Seraphan

Image
    Use this forum to test avatars, signatures or whatever

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

User avatar
E. LeGuille
Posts: 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2009 02:22

Seraphan

Postby E. LeGuille » 21 Sep 2009 23:03

Noticed your Batou avatar, and just had to congratulate you on taste.

Ghost in the Shell's Batou, is the best. I prefer Motoko at times, I think it's a toss up between him and her as characters. He really does remind me of Duke Nukem :p. 1995's original movie was probably my favorite of them all. Have you seen the new Solid State Society movie?
Image
Long Live the Fighters.

User avatar
Seraphan
Posts: 749
Joined: 03 Jul 2008 08:36
Location: Right Behind You!
Contact:

Re: Seraphan

Postby Seraphan » 22 Sep 2009 07:11

I havent yet because i havent finished watching the Stand Alone Complex series, i love the two movies and the new version of the first as well. I've also read the manga and tried reading Man-Machine Interface but, at least in the first bits, it's just filled with technobabble that passes right over me and when there are pages filled with it, it puts me off.
Image
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1184
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: Seraphan

Postby Redstar » 22 Sep 2009 07:22

(Jumping into this thread feels weird...)

I've watched nearly the entire Stand-Alone Complex season, save a few episodes here and there... Mostly drawn in by the constant Salinger references, even though the basic premise of the series disgusts me. Seen a bit of 2nd Gig, but I had to wait until the airings started over so I could watch from the beginning. So far the only improvement from the first season are the return of the Tachikomas and that Major is no longer constantly in a thigh-popping one-piece.

Have yet to watch the films.

User avatar
SandRider
Watermaster
Posts: 6163
Joined: 05 Oct 2008 16:14
Location: In the back of your mind. Always.
Contact:

Re: Seraphan

Postby SandRider » 22 Sep 2009 11:28

y'all are talking about Japanese cartoons, right ?

{not making fun here, just trying to keep up ....}
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008

User avatar
Seraphan
Posts: 749
Joined: 03 Jul 2008 08:36
Location: Right Behind You!
Contact:

Re: Seraphan

Postby Seraphan » 22 Sep 2009 11:40

Yep, except these are actually good and not the masturbatory crap that floods the market.
Image
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Seraphan

Postby SandChigger » 22 Sep 2009 13:14

Redstar wrote:even though the basic premise of the series disgusts me

Clarify?

User avatar
Apjak
Posts: 518
Joined: 30 Jun 2008 12:06
Location: Kansas City

Re: Seraphan

Postby Apjak » 22 Sep 2009 15:21

Just gotta post here quickly about does anyone else (who has seen the Ghost in the Shell film) notice how much stylistically, not just thematically the Matrix borrowed from it.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1184
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: Seraphan

Postby Redstar » 22 Sep 2009 17:34

SandChigger wrote:
Redstar wrote:even though the basic premise of the series disgusts me

Clarify?

Some people have cybernetics, which is okay, but other people have "fully-body transplants", which is when they replace their entire body, brain and all, with a robot for either medical or personal reasons. These people are still treated as humans, which I don't understand how their past sets them apart from other robots that have AI, but weren't humans. (Though I suppose the constant use of the word "ghost" implies a soul is still present, somehow, but that must be explained in the films/manga)

Apjak wrote:Just gotta post here quickly about does anyone else (who has seen the Ghost in the Shell film) notice how much stylistically, not just thematically the Matrix borrowed from it.

From what I read the Wachowskis approached the film studio with a copy of the Ghost in the Shell manga and said "We want to make a movie version of this." I'd have to say that the Matrix is arguably either the most blatant rip-off in movies today, or just simply a poor mash-up of several sources.

User avatar
Seraphan
Posts: 749
Joined: 03 Jul 2008 08:36
Location: Right Behind You!
Contact:

Re: Seraphan

Postby Seraphan » 22 Sep 2009 17:43

Ghosts are, what i see as, the cybernetic version of what in your human brain is responsible for your personality.
Image
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood

User avatar
E. LeGuille
Posts: 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2009 02:22

Re: Seraphan

Postby E. LeGuille » 22 Sep 2009 18:49

Ghosts are supposed to be the personality, or complex idiosyncratic things made up a personality. It's often viewed that those, like Section. 9, who have full body transplants like Kusanagi, are invaluable, because they do not only exist on the human world, but also as a personality among the 'Net. The whole problem with this, though, is that if you watch 2nd Gig, you realize that Kusanagi is rare, as is her counterpart, because they were full-body transplants at a very young age. Kusangi isat rare because since she was one of the first, she kept her old full-body doll. She has several, several of these dolls around, and the fact that in essence, she cannot die since she lives among the 'Net, and among humans physically, and digitally. Cybernetic enhancements bring along a whole different realm of elitism, and racism, and the show, while showing in "The Laughing Man" campaign, shows that everything can be manipulated somehow by something, "Stand Alone Complex" shows us that the theory of individualism still generates a group think, and it is revealed much later that some things that are planted among the internet, are not always what we think they are. I don't want to ruin too much of SAC, but the Individual 11 exist due to a malfunction, and a pre-existant condition.
Image
Long Live the Fighters.

