"She fades," -they- said.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

istaivan

"She fades," -they- said.

Post by istaivan »

We should almost do a forum poll on here (if it supports forum polls):
How many people think, when Anteac and Luyseyal are talking about the Navigators, and referring to how they can't see Siona, and say:"
"She fades," they said. "She fades from their sight" and then "She alone."

A. "They" on just that one line, refers to both Reverend Mothers in the conversation, and...
It's Anteac and Luyseyal talking in some sort of weird unison due to some sort of BG sympatico.
Because if you took the way it's punctuated literally, with simple double quotes instead of say single quotes inside double, that's the interpretation you're forced into.

B. "They" refers to the Guild Navigators. This interpretation rests on the idea that having simple double quotes is a transcription error by whoever typeset the paperback.
So it should read " 'She fades,' they said." (note the single quotes added inside, by me)
And then i moved 'they said' inside the outer double quotes.
"She fades from their sight"

(I know full well this is another nitpicky post after the fashion of talking about Muriz being used twice in CoD, but, whatever...)
I've always leaned toward it actually being B, but when I first read it many years ago I read it as A.
I mean tell me that didn't hit you strangely when you -very- first read GEoD. Come on.
Thoughts, folks?

Note: if you want to use your super Moderator powerz and bodily lift this post into the correct chapter number thread, that'd be great.
I wasn't sure which # it would be.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: "She fades," -they- said.

Post by Freakzilla »

B. The reverend mothers weren't prescient so A makes no sense. I don't know why you'd even consider this.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
istaivan

Post by istaivan »

-many- years ago. like decades. I was young and foolish :)
--D
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Agreed with Freak. My question about this passage is more about why the claim is being made that the Navigators can't hide from the oracular eye of the Lord Leto:
"Do you think the Guild is right about this Siona'?" Luyseyal asked.
"I do not have enough information. If they are right, she is something extraordinary."
"As the Lord Leto's father was extraordinary?"
"A Guild navigator could conceal himself from the oracular eye of the Lord Leto's father."
"But not from the Lord Leto."
This last point isn't posed with a question mark, but grammatically it could well be read as still being a question; or positing an idea that they don't know the answer to. And it also doesn't refer to this point as being something the Navigators say, necessarily, but it could be a surmise on the part of Luyseyal. I guess it's worth our asking whether, in fact, Leto II could see Navigators where his father couldn't. Or could it just be that Leto II monitored so many more things than Paul did that he could deduce all the rest without needing prescience to see them.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

We know that Paul could see where navigators had been, could sense their currents, like a big fish moving just under the surface of the water. And we know that Leto's prescience was stronger. I think that Leto could see them like Paul did, but with more resolution. That combined with mentat reasoning, OM...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
distrans

Post by distrans »

that's an extremely
extremely

hard to imagine that

this hurts