Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 18

Post by Freakzilla »

Unceasing warfare gives rise to its own social conditions which have been
similar in all epochs. People enter a permanent state of alertness to ward off
attacks. You see the absolute rule of the autocrat. All new things become
dangerous frontier districts-new planets, new economic areas to exploit, new
ideas or new devices, visitors-everything suspect. Feudalism takes firm hold,
sometimes disguised as a politbureau or similar structure, but always present.
Hereditary succession follows the lines of power. The blood of the powerful
dominates. The vice regents of heaven or their equivalent apportion the wealth.
And they know they must control inheritance or slowly let the power melt away.
Now, do you understand Leto's Peace?

-The Stolen Journals

Leto's peregrination to Onn is nearing the bridge. Leto asks if the Bene Gesserit have been informed of the change in schedule, which Moneo confirms. He has also denied their petition for a permanent embassy, Leto hates their religious pretentions. Religion always leads to rhetorical despotism. It leads to self-fufilling prophecy and justifications for obscenities. It feeds on deliberately twisted meanings to discredit the opposition, which the Jesuits called "securing your power base". Moneo thinks he needs to warn the Bene Gesserit that they are in for a sermon from Leto and they hate that. Talk of religious power makes Moneo nervous because he and the Fish Speakers weild it in Leto's name. Moneo senses that "The Worm" is close and wonders at the purpose of Leto's preaching to him. Leto decides to change the spice allotments, which will bring new offers of bribes to Moneo, which the Corrinos have already done. Leto asks if Moneo knows of the legend that one day a Corrino will be restored to power, which he does. Leto orders Duncan to kill the Corrino as a test. Leto rarely speaks of the spice. Moneo remembers his initiation when Leto lead him blindfolded to his spice hoard. Leto told him it would all be gone one day and there would be great violence. Leto told him that one day he will go back into the sand and he will be the source of spice then. He will produce a new human-sandtrout hybrid that will be a prolific breeder. They will encase all of Dune's moisture again within 300 years and the new worms will have cunning and awareness making the spice more perilous to harvest and keep. Only the hardiest and most brutal will survive. Monoe didn't like that but Leto assures him the alternatives are worse and he will one day learn about those. As Moneo marched beside Leto he realizes he has learned about alternative evils. Leto says that what he desires most are suprises. He hints that Siona may eventually love Duncan. Leto goes on a rant about how his body may have never known love but all the memories are his. He almost runs over Moneo with his cart. Leto warns Moneo that he can't control his worm self, he can only stand back and watch, this could be the death of Moneo. Moneo says he fears the unkown. Leto says he doesn't and demands Moneo tell him why. Moneo realizes his life depends on his answer. He replies that is must be because of his memories, but that is an incomplete answer. He says it's because Leto knows everything and a suprise is something new for him to know. For his wisdom Leto grants Moneo a wish. He wants to bring Siona to the Citadel. Leto warns that this will force him to test her sooner, but Moneo wants her separated from her companions. The Worm seems to have subsided and Moneo regrets granting the Museum-Fremen the right to present their petition on the road ahead, that will surely bring out The Worm again.
Freakzilla

Re: Chapter 18

Post by Freakzilla »

Revised
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
drk_evns

Post by drk_evns »

You said Leto hints at Siona falling in love with Duncan, but I think he meant a different companion.

My interpretation:

Leto hints that Siona would fall in love with a companion (not Duncan) and BREED with Duncan. Moneo wanted to spare her the loss of love based on his own experience, knowing she’d be forced to breed with Duncan. This is why he wishes for her to be separated from her companions when Leto grants him a boon (in addition to wanting to be near her).
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I corrected the epigraph text
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman