Wonder

Teg/Taraza

Post by Wonder »

Funny, this is my favorite scene in the entire series.

It set the stage for Teg's place in the overall plan and allowed us to see how Taraza approaches the request or order, whatever, with the only male she knows can't be manipulated. He had to see his value in the eyes of the BG and make a decision to participate or to go back to his gardening. He makes an unconscious (yes-not sub) mentat summation.

He chooses both. He becomes one of the gardeners of mankind; a BG male without Other Memory, the only one in the entire story, except for perhaps the ineffectual Farad'n.
If you act like an idiot, I'm going to kick your arse.
www.therantreport.com
Freakzilla

Re: Chapter 04

Post by Freakzilla »

Revised.

I took out the bit about the BG planing to breed the girl on Rakis with Idaho and said only that he is to be used there.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman