Chapter 06

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Chapter 06

Post by Freakzilla »

Sometimes I indulge myself in safaris which no other being may take. I strike inward along the axis of my memories. Like a schoolchild reporting on a vacation trip, I take up my subject. Let it be . . . female intellectuals! I course backward into the ocean which is my ancestors. I am a great winged fish in the depths. The mouth of my awareness opens and I scoop them up! Sometimes... sometimes I hunt out specific persons recorded in our histories. What a private joy to relive the life of such a one while I mock the academic pretentions which supposedly formed a biography.
-The Stolen Journals

Moneo descends into the crypt to meet with Leto and clean up the splattered Duncan Ghola. The crypt creeps him out but Leto finds strength in it. He sees himself as humanity's mosouleum. Leto thinks about how wonderfull Siona is and how everything he's done up until now is justified by her. She fades from his prescient vision yet the Golden Path remains. Leto reveals that Topri is Moneo's spy in Siona's rebelion. Moneo disables the lasgun for Leto to present to the Ixian ambassador. Leto decides to retreat to his tower to morn his Duncan, Moneo infroms him that a new one is already on the way.
nampigai

Re: Chapter 05

Post by nampigai »

one thing I've been thinking of is - does Moneo have other memory? If not - then why? Ghanima had it wouldn't she have passed it on?
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

He may have had the capacity but he never underwent the Agony and wasn't preborn.
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

@inhuin - I may have overseen something, but what about children of preborns? Will they be preborn as well? If so then Moneo and Siona should be preborn. That's what's bugging me.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Being Preborn is a reaction to an external stimuli, the Water of life in the case of Jessica and the huge amounts of Melange that Chani was consuming during her pregnancy to counteract the contraceptive/abortive poison that was being administered to her. The reaction is not a congenital condition but the ability to possibly survive the poison of the Water of Life or huge Melange saturation is.
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

inhuien wrote:Being Preborn is a reaction to an external stimuli, the Water of life in the case of Jessica and the huge amounts of Melange that Chani was consuming during her pregnancy to counteract the contraceptive/abortive poison that was being administered to her. The reaction is not a congenital condition but the ability to possibly survive the poison of the Water of Life or huge Melange saturation is.

I forgot about the whole Chani/Irulan affair, it's in the mini's aswell, I must have slept through it the other day when I saw them!

Thanks mate, I've been pulling my hair out by their roots to find the solution!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Chapter 06

Post by Freakzilla »

Revised, clean.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
georgiedenbro

Re: Chapter 06

Post by georgiedenbro »

GEoD wrote:Moneo returned to a point below Leto, holding the disabled lasgun casually in his right hand. "There is talk on Parella and the planets of Dan about another jihad against such things as this."
Moneo lifted the lasgun and smiled, signaling that he knew the paradox in such empty dreams.
Leto closed his eyes. The hordes within wanted to argue, but he shut them off, thinking: Jihads create armies. The Butlerian Jihad tried to rid our universe of machines which simulate the mind of man. The Butlerians left armies in their wake and the lxians still make questionable devices . . . for which I thank them. What is anathema? The motivation to ravage, no matter the instruments.
"It happened," he muttered.
"Lord?"
Leto opened his eyes. "I will go to my tower," he said. "I must have more time to mourn my Duncan."
Does anyone have any idea what Leto means by "it happened"? I've had to think about it for a while, and my best answer so far is that Leto has linked in his thoughts the idea of anathema and what Duncan must have been thinking that led him to overcome his Atreides loyalty and try to kill Leto. After all, that loyalty was so strong that the predisposition to protect Atreides is how the Tleilaxu awakened Duncan's memories in the first place. To overcome that loyalty and kill an Atreides must mean that such an Atreides had become absolute anathema to him. So my guess is that "it happened" refers to the fact that Duncan must have been in contact with a rebellion (Siona's) and they must have turned him. He was wondering about Siona and Duncan previously, his immediate reaction at the time being "No!" to that thought, but I think maybe now he just realized some kind of union between Siona and Duncan did happen.

Has anyone else come to a different conclusion?
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"