Chapter 46

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 46

Post by Freakzilla »

It required almost a thousand years before the dust of Dune's old planet-wide
desert left the atmosphere to be bound up in soil and water. The wind called
sandblaster has not been seen on Arrakis for some twenty-five hundred years.
Twenty billion tons of dust could be carried suspended in the wind of just one
of those storms. The sky often had a silvery look to it then. Fremen said: "The
desert is a surgeon cutting away the skin to expose what's underneath." The
planet and the people had layers. You could see them. My Sareer is but a weak
echo of what was. I must be the sandblaster today.

-The Stolen Journals

Moneo stands before Leto, who is amused that he sent Duncan and Siona away without asking him. Leto reduces Moneo to the brink of tears, as usual then tells him he has decided to change the location of his wedding from Tabr to Tuono.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Re: Chapter 46

Post by Freakzilla »

No revisions.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Why did Leto change the wedding location?
~Pink Snowman
JasterMereel

Post by JasterMereel »

Freakzilla wrote:Why did Leto change the wedding location?
I like to think it was because he knew of Siona and Duncan's continued hatred of him and wanted to see what his being there would perpetuate. I personally believe Leto assumed an assassination was going to occur, without consulting his oracular vision (he always made a point to mention he never consulted visions of his death). I think he made the switch gambling with his life, having known the no-room technology was being spread as a result of his assault on Ix with a battalion of Fish Speakers (and Anteac). Don't forget the Bene Tleilax and the Guild participate in that excursion as well, all but guaranteeing that the technology will become commonplace.

Knowing full well people without the Siona gene can hide from oracular vision, coupled with the knowledge of said Siona gene being inevitably spread gave Leto the confidence to roll the dice on that ultimate surprise.
stilgarr

Post by stilgarr »

Why is Leto so afraid of Malky? Is Malky and the Ixians coming to destroy him with technology (hunter seeker)?
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote: 05 Aug 2012 06:05 Why did Leto change the wedding location?
I think it was because he needed to be near water when he died. Even though he didn't know when and how he would die from his oracle he must have deducted that an attempt on his life could be made and so he picked a place that if he indeed might die it was near water and he would dissolve and sandtrout could survive.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Serkanner wrote: 26 Dec 2022 14:04
I think it was because he needed to be near water when he died. Even though he didn't know when and how he would die from his oracle he must have deducted that an attempt on his life could be made and so he picked a place that if he indeed might die it was near water and he would dissolve and sandtrout could survive.
He needed it to be where his death was. His assassins. I know he said He didn't know and all that but GEoD is how Leto II plans his own death. He has other powers besides prescience.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote: 09 Feb 2023 00:14
Serkanner wrote: 26 Dec 2022 14:04
He needed it to be where his death was. His assassins. I know he said He didn't know and all that but GEoD is how Leto II plans his own death. He has other powers besides prescience.
In God-Emperor of Dune Leto has this thought after he changed the wedding location and after Moneo send Duncan and Siona to Tuono village as well:

What a long drop that would be out there-just roll off the landing-lip. He doubted that even his body would survive it. But there was no water in the sand beneath his tower and he could feel the Golden Path winking in and out of existence merely because he allowed himself to think of such an end.

The Golden path ends if Leto dies at the place void of water. Leto changes the location of the wedding after Moneo told him he send Duncan, Siona and Nayla to Tuono. And on the route to Tuono the procession will cross the bridge of the river Idaho. Leto does this because he expects an attempt on his life. Wheels within wheel are in motion which will move towards Leto's death and Leto knows the only way to make sure the Golden Path will continue is his own death; so he sets the stage for it to happen.

Hints about this are:

(Siona during her test in the desert) He saw the flame of rebellion return to her eyes. She did not have to feel guilty or dependent. She no longer could avoid belief in his Golden Path, but what difference did that make? His cruelties could not be forgiven! She could reject him, deny him a place in her family. He was not a human, not like her at all. And she possessed the secret of his undoing! Ring him with water, destroy his desert, immobilize him within a moat of agony!
(Leto)Did she think she hid her thoughts from him by turning away? And what can I do about it? he wondered. She must live now while I must demonstrate nonviolence.

Idaho looked around at the brightly lighted workroom, turned his gaze to the outside darkness and thought about the tamed course of the Idaho River somewhere out there. Bringing his attention back to Moneo, he asked: "What do you know of rivers?"

And here is the hint that the Golden path will continue and Leto is not longer needed for the continuation of the Golden Path:

(Moneo)"Vanished . . . from you, Lord? Do you mean that the lxians..."
"They have improved upon a device they gave me long ago. They improved it slowly and subtly, hidden shells within hidden shells, but I noted the shadows. I was surprised. I was pleased."
Moneo thought about this. A device which concealed . . . Ahhh! The God Emperor had mentioned a thing on several occasions, a way of concealing the thoughts he recorded.
Moneo spoke: "And Malky brings the secret of. . ."
"Oh, yes! But that is not Malky's real secret. He holds another thing in his bosom which he does not think that I suspect."
"Another . . . but, Lord, if they can hide even from you. . ."
"Many can do that now, Moneo. They scattered when my Fish Speakers attacked. The secret of the lxian device is spread far and wide."
Moneo's eyes went wide with alarm. "Lord, if anyone..."
"If they learn to be clever, they will leave no tracks," Leto said.

I had almost forgotten about this one:

(Moneo)"He has not tried to breed with Siona, if that is my Lord's. . .
"But what does he do with my puppet Naib, Garun, and the other Museum Fremen?"
"He speaks to them of the old ways, of the wars against the Harkonnens, of the first Atreides here on Arrakis."
"On Dune!"
"Dune, yes."
"It's because there's no more Dune that there are no more Fremen," Leto said.

Duncan is teaching the people to become Fremen again. A lesson needed if the people are to survive the return of Dune. For Leto this is another sign he can leave.

Leto has positioned Nayla with Siona and Duncan for one purpose only: to pull the trigger!

"That . . . that is your command for Nayla to continue in absolute and unquestioning obedience of my daughter except insofar. . . Lord! This is
dangerous!"
"Dangerous? Nayla is a Fish Speaker. She will obey me."
"But Siona . . . Lord, I fear that my daughter does not serve you with all of her heart. And Nayla is. . ."
"Nayla must not deviate."
"Lord, let us hold your wedding in some other place."
"No!"
"Lord, I know that your vision has revealed. . ."
"The Golden Path endures, Moneo. You know that as well as I"

This makes me think that Leto perhaps might have taken similar measures during his life in order that if he dies it is near water. We know not about it because it is not mentioned and it also might not been so because Leto knew the time wasn't ripe for his departure yet.

Moneo has just killed Malky:

Moneo will have to bury the body in the sand, Leto thought. There is as yet no worm to come and devour the evidence.

Another example of Leto expecting to die:

(Hwi)"Ahhh, yes." She pirouetted for him then, displaying her new gown. "Do you like it? Your Fish Speakers gave it to me. They decorated it themselves."
"My love," he said, a warning note in his voice, "decoration! That is how you prepare the sacrifice."
She came up to the edge of the cart and leaned on it just below his face, a mock
solemn expression on her lips. "Will they sacrifice me, then?"
"Some of them would like to."
"But you will not permit it."
"Our fates are joined," he said.

Leto recognizes reason to die when with Hwi:

"Between the superhuman and the inhuman," he (Leto) said, "I have had little space in which to be human. I thank you, gentle and lovely Hwi, for this little space."

Leto is dying:

Leto's voice came in wheezing gasps: "Let them scatter, Duncan. Let them run and hide anywhere they want in any universe they choose."
"Damn you! What're you saying? I'd have sooner let her live with you!"
"Let? I did not let anything."

and:

"Do not fear the lxians," he said, and he heard his own voice as a fading whisper. "They can make the machines, but they no longer can make arafel. I
know. I was there."

and:

"He created a new kind of mimesis," she said, "a new biological imitation. He knew he had succeeded. He could not see me in his futures."

Leto chose to die there and then. To make it happen he had to change the location of the wedding.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing I didn't notice before is when Leto is dead we read:

Siona said: "I am different, but still I am what he was."
Idaho spoke in a hushed whisper: "The ancestors, all of. . ."
"The multitude is there but I walk silently among them and no one sees me. The old images are gone and only the essence remains to light his Golden Path."

Does this mean Siona is immune to abomination? Are all "new" Atreides immune as well?
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Serkanner wrote: 10 Feb 2023 06:35 Does this mean Siona is immune to abomination? Are all "new" Atreides immune as well?
She doesn't have Other Memory, he only gave her a taste of what it was like to be him. I think Leto's goal with his breeding program was to bring ancestral memories closer to the consciousness level, but not enough to give them OM or prescience. A latent prescience/OM if you will, to give them better instincts and hide them from other prescients.
He saw the indecision in her. She did not trust her instincts, her untrained
abilities at prediction. She might leap occasionally as she had done when she
took his journals, but the motivation for the leap was lost in the revelation
which followed.
What is the most profound difference between us, between you and me? You already
know it. It's these ancestral memories. Mine come at me in the full glare of
awareness. Yours work from your blind side. Some call it instinct or fate. The
memories apply their leverages to each of us-on what we think and what we do.
You think you are immune to such influences? I am Galileo. I stand here and tell
you: "Yet it moves." That which moves can exert its force in ways no mortal
power ever before dared stem. I am here to dare this.

-The Stolen Journals
Another hint that he was planning his death:
He stared with fascination at Nayla's rigid body. Her eyes were empty of
everything except adoration.
The ultimate rhetorical despotism . . . and I despise it!
"Go then!" he barked.
Nayla turned and fled the Holy Presence.
Is it worth this? Leto wondered.
But Nayla had told him what he needed to know. Nayla had renewed her faith and
revealed with accuracy the thing which Leto could not find in Siona's fading
image. Nayla's instincts were to be trusted.
Siona has reached that explosive moment which I require.
~Pink Snowman