User avatar
Seraphan
Posts: 749
Joined: 03 Jul 2008 08:36
Location: Right Behind You!
Contact:

Re: Seraphan

Postby Seraphan » 22 Sep 2009 19:05

E. LeGuille wrote:Ghosts are supposed to be the personality, or complex idiosyncratic things made up a personality. It's often viewed that those, like Section. 9, who have full body transplants like Kusanagi, are invaluable, because they do not only exist on the human world, but also as a personality among the 'Net. The whole problem with this, though, is that if you watch 2nd Gig, you realize that Kusanagi is rare, as is her counterpart, because they were full-body transplants at a very young age. Kusangi isat rare because since she was one of the first, she kept her old full-body doll. She has several, several of these dolls around, and the fact that in essence, she cannot die since she lives among the 'Net, and among humans physically, and digitally. Cybernetic enhancements bring along a whole different realm of elitism, and racism, and the show, while showing in "The Laughing Man" campaign, shows that everything can be manipulated somehow by something, "Stand Alone Complex" shows us that the theory of individualism still generates a group think, and it is revealed much later that some things that are planted among the internet, are not always what we think they are. I don't want to ruin too much of SAC, but the Individual 11 exist due to a malfunction, and a pre-existant condition.

well you've gotten my interest in the series riled up again, thanks. :dance:
Image
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood

User avatar
E. LeGuille
Posts: 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2009 02:22

Re: Seraphan

Postby E. LeGuille » 22 Sep 2009 23:25

I have respected those who did the English versions of GITS, but lately there has been a paradigm shift in America. There seems to be a big move to make cartoons from Japan, or anime -- whatever, completely as they were intended with only subtitles to add. I don't know if you've ever seen Crouch Tiger, Hidden Dragon, but when I saw it in theaters originally, the subs were so much richer, and meaningful -- the nuances and syntax were amazing. But dubs ruin everything. Same thing with Brotherhood of the Wolf, the French version, was amazing. When I saw it originally without english dubs, it was exceptional, and rich.

English in the media is a summarizing language. It's sad.
Image
Long Live the Fighters.

User avatar
SadisticCynic
Posts: 2012
Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
Location: In Time or in Space?

Re: Seraphan

Postby SadisticCynic » 23 Sep 2009 07:07

I've seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; definitely better with subs.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Seraphan

Postby SandChigger » 23 Sep 2009 09:17

Redstar wrote:Some people have cybernetics, which is okay, but other people have "fully-body transplants", which is when they replace their entire body, brain and all, with a robot for either medical or personal reasons. These people are still treated as humans, which I don't understand how their past sets them apart from other robots that have AI, but weren't humans. (Though I suppose the constant use of the word "ghost" implies a soul is still present, somehow, but that must be explained in the films/manga)

:roll:

Carbo-corpo-centrist. :naughty: :snooty:

Who are you to decide what's human? :laughing:

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1184
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: Seraphan

Postby Redstar » 23 Sep 2009 12:42

Considering the show takes place not even a hundred years into the future I'm just irked society has accepted it so fast. The rate technology advances hasn't equaled to human acceptance in the past. It's more this huge, unquestioned acceptance that disgusts me because it seems so unrealistic.

User avatar
E. LeGuille
Posts: 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2009 02:22

Re: Seraphan

Postby E. LeGuille » 23 Sep 2009 22:14

The acceptance of the internet took very little time, and has revolutionized the world's information use, as well as the world's commonality.

full-body prosthetics are not that common. People pierce themselves. That's pretty well accepted nowadays. Everything is accepted, so the next step in body modification is only a few years away. Hell, I'm surprised you didn't raise the issue about the show being centered in Japan, and America being an Imperialist nation currently invading Mexico doesn't bother you. Or how the Japanese nullified American nukes by developing nano-machines that eat radiation. Or how it predicted that America's economy would cause it to take a steep turn for the left, and how it would be a serious issue in thier relationship with the world where Japan was the main power.
Image
Long Live the Fighters.

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1184
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: Seraphan

Postby Redstar » 23 Sep 2009 22:25

There's a big difference between browsing information and uploading your entire existence into a possibly soulless machine. You'll note that tattoos, piercings, and prosthetics have been around for centuries in some cultures and thousands of years in others. In every instance they were for religious or spiritual purposes, while Ghost in the Shell completely ignores religion. People who don't get full-body prosthetics or even minor enhancements, like Tleilaxu eyes, are considered eccentric. I can't see that realistically happening without at least one war. (Note that the Internet does get heat even now on issues of pornography, child pornography, cyber terrorism, bullying, identity theft, and just plain being an outlet. Many people have called for it to be either heavily censored or unplugged)

All the other things, besides radiation eating nano-machines, seem perfectly plausible to me. While none of them may not entirely come true, the representation of America pretty clearly reflects how this nation is perceived by others. It's just an exaggeration that makes Japanese viewers nod in understanding while American viewers laugh in disbelief.

User avatar
E. LeGuille
Posts: 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2009 02:22

Re: Seraphan

Postby E. LeGuille » 23 Sep 2009 22:32

Redstar wrote:There's a clear difference between browsing information and uploading your memories into a robot without any organic parts. You'll note that tattoos, piercings, and prosthetics have been around for centuries in some cultures and thousands of years in others. In every instance they were for religious or spiritual purposes, while Ghost in the Shell completely ignores religion. People who don't get full-body prosthetics or even minor enhancements, like Tleilaxu eyes, are considered eccentric. I can't see that realistically happening without at least one war.

All the other things, besides radiation eating nano-machines, seem perfectly plausible to me. While none of them may not entirely come true, the representation of America pretty clearly reflects how this nation is perceived by others. It's just an exaggeration that makes Japanese viewers nod in understanding while American viewers laugh in disbelief.


Well, that's your opinion. It is very popular in the U.S., despite the 'laughing' everyone is doing. The fact is that it is plausible. Not probable. And the fact it takes it on in a serious light, is the point. It's about the over-use of technology, the overdependent nature of man of it.

Edit: There is a paradigm shift in thought with the evolution of any technology. It is slow, and most people have very little to do with it, with GITS it is mostly a new evolution of the internet, and the use of cyberbrains. What you see, are soldiers who are using full-body prosthetics. These are FEW and far between. You don't see many people walking about with camouflage all the time nowadays, same reason you see it with unique soldiers of a special group.

And so you know, there are several conflicts that turn into a Pan-Asian war, that turns into a nuclear world war. And that is how the Japanese become so powerful, is because they had a technology that eradicated the effects of radiation. And they sold it. A lot of it.
Last edited by E. LeGuille on 23 Sep 2009 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Long Live the Fighters.

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1184
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: Seraphan

Postby Redstar » 23 Sep 2009 22:34

My opinion? What exactly are you disagreeing with?

And I know the premise of the show. I watch it. It's one of my favorite series.

User avatar
E. LeGuille
Posts: 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2009 02:22

Re: Seraphan

Postby E. LeGuille » 23 Sep 2009 22:38

You are stating that it is impossible for people to take to this kind of technology, right?

The use of a forum, like this, is common now, correct? 10 years ago, though possible, it was not the every day. In fact, it was even less so than that.

What I find a problem with your disagreement, is that there is no way people would accept this technology so quickly. I disagree. That is what I am saying. Part of the evolution of technology is that people change their thought process very quickly. It's about convenience.
Image
Long Live the Fighters.

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1184
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: Seraphan

Postby Redstar » 23 Sep 2009 22:44

I don't disagree with the assumption that technology like this would be readily used in the future... What I disagree with is that it is used so unquestionably in such a short span of time.

People don't always latch onto convenience. I know many adults that dismiss the Internet and even computers as annoying contraptions, and they're still in their forties or younger. Even then, there's a difference between easily searching out information via a machine then there is actually becoming a machine... A quite possibly immortal, super-powered machine. I guarantee there will be riots, bills passed, and possibly even wars.

Why do I think this? Well, look at stem-cell research. Hardly as extreme as the technology depicted in Ghost in the Shell, but it still gets its detractors. Also, the Islamic terrorists are fighting us for our very dependence on convenience. We're fat and lazy and overly-horny and they don't like that. Religious wars happen for the most trivial things, and full-body prosthetics aren't trivial.

User avatar
E. LeGuille
Posts: 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2009 02:22

Re: Seraphan

Postby E. LeGuille » 23 Sep 2009 22:48

The argument of stem-cells is valid. However, if you remember -- it is an American debate. The Japanese are very different when it comes to major decisions like that. I'm sure Chigger would agree, if Japan was in charge of the world, and they had a debate over stem-cells, they would have already said Stem-Cells are fine. The problem with Stem-cells, is that it is an American tradition to turn everything into a religious debate. Because that kind of debate is philosophical, not logical. Japanese are not, by and large, practitioners of Shintoism anymore, so what religious issues are they going to have with this technology? Who is going to tell them no?

If you have no one stopping you, and no media blowing it out of proportion, then progress and acceptance happens much faster.
Image
Long Live the Fighters.

User avatar
TheDukester
Posts: 3808
Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
Location: Operation Enduring Bacon
Contact:

Re: Seraphan

Postby TheDukester » 23 Sep 2009 22:53

You guys are fun ...

ImageImageImage
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.

User avatar
Redstar
Posts: 1184
Joined: 25 Feb 2009 04:13

Re: Seraphan

Postby Redstar » 23 Sep 2009 23:24

Stem-cells were an example. Japan may or may not be conservative, but that makes no difference. If some country started manufacturing super-robot bodies for its citizens to occupy, then I can guarantee you some other nation is going to get pissed.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC depicts a world 27 years into the future when nearly every citizen in Japan, and nearly every citizen in the more developed nations, have full-body prosthetics or at least minor cybernetics. That simply is not enough time for the majority of the planet to accept something like that.

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: Seraphan

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 24 Sep 2009 11:42

I would argue that if a human being has a soul, then so would a machine with a human being inside it. A human being is a human MIND, that is all. You could loose any part of your physical body and be considered no less human, but if you are a braindead vegitable (rest of your body functioning fine) you are no longer a human being, you are dead.
Image


Return to “˲